Pad a cheeck AirFit/AirTouch F20 mask liners?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
djams

Pad a cheeck AirFit/AirTouch F20 mask liners?

Post by djams » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:03 pm

I'm looking for feedback on these mask liners specifically.

Currently using AirTouch F20, which has recommended 30 day replacement cycle. I'm thinking that I can possibly extend this greatly by using a mask liner. My first one actually lasted me around 60 days. Since my insurance deductible is met this year, I'm hoping to stretch the cushion life to the max, and stockpile at reduced rate for the rest of the year.

I started with the AirFit F20 which was fine, except that I ended up with open sores on the bridge of my nose. So I'm also thinking I can maybe go back to this mask with a a liner. It seemed like this one was "roomier" - if that makes any sense.

I've seen nothing but positive comments here regarding Pad A Cheek. But I'm looking for feedback on these liners specifically. Also trying to get an idea about how thick they are. I don't have a leak problem. Hoping for comfort and to extend mask cushion life.

Input greatly appreciated!

palerider

Re: Pad a cheeck AirFit/AirTouch F20 mask liners?

Post by palerider » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:26 pm

djams wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:03 pm
I'm looking for feedback on these mask liners specifically.

Currently using AirTouch F20, which has recommended 30 day replacement cycle.
Actually, the 'replacement schedule' is BS made up by the DMEs...

Medicare decided "we're not paying for these things more often than once a month"... and most insurance companies copied that.

The greedy DMEs decided "Oh, let's tell people to replace them once a month, and just sell them more stuff they don't need, to make us more money"...

And thus ... a 'recommended replacement cycle'.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

djams

Post by djams » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:19 pm

My experience so far (1 cushion) - it lasted 10 weeks. This is the airtouch memory foam model.

Since I'm paid up on my insurance deductible, I want to use that 30 day schedule to my advantage. And extending the life of the cushions would be great, if it's possible.

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:00 pm

djams wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:19 pm
My experience so far (1 cushion) - it lasted 10 weeks. This is the airtouch memory foam model.

Since I'm paid up on my insurance deductible, I want to use that 30 day schedule to my advantage. And extending the life of the cushions would be great, if it's possible.
memory foam may not last as long as silicone... but I've used two masks primarily... first was a mirage quattro, I bought a spare cushion on ebay. I replaced *every other* part of the mask at one point or another in the five? six? years I used it... still was waiting for that cushion to fail. (the elbow the hose connected to broke twice, the third one was redesigned and more sturdy. the headgear had to be replaced three or four times, and the mask frame itself finally wore down where the elbow hooks in... but the cushion? never had to open the spare). With the P10, insurance will pay for a new cushion every two weeks... I got two years.. maybe more, out of one... I regret buying as many spares as I did (I buy all my supplies direct).

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

CPAPSteve

Post by CPAPSteve » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:37 am

Although I have padacheek liners for everything on my AirTouch F20 that oddly I didn’t bother with the cushion liner because I had a new box of REMzzz’s I hadn’t used. That being sa D I am easily 2 weeks in on my AirTouch cushion (with a liner) and it looks and smells new still. You couldn’t tell that my cushion was ever used. I am more than confident that the mask will go for a good few months before it likely needs replacing.

Now to answer your question about the liners - padacheek makes great quality products that will easily last for more than the stated 6 months on their website. The liner although I don’t have one wraps around the straps to secure it in place and the design of them is definitely superior to those made by REMzzz’s.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:31 am

While I haven't seen Padacheek's products for this particular mask I have seen her liners and Remzzz's liners.
Padacheek liners are a bit denser/thicker with the material she uses. That could be both good and bad I suppose...depending on if a person likes a little thicker or not.

In terms of using any liner to prolong the life of the foam cushion on the AirTouch....it's just logical that if we can keep the facial oils and sweat off the foam it will prolong the foam's life.
Here's the thing about the foam though....even exposure to just air will eventually cause the foam to degrade....will take longer of course but it will eventually deteriorate even if a person didn't use it at all. How long I have no idea. So using a liner is unlikely going to give a person months and months of additional life (like the years some people can get out of a silicone cushion) but it well could extend the life substantially. I would think (again using logic) that the Padacheek liner might extend the life further than the Remzzz because of the way it fits and covers more of the foam and protect it from just air in general (along with protection from facial oils). Kill 2 birds with one stone kind of thing.

Also...I have often wondered how much prolonged life a person might get if they stored the mask during the day in some sort of little baggy to again limit exposure to the air. I have no way to test my idea though since I really can't use the type of masks that have the foam cushion. I just don't like anything touching my nasal bridge area of my nose...no way would I be able to use that kind of mask for any prolonged time frame to test my idea.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:10 am

djams wrote:
I ended up with open sores on the bridge of my nose.
I use the Airfit and I get agitation on my nose bridge. I use a strip of medical tape, then a strip of moleskin over the tape. It's a pain in the butt putting them on every night, but it works for me. Have you tried that?

