OT Potassium

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
raisedfist

Re: OT Potassium

Post by raisedfist » Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:38 pm

I recommend just making sure you get in a regular supply of fruit and vegetables. If you feel very dehydrated at any time I recommend coconut water; it has a ton of potassium and it has sodium as well. Doesn't taste that great but I wouldn't say it's bad. I use it to mix with my liquor should I find myself having a drink or two. I wake up with zero headache :mrgreen:.

PS Min 6, PS Max 18, EPAP Min 4, EPAP Max 12

OlRedHair

Post by OlRedHair » Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:56 pm

raisedfist wrote:I recommend just making sure you get in a regular supply of fruit and vegetables. If you feel very dehydrated at any time I recommend coconut water; it has a ton of potassium and it has sodium as well. Doesn't taste that great but I wouldn't say it's bad. I use it to mix with my liquor should I find myself having a drink or two. I wake up with zero headache :mrgreen:.
Thank you for the suggestions. I have never tried coconut water, and will get some. A friend recently recommended a sports drink called Body Armor. It has a lot of potassium. I just purchased some but have not tried it yet.

Years ago my doctor actually prescribed a potassium supplement. But I’m trying to obtain as much as possible from foods sources.

Nora in Florida
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nora in Florida

RogerSC

Post by RogerSC » Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:36 pm

Sounds weird, but "Low-Sodium V8 juice" is loaded with potassium, and not a lot of carbs. For me, on a pseudo-keto diet *smile*, this is important to prevent awakening at night by leg cramps. I also take a potassium/magnesium supplement, but that's a max of 99mg of potassium, and just isn't enough. Even if I take two of the supplements. When I added a cup of V8 juice, finally got there.

Just in case anyone's looking for more potassium *smile*.

HoseCrusher

Post by HoseCrusher » Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:04 pm

Thanks, that is good to know.

Muse-Inc

Post by Muse-Inc » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:35 am

From https://www.nutrition-and-you.com/parsley.html Parsely "...The herb is a good source of minerals like potassium, calcium, manganese, iron, and magnesium. 100 g fresh herb provides 554 mg or 12% of daily required levels of potassium. Potassium is the chief component of cell and body fluids that helps control heart rate and blood pressure by countering pressing effects of sodium. Iron is essential for the production of heme, which is a critical oxygen-carrying component inside the red blood cells. The human body uses manganese as co-factor for the antioxidant enzyme, superoxide dismutase..."

ResMed S9 range 9.8-17, RespCare Hybrid FFM
Never, never, never, never say never.

HoseCrusher

Post by HoseCrusher » Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:12 pm

I just want to point out that 100g of parsley is about 4 cups...

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:44 pm

HoseCrusher wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:12 pm
I just want to point out that 100g of parsley is about 4 cups...
Holy Pile of Greens, Batman. :lol: Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Nohemi

Post by Nohemi » Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:53 pm

OlRedHair wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:56 pm
Thank you for the suggestions. I have never tried coconut water, and will get some. A friend recently recommended a sports drink called Body Armor. It has a lot of potassium. I just purchased some but have not tried it yet.

Years ago my doctor actually prescribed a potassium supplement. But I’m trying to obtain as much as possible from foods sources.

Nora in Florida
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My doctor also prescribed me potassium supplements when I started to fight with high blood pressure. I used to take it every day, but then I've chosen to better follow a healthier diet. Especially when I read on Canada Pharmacy about all those serious side effects it can cause. It's actually not so hard to get potassium naturally. Now bananas, avocado, nuts, citrus fruits, greens and green veggies, milk, potatoes, etc. are the part of my ration. And I must admit I do feel better when I eat more fruits and veggies.