Fisher Paykel Zest CPAP Mask

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
raggedykat

Fisher Paykel Zest CPAP Mask

Post by raggedykat » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:54 am

Has anyone tried the new zest mask? I think I am getting one from my DME tomorrow to try out.
First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.
Mohandas Gandhi

DJ_Boxer

Re: Fisher Paykel Zest CPAP Mask

Post by DJ_Boxer » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:59 am

Wish I could help you out there but am just receiving mine in the post today and will by using it tonight.

DJ
"Embrace your dreams"- Angeal Hewley

sierragail

Post by sierragail » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:48 am

Hi RaggedyKat,
I have the Fisher Paykel Zest mask. I got it in Sept of this year when I got my sleep study done. They charged me $300 for it and now I find out that it costs less than $80 at cpap. Why is this not a crime, I wish I knew.

I like the Zest better than the Opus 360 nasal pillow mask (I got it at the same time as the Zest).

Things I like about the Zest:
1) it doesn't whistle
2) the air output holes don't get clogged
3) I can change sleep positions more easily and more comfortably than with the Opus

Things I don't like:
1) it leaves a dent in my nose bridge, and with every passing day this dent is looking more and more permanent
2) I moved the mask up higher, into a more comfortable position for my nose, so that it nearly rests on the nose bridge right between my eyes, but then air leaks out around my eyes
3) I would prefer the area covered by the mask to be a little larger, even though I have a small face

Things I changed:
1) In an attempt to stop the loss of air leaking out around my eyes (because I wear the mask up higher) I looked for a way to pinch the inner foam cushion part (the grey part) so it would fit more closely around this skinny part of my nose. I tried a paper clip but then realized that I'd probably end up poking my eyes out or punching a hole in my skin, so that was not an option. I didn't have too many materials on hand to experiment with and I live in a remote area. I saw a rubber band on the table and decided to wrap that around the top part of the foam cushion, just at the tip, at the top of this inner foam cushion, to cinch it in a bit. Then I re-placed the inner foam cushion into the silicone seal part, put the mask on and turned on the machine. No leaks! The silicone seal part bulges out when I breathe, but there are no leaks, so that was good news.
2) I made the headgear a little smaller. I cut the bottom band in the back (right in the middle of the bottom band) and removed a section and then sewed the 2 ends back together. I also cut the 2 "legs" that attach the upper band to the bottom band, removed sections, and then sewed the ends back together. I did this little surgery because no matter how tight I moved the velcro parts to adjust it, it just didn't fit my head right.
3) I also tied a small length of stocking across the top and it is tied to either side of the upper band, and goes right across the top of my head. I find this keeps the upper band of the headgear from slipping up and down on either side of my head.

I'll try to figure out how to post a picture of it. I'm still new at cpap therapy. This board has given me lots of courage to try things out and to not be shy about cutting into, altering, or otherwise messing around my mask to make it fit better for me.

sierragail

Post by sierragail » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:53 am

PS--I forgot another alteration I did. I wrapped a small length of stocking around the "elbow and hose swivel" part. I felt like that part needed protection from condensation. I was in a hurry and so I just wrapped the bit of stocking around it and tied it. I guess I should make something more attractive to put there, but the stocking bit works.

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:05 am

Not being particularly "domesticated" I've found velcro to be a woman's best seamstress friend. LOVE that stuff! My Simplicity headgear has stood the test of time, better than 6 months, w/velcro rather than stitches.

Now if only there were a way to velcro buttons instead of sewing them back on .........

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

sierragail

Post by sierragail » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:45 am

I have to say that my rubber band idea has turned out to be a real loser. It seemed to work okay, but.....I just now went to empty out my humidifier and clean the mask, and, uh......the rubber band is gone. I have no idea where it is. It didn't swallow it, I didn't breathe it in, it's not in the hose line or the machine. Where did it go.....I can't find it anywhere..

I wonder if I could put a drop of glue to cinch this foam cushion part in tighter? And what kind of glue would I use that wouldn't melt the foam?