OT: Time out and/or Duke it out thread

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Re: OT: Time out and/or Duke it out thread

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:50 pm

Oh, poor ghostie!
How did you make it through all hallows eve?

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:55 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:Granny; your gif is alarming; but I will accept the imagery as amusing--not a threat;
As we all will die some day, but not in such a cute manner.
chunky, what have you done to cause granny to repeatedly cause you emotional harm with her terrible frog images?

did you write something sensible and rational where she could read it, perhaps?

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Lucyhere

Post by Lucyhere » Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:05 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:As we all will die some day,
Not me. Not gonna die! I simply don't have the time!
Resmed AirSense 10 Autoset for her w/humid air/heated Humidifier
Bleep/P10

jnk...

Post by jnk... » Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:20 pm

C'mon, people! Enough nicey-nice already. If there ain't any enthusiastic duking it out happening all up in here soon, I'm gonna put this entire thread into time out. I've been in study halls that were more fun than this after-school detention.
-Jeff (AS10/P30i)

Accounts to put on the foe list: Me. I often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

cands

Post by cands » Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:24 pm

jnk... wrote:
cands wrote:I thing there should be a faux list.
I had several of those at one time, but kept forgetting which list was the real list.
Hey, thanks for responding.

I like this board. I look every day and have learnt a lot in a short space of time. There is great CPAP information to be had here, with excellent help given by many posters.

As a relative newbie, I am shit-scared of posting. If I write something 'stoopid', I will be shot down in flames. If I write something helpful or even moderately helpful I am totally ignored by the main posters. Sort of 'damned if you do, damned if you don't'

I do find the banter and vitriol entertaining in a slightly cringe-worthy 'reality TV' sort of way.

If I had a CPAP issue I need help with, this would not be my first choice of a place to post it. I would ask the nice folk on APNEABOARD.

Such a shame! Civilised moderation is not Censorship!

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:29 pm

cands wrote:I had several of thosIf I had a CPAP issue I need help with, this would not be my first choice of a place to post it. I would ask the nice folk on APNEABOARD.
where you *might* get an accurate answer, or you might get someone's error filled rambling where people are afraid to correct them, lest someone's feelings get hurt. it doesn't help that the people making the decisions about what is acceptable to post have so little clue about actual, effective cpap use.
cands wrote:Such a shame! Civilised moderation is not Censorship!
too bad that's not what happens over on apneaboard. you might notice you can't even type 'cpaptalk.com' in a PM over there.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:32 pm

jnk... wrote:C'mon, people! Enough nicey-nice already. If there ain't any enthusiastic duking it out happening all up in here soon, I'm gonna put this entire thread into time out. I've been in study halls that were more fun than this after-school detention.
how 'bout this theory someone mentioned...

the troll (look at the picture, people!) that goes by shittyeyes21 is paid by some rival DME to disrupt this forum since it's provided by cpap.com.

discuss.

Gasper62

Post by Gasper62 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:37 pm

I equate sleepyeyes with an inflamed hemorrhoid......... that just doesn't ever go away.

Lucyhere

Post by Lucyhere » Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:40 pm

cands wrote:I like this board. I look every day and have learnt a lot in a short space of time. There is great CPAP information to be had here, with excellent help given by many posters.

As a relative newbie, I am shit-scared of posting. If I write something 'stoopid', I will be shot down in flames. If I write something helpful or even moderately helpful I am totally ignored by the main posters. Sort of 'damned if you do, damned if you don't'

If I had a CPAP issue I need help with, this would not be my first choice of a place to post it. I would ask the nice folk on APNEABOARD.

cands... that's precisely what many of us feel. This thread is allowing people to come out of the closet and say what many of us have thought for years.

There are a handful of people who wouldn't shoot you down in flames. I think you have an idea of who they are. If not, PM me. I decided long ago that I would never ask a question in the forum. Who wants to be called stupid??

