How many mild apnea users use CPAP

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Chilehead

How many mild apnea users use CPAP

Post by Chilehead » Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:44 pm

My home apnea test showed a AHI of only an 8, pretty mild compared to what I see on this board. But it was a home test which I know under reports, and that night I didn't sleep well for some reason (probably not used to the equipment on my chest, nose and finger, plus the wires), and surprisingly my wife said I didn't snore that night. So I'm guessing that even though the report said I slept about 6.5 hours, it was probably a bunch less so my AHI was very likely much higher than an 8 - though even if double, I'd still be barely into moderate territory.

My question is how many people with mild apnea use CPAP therapy? I've been using this for 2 weeks, and I do feel like I'm more awake during the day. I'm no longer rushing out mid afternoon for a caffeine boost to stay awake at work. I was able to drive this past weekend for a number of hours without having to ask my wife to take over because I was tired - usually after an hour of driving I need a break. I have yet to watch TV of a movie though, as that was another time I'd fall asleep.

Is it possible people react to events differently than others? I can't imagine having an AHI 10x more than I have!

LSAT

Re: How many mild apnea users use CPAP

Post by LSAT » Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:54 pm

Chilehead wrote:My home apnea test showed a AHI of only an 8, pretty mild compared to what I see on this board. But it was a home test which I know under reports, and that night I didn't sleep well for some reason (probably not used to the equipment on my chest, nose and finger, plus the wires), and surprisingly my wife said I didn't snore that night. So I'm guessing that even though the report said I slept about 6.5 hours, it was probably a bunch less so my AHI was very likely much higher than an 8 - though even if double, I'd still be barely into moderate territory.

My question is how many people with mild apnea use CPAP therapy? I've been using this for 2 weeks, and I do feel like I'm more awake during the day. I'm no longer rushing out mid afternoon for a caffeine boost to stay awake at work. I was able to drive this past weekend for a number of hours without having to ask my wife to take over because I was tired - usually after an hour of driving I need a break. I have yet to watch TV of a movie though, as that was another time I'd fall asleep.

Is it possible people react to events differently than others? I can't imagine having an AHI 10x more than I have!
If a person has mild apnea (<15) and is not using CPAP they most likely are not on this board. They are home spending their nights choking and depriving their heart of oxygen whether they realize it or not.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:58 pm

I was dx'd at 13 events per hour, but was classified as moderate, probably because of co morbidities.
Mine was enough to prevent me from sleeping at least 80% of what I needed.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:29 pm

Chilehead wrote:My home apnea test showed a AHI of only an 8, pretty mild compared to what I see on this board. But it was a home test which I know under reports, and that night I didn't sleep well for some reason (probably not used to the equipment on my chest, nose and finger, plus the wires), and surprisingly my wife said I didn't snore that night. So I'm guessing that even though the report said I slept about 6.5 hours, it was probably a bunch less so my AHI was very likely much higher than an 8 - though even if double, I'd still be barely into moderate territory.

In my opinion, some of the people who get diagnosed in the lower (mild and moderate) stages MAY have gotten diagnosed before they reached the severe stage. This stuff doesn't go from nothing to severe overnight......can take years and years.

But my "treated" annual average AHI ( 0.3 ) is less than 1/10th of what the sleep lab came up with ( 46 ) in my sleep study.

Personally, I think the treated numbers are more important than the untreated numbers.

It can take time. It's "baby steps" and "one night at a time".

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:38 pm

It also depends on the length of your events, the O2 drop and what other problems you have.

You might have an AHI of 8 but if your SPO2 is below 80% then you are in trouble.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

curems

Post by curems » Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:53 pm

Quoting ChicagoGranny from another thread where she really gave me a good perspective:
ChicagoGranny wrote:
Only a mild apnea?

By definition of the medical field, the lower limit of "mild" is an average (AHI) of five breathing events per hour.

Think about sleeping 7 hours nightly and having five events per hour. This is 35 times per night that you struggle with breathing, are awakened and then fall back to sleep. What if someone choked you and woke you 35 times each night? Does that sound "mild"? Under those conditions, do you think you could lead a healthy and energetic life?
Mine was similarly diagnosed as mild at between 8 & 10, and I tend to underestimate the meaning of mild. Fortunately, my doctor is fabulous - she neither underestimates it nor overestimates it, she takes it very seriously, especially with my other diagnoses.

It's always nice to be told our diagnosis is mild but at the same time, it can be detrimental if we don't take it seriously because it is just "mild". I have benign MS which means that my symptoms are more annoyances than disabling and my relapses have been very few, nevertheless a serious relapse can happen at any time. I have benign high BP but while my mother's was controlled with the same drug I take, she had a massive cerebral hemorrhage so it isn't something to fool around with. I have mild asthma but an asthma attack can be very dangerous. I have osteopenia (not full fledged osteoporosis) but as I get older brittle bones can be a serious problem.

So, I also have mild OSA. It's only been a little under 3 months and I've had 100% compliance so far (close enough - I missed one night the first week because of a nasal cauterization and couldn't wear the mask I had but didn't miss any nights after my second cauterization). I haven't had a miraculous improvement but I do see changes. And most important, I'm taking responsibility for my own health and life. That's why I'm here on this board - trying to get all the information and all the support I can (what a wealth of both!) and trying to offer any that I can as well.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:58 pm

All of the ones that don't want to die! The rest do, or are just ignorant. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

sc0ttt

Post by sc0ttt » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:01 pm

My treated AHI is about 8 on a good night; sleep study was in the 70s. Yeah, I'd like it to be zero but it might never happen - my doctor says he can look at my charts and be confident that I'm not having bad desats even though it's not being measured... and I feel pretty good after a night of 8.

So I kind of doubt that I would have started CPAP for a sleep study value of 8 and good O2 sat and feeling fine. But that's not my situation, and I'm not going to recommend it to anyone else.