Bed thread: Slightly OT

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
ractar28

Re: Bed thread: Slightly OT

Post by ractar28 » Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:23 pm

allinknots wrote:Mattress shopping is so daunting because of the no-returns issue.
Costco will let you return mattresses. I have bought two Sealy sets from them and have been quite happy with them. After having Simmons replace my Beautyrest 3 or 4 times in 10 years, I wanted to try another brand. Costco's "return policy" is wonderful on items such as this.

Arizona-Willie

Post by Arizona-Willie » Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:30 pm

We have a Tempurpedic and if she gets up in the night I never even feel it. They are great for not transmitting movement from one sleeper to the other.

OldLincoln

Post by OldLincoln » Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:17 pm

One thing I learned recently about sleep number beds....

My son & daughter have a king sleep number, hers soft - his firm. I asked about snuggling and he laughed and said "when I roll off mine onto hers I drop about 3 inches. There is no middle, it's either her's or mine." Of course he said that's not an obstacle just a surprise the first time. They do really like it though.
ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet / F&P Simplex / DME: VA
It's going to be okay in the end; if it's not okay, it's not the end.

le_wif

Post by le_wif » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:12 pm

When we were shopping for a mattress, we tried out the Tempur Pedics and found that the 'wet sand' feel just didn't appeal to us. Many people swear by them, but we found them hard to move around on--but you sure didn't feel it if your partner could manage to roll over! When you go out mattress shopping, try out a few beds that have pocketed coils and see how you like them. I think some of the Beautyrests have them, and so do some of the Select Comforts (formerly known as King Koil, I think). We bought a Select Comfort with the pocketed coils, topped by mini pocketed coils, topped by 4 inches of memory foam. It's virtually motionless, but very supportive. It's also ridiculously thick but after two years, we couldn't be happier with it. My husband comes to bed much later than I do and I never even know it. (Unless he wakes me up on purpose... ) Now that he is being treated for his apnea, he doesn't thrash about when he sleeps--but even if one of us is restless, the partner still gets a good night's sleep. You may well find that two separate beds is your ultimate solution--and if so, go for it. A good night's sleep is important!

Le_Wif

ReginaJ

Post by ReginaJ » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:51 pm

We are in a similiar situation. The problem with us though is that we need different levels of firmness in order to be comfortable. I need soft, he needs extra firm. We are looking into getting a sleep number bed, but we won't be able to afford that for a while. What we have done, temporarily, is he has moved into our daughter's room and she is sleeping with me in our bed. I don't like it, but it is the only thing that we could figure out for right now.

Like you, we are young and happily married. We just can't sleep in the same bed comfortably.

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:05 pm

Or you can get two king-sized beds and then you can invite your friends for sleep overs
President-pretender, J. Biden, said "the DNC has built the largest voter fraud organization in US history". Too bad they didn’t build the smartest voter fraud organization and got caught.

Babette

Post by Babette » Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:14 pm

Thought I'd post this here. I saw an ad this weekend for a new hybrid bed - It's the Sleep Number bed, but with a Tempurpedic mattress. Might be an interesting idea for some.

http://www.selectcomfort.com/air_mattre ... am_bed.cfm

Cheers,
B.

I currently have a stash of Nasal Aire II cannulas in Small or Extra Small. Please PM me if you would like them. I'm interested in bartering for something strange and wonderful that I don't currently own. Or a Large size NAII cannula. :)

Lee Lee

Post by Lee Lee » Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:39 pm

So, for years and years and years, we had the top of the line Simmons Beautyrest. It was as hard as the kitchen table, but that was the "in" thing at the time for folks with back problems. My 6 foot 2 husband has some sort of restless leg/apnea issue (that he will not get treatment for, but that is another story). I had apnea (did not have a clue.)
We had the most awful sleep ever! We rolled and kicked and jostled and groaned. But we had such an expensive mattress!! We just could not figure it out!
We finally spent the money for a Kingsdown mattress, which is a king , but it's actually two XL twins. The beds have a remote control, and we can raise the head or foot, or the middle.
It does not have inner springs , which was the problem.
I won't say it's total Nirvana, but I will tell you I can't sleep well anywhere else but on my own mattress. It has changed our lives.
It was costly, but I would gladly pay it again.
Go to a mattress place like Healthy Back store. The folks there know what they are talking about. They made us lie down on a mattress with a computer and we saw the problem right away , with pressure points and movement. My back is like a thousand times better now.

Sweet dreams.

ichitumi

Post by ichitumi » Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:13 pm

There are different sizes for King beds. California Kings are usually longer, but Eastern Kings are wider. Those memory foam mattresses are pretty good about isolating movement. Basically you just lay there, the foam molds around you and that's pretty much it. I like the support they offer, but find that they keep me too warm.

I love bed shopping. I get to go to the stores and sleep around!

Post by Guest » Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:26 pm

My son and daughter-in-law just purchased a king size Simmons NX2 Plush. I haven't slept on it, but I lay down on it. I felt like I was in heaven. It's quite firm, but was great for me who usually gravitates to a softer mattress. Also, my daughter-in-law jumped on the other side of the mattress while I was lying there, and I didn't feel a thing! If we ever need another mattress, I'd definitely consider this one. We've had a king-size mattress for many, many years and would never buy anything smaller. Now with the cpap, it's so much better. We slept on a smaller mattress last weekend, and we both hated it.

profish

Post by profish » Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:39 pm

We have a king therapeutic. The model we got works like a hospital bed with two controllers for each side. It has two mattresses and zero movement at all. I usually sleep on my back with my head and knees raised slightly while my wife usually sleeps on her stomach. She tosses and turns like crazy and I never feel it if asleep. This bed is quite pricey though, if I remember right about $7000, but it has been a answer to my bad back and her flouncing all night.

Bookbear

Post by Bookbear » Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:26 pm

I would second the suggestion of a SelectComfort bed (king size). We have one and like it a lot. My wife is a VERY light sleeper, and she no longer feels it when I roll from my left side to my right side when sleeping. Plus, she can have her side a soft and squashy as she wants.

birdshell

Post by birdshell » Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:42 pm

OK, enough serious postings.

I'm surprised that Babette did not suggest this, but...

How about a bundling board? For more on this subject, please see:

Bundling Board

Best of rest,

Karen
Be kinder than necessary; everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Click => Free Mammograms

Babette

Post by Babette » Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:19 am

Ah Karen, I got so much flack the last time I mentioned bundling boards....

Truthfully - I'm a big advocate for king size beds. My late husband and I had one and it was great. He had one blankie, I had ten, we were both happy. I've slept in rooms where the bed took up so much room you couldn't walk around it - it was worth it. AND, when I was a kid, my parents took over the entire basement as their master bedroom, and let us kids have the second floor bedrooms. It was great for all of us. They got privacy, we got freedom to run and scream, separated by two floors.

You gotta do what you gotta do. Think outside the box. I currently share a very thin wall with an elderly neighbor. Every time she rolls over I hear it. New Beau and I have been spending way more time on the futon in the living room than in my bed. I'm contemplating just switching the bed to the living room and putting the computer and sewing stuff in the bedroom and finally having a "messy room" I can shut the door on. I don't have company, really, so who cares if my bed is in the living room? Besides, I lived for 10 years in a studio apartment with... THE BED IN THE LIVING ROOM!

Good luck!
B.

I currently have a stash of Nasal Aire II cannulas in Small or Extra Small. Please PM me if you would like them. I'm interested in bartering for something strange and wonderful that I don't currently own. Or a Large size NAII cannula. :)