Thanks for posting!
Bleep/P10

jnk...

Post by jnk... » Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:48 pm

cands wrote: . . . If I had a CPAP issue I need help with, this would not be my first choice of a place to post it. I would ask the nice folk on APNEABOARD.

Might depend on the nature of the question.

This board is more old-school, like early Internet boards where dinosaur-thick skin was necessary before attempting controversial statements. I generally read the ugliest posts, though, as being tongue-in-cheek self-parody. It IS often the Wild West. BUT warts and all, I believe that lives are saved here.

Some may actually feel safest posting in this asylum-flavor free-for-all instead of the places with confusing rules. Many here cruise the civilized forums in order to privately point desperate ones to this place where less mainstream answers can be given.

But I agree 100% that this place is an acquired taste and that it can even be a scary place where sustained participation involves willingness to keep up the good fight despite the flames and tantrums.
-Jeff (AS10/P30i)

Accounts to put on the foe list: Me. I often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:49 pm

Gasper62 wrote:I equate sleepyeyes with an inflamed hemorrhoid......... that just doesn't ever go away.
that's really not fair to hemorrhoids... but maybe with enough preparation H.... even he/she/it... let's just go with 'it', might be tamed.

Lucyhere

Post by Lucyhere » Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:50 pm

palerider wrote:... that goes by shittyeyes21 is paid by some rival DME to disrupt this forum since it's provided by cpap.com.
There ya go! A conspiracy theorist in action. Did one of Trump's buddies ask you to say that?
Bleep/P10

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:55 pm

cands wrote:If I write something helpful or even moderately helpful I am totally ignored by the main posters. Sort of 'damned if you do, damned if you don't'
I have seen your posts. All pretty much helpful as far as I remember.
I don't know about the other forum members but when I see a post that answers the question then I rarely respond in that thread unless I am adding something different or maybe expanding something.
I don't see the need to repeat what someone else has already said and I don't/won't do it unless I just maybe miss reading it.
I am not much into doing the +1 thing to show agreement.

So..if you think I have ignored you it's not that I made a mental choice to "ignore a newbie"...it's just that I didn't have anything to add because you already said what I would have said and I move on to the next post/thread/whatever.

Would you feel better if one of the forum veterans said something to sort of back you up?
Are you a bit unsure about what you might be offering?

I used to do a bit more extra stuff behind some postings and I didn't mean to sound overly critical or anything like that but some people took it that way and I got blasted for actually trying to clarify something...and I didn't think I was doing it in a disrespectful manner but I sure got my butt chewed by some people and when I get my butt chewed I tend to chew back (so then things got ugly)...so I tend to stay out of a thread if the question is sufficiently already answered by anyone and that includes a newbie like yourself.
I know exactly what you mean...damned if you do and damned if you don't.

When it comes to me...if you say something and I don't say anything...that's a good thing because it means I didn't need to explain any further and I moved on.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

robysue

Post by robysue » Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:08 pm

cands wrote: As a relative newbie, I am shit-scared of posting. If I write something 'stoopid', I will be shot down in flames. If I write something helpful or even moderately helpful I am totally ignored by the main posters. Sort of 'damned if you do, damned if you don't'
One interpretation of a "moderately helpful post" being "totally ignored by the main posters" is that we (the main posters) didn't see anything inaccurate in your post and we did find that it would be helpful to the OP.

A lot of us old timers don't have time to post a lot of "Good Job!" responses to posts that have a helpful and accurate response. Some of us are busy with other things, including writing long and thoughtful posts on problems that are NOT easy to answer.

So do keep that in mind: If no one jumps in to correct you, that's a good sign that you posted something useful and accurate.

jnk...

Post by jnk... » Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:15 pm

palerider wrote:. . . paid by some rival DME to disrupt this forum . . .
How much you reckon they're payin'? I mean, hey, I can troll with best of them, and the market hasn't been doin' so well . . .
-Jeff (AS10/P30i)