Sensible replacement interval for P10 Nasal masks?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Zomby Woof

Post by Zomby Woof » Sat Sep 12, 2015 4:31 pm

My DME just sent a box full of P10 items, apparently paid for by Blue Cross.
I've been using my P10 for five months without replacing anything and it makes me wonder.

Today's shipment contains $500 of cpap gear!
one complete P10 mask kit with headgear and three sizes of pillows;
one new headgear-only kit;
five large nasal pillow replacements;
one new Slimline hose;
six fine filter replacements.

Yes, my headgear has stretched a bit, and, my nasal pillows are leaking more than they did.
Both probably need renewal now.
What should I expect? Should I replace my pillows monthly? My headgear every three months (as this shipment suggests)?
Replace the Slimline hose very six months?

You know I'll never sleep no more, It seem to me that it just ain't wise
Didja ever wake up in the mornin', With a ZOMBY WOOF behind your eyes?
Just about as evil as you could be.
Tellin' you all the Zomby troof, Here I'm is, the ZOMBY WOOF
- Zappa

LSAT

Re: Sensible replacement interval for P10 Nasal masks?

Post by LSAT » Sat Sep 12, 2015 4:43 pm

If you didn't give your approval to them, they are taking advantage of you and your insurance. Are you sure you didn't sign something when you signed for your original equipment that gives them this authority? Now that you have back ups on everything , tell them that you will call them when you need something. Everyone is different on what they want replace. A hose will last a year or more as well a mask frame. You will need pillow replacements occasionally. I have been using my mask and original headgear for 15 months.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:58 pm

I can use the P 10 nasal pillow for months and months and months. There's no need to change monthly just because the insurance is buying (usual insurance (and Medicare) is 2 nasal pillows per month.
I do keep a couple of spares in case one of my pets decides to use my mask parts as a chew toy. Had that happen once when I had washed the nasal pillow and left it on a towel on the kitchen counter to air dry and the cat knocked it off onto the floor and the dog ate it.

I have over 5,000 hours on my current Climteline hose

DMEs like to send you everything that they possibly can as often as they can because that's how they make their money.

In regards to the P10...the headgear is the weakest link IMHO. It gets stretched out from use and for a while hot soapy (really hot water) wash and rinse will bring the tension back but after 6 to 9 months the hot water trick didn't work for me.
I think I have 9 months on this nasal pillow...and I just put on new headgear because the older (used almost 10 months) just wouldn't spring back enough for me.

If you are going to have a copay with all these goodies...that will add up and beyond having a spare or two...unnecessary expense.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

SewTired

Post by SewTired » Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:45 pm

Replacement needs vary by the person and the conditions of the machine use. I agree with the others that there really is no SET schedule and you should tell your DME that they should no longer automatically send stuff. You will order when you need it. The replacement schedule was a minimum where someone could get a replacement, not a requirement that they must get a replacement! Get a few backups and then stop the flow.

One of the problems you can get with some of the masks is that the little breathe holes that prevent CO2 buildup get blocked and you can't clean them out. Someone mentioned (Pugsy?) that you can clean them with one of those dental water jet machines. In any case, that would be a reason to replace your mask now and then - if you can't get those holes clean any more.

My bro's previous DME would send him mask after mask when all he needed was the cushions. The full mask he uses is well made - one mask lasted 2 years - just needed new cushions. His tubes, if he got the brand name, lasted 2 years before wear would start in to leaking. If he was sent some generic one, it would crack after a couple of months because it fit too tightly onto his mask tube. Trying to separate them for washing and cracks would occur. So, we'll see what happens when we order. He doesn't use the heated tube option, so doesn't need more heated tubes; just decent quality non-heated tubes.

Airsense For Her; Settings: range 8-12, Airfit P10 (M)

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:01 am

SewTired wrote:One of the problems you can get with some of the masks is that the little breathe holes that prevent CO2 buildup get blocked and you can't clean them out. Someone mentioned (Pugsy?) that you can clean them with one of those dental water jet machines. In any case, that would be a reason to replace your mask now and then - if you can't get those holes clean any more.
Wasn't me but I did read about using something like a little Water Pik for cleaning. It's a good idea I thought.
I have never had the little holes get plugged up but then I use a heated hose and don't have rain out at the mask level anymore. I just use hot soapy water to clean the frame when I happen to think about it. No set routine and when "I think about it " is usually every one or so when I find that maybe the headgear could stand a little shrinking...once a month or two.
That part of the mask assembly will last in indefinite time with proper care. I am still on the same frame that I got initially in Jan 2014 when the mask was first released. I have replaced the headgear a couple of times and the nasal pillow once and that was more to try a different size to see if it would work than it was because I was having problems with the nasal pillow leaking.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:01 am

Pugsy wrote:
SewTired wrote:One of the problems you can get with some of the masks is that the little breathe holes that prevent CO2 buildup get blocked and you can't clean them out. Someone mentioned (Pugsy?) that you can clean them with one of those dental water jet machines. In any case, that would be a reason to replace your mask now and then - if you can't get those holes clean any more.
Wasn't me but I did read about using something like a little Water Pik for cleaning. It's a good idea I thought.
I believe that was our beloved frog.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

JustinD9

Post by JustinD9 » Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:54 pm

I am using the same P10 mask the last 7 months and yet to notice it stretching (YMMV). I use two pillows which I alternate daily which allows me to wash the other one in soap and water each night ( I think some one here had mentioned that setup) and it works well for me. So it stands to reason that each pillow has had 3.5 mths use and zero change regarding leaks.