Sheriff

MurrayNevada

Post by MurrayNevada » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:17 am

I use many Pad-A-Cheek products but their liner for my F20 AirTouch FFM is a bit too slippery (slides down my face). This is one time that I find the RemZzzs liners to work better than the Pad-A-Cheek ones.

djams

Post by djams » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:21 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:31 am

Padacheek liners are a bit denser/thicker with the material she uses. That could be both good and bad I suppose...depending on if a person likes a little thicker or not.
I'm actually looking for a bit thicker. Hoping that a little extra lift off of my face will make things roomier.
Pugsy wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:31 am
In terms of using any liner to prolong the life of the foam cushion on the AirTouch....it's just logical that if we can keep the facial oils and sweat off the foam it will prolong the foam's life.
Here's the thing about the foam though....even exposure to just air will eventually cause the foam to degrade....will take longer of course but it will eventually deteriorate even if a person didn't use it at all. How long I have no idea. So using a liner is unlikely going to give a person months and months of additional life (like the years some people can get out of a silicone cushion) but it well could extend the life substantially. I would think (again using logic) that the Padacheek liner might extend the life further than the Remzzz because of the way it fits and covers more of the foam and protect it from just air in general (along with protection from facial oils). Kill 2 birds with one stone kind of thing.
I did wipe my cushion off every day thinking of the skin oils. But it was always after work. Didn't wan't to wake my wife up in the morning. She is a light sleeper. Can't tell you how many times I wondered if I was wasting my time due to this delay.
CPAPSteve wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:37 am
Although I have padacheek liners for everything on my AirTouch F20 that oddly I didn’t bother with the cushion liner because I had a new box of REMzzz’s I hadn’t used. That being sa D I am easily 2 weeks in on my AirTouch cushion (with a liner) and it looks and smells new still. You couldn’t tell that my cushion was ever used. I am more than confident that the mask will go for a good few months before it likely needs replacing.

Now to answer your question about the liners - padacheek makes great quality products that will easily last for more than the stated 6 months on their website. The liner although I don’t have one wraps around the straps to secure it in place and the design of them is definitely superior to those made by REMzzz’s.
Thanks for the feedback. I noticed on the web site the slits that would seem to hold it in place nicely. Good to hear you believe a liner is keeping the foam "fresh".
Sheriff Buford wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:10 am
djams wrote:
I ended up with open sores on the bridge of my nose.
I use the Airfit and I get agitation on my nose bridge. I use a strip of medical tape, then a strip of moleskin over the tape. It's a pain in the butt putting them on every night, but it works for me. Have you tried that?

Sheriff

Howdy Sheriff! I tried an appropriate sized cloth bandage for a couple of nights. While the bridge of my nose didn't start to blister, I still had irritation. I think I need something thicker. Moleskin huh? Thanks for the tip, I'll keep that in mind.
MurrayNevada wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:17 am
I use many Pad-A-Cheek products but their liner for my F20 AirTouch FFM is a bit too slippery (slides down my face). This is one time that I find the RemZzzs liners to work better than the Pad-A-Cheek ones.
Thanks MN. I haven't even looked at REMzzz offerings. I'll check them out tonight.

Really appreciate all the responses! Thanks very much. Will aid greatly in my decision. May end up with both, who knows? If I do, I'll come back and let everyone know which I go with, and why.

djams

Post by djams » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:41 pm

Update on this. I received my padacheek mask liner last week.

On my airtouch F20 memory foam cushion, the added fabric in the bridge of my nose area ends up restricting airflow through my nose. I mention above that I was hoping it would make things roomier - ended up being quite the opposite. Very restrictive. It's like I couldn't push the material up into the area that covers the bridge of my nose.

On my airfit F20 cushion, same thing but not quite as bad. But I'll be darned if I could get it to pass the leak test.

I have a feeling that I'm right on the edge between medium and large cushion. This is odd, because I have a pretty small head. Thinking that a large mask cushion might help. But then again, the fit of the liner around the medium mask was so tight that I was unable to push that material up into the nose crevice in the cushion. This might be worse with a large cushion. :?:

I worked with it for around 20 minutes or so. If anyone has suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

snuzyQ

Post by snuzyQ » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:42 pm

You might try the Silent Night CPAP Mask Liners, which are a thinner layer of cotton jersey with wrap around strips that keep the excess fabric neatly tucked away. I've done some ordering from cpapXchange with excellent customer service. Unfortunately, the liners are probably as expensive as the ones you just bought...but they are apparently reusable, which should make them a bit more economical than other brands. My SD card and reader arrived promptly (sooner than expected) and was in excellent condition.
Machines: PR System One Auto CPAP; husband: ResMed Airsense 10 Auto CPAP
Masks: ResMed Swift FX nasal pillows for her; husband: ResMed Swift FX nasal pillows
Pressures: 8 - 12, Flex 2; husband: 9.6 - 13 (ramp 10, EPR 2)
DX OSA: Both 10/2012

djams

Post by djams » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:43 am

Update on this - as I left a pretty negative impression in the last update.

It turns out that I'm an idiot - again. There are rectangular velcro strips that hold the liner in the wrap-around position on the cushion. I looked at these and just lined them up exactly (loop side and hook side). Well, it finally dawned on me that it's a velcro connection for a reason - so it can be adjusted to suit your liking. Very easy to adjust these so that the airflow restriction I mentioned above goes away completely, and everything is very comfortable.

My initial dissatisfaction was user error - something I'm pretty adept at. :)

library lady

Post by library lady » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:59 am

I have been using the F20 since they first came out with it. I think it was 3 or 4 years ago; prior to that I used the F10. I am currently on my first replacement one. I use Remzz style liners. I started with Remzz brand, washed them daily for a couple weeks before replacing with a new one. Then I found a pattern online and printed it so I could make new ones from old t-shirts. Now I don't wash them daily but once a week I put into the washing machine in a mesh wash bag once a month and lay them flat to dry. I have lots of the old Remzzs along with the ones I cut from the pattern and keep them in a covered plastic tub that fits in the drawer of my nightstand. Your mask will last a long time if you wash it regularly.

Another poster said monthly replacements are BS... that is the correct assessment. My DME at Mayo Clinic gave me a chart with the suggested replacement time by which insurance or Medicare will pay for new CPAP accessories, and that is what I go by.

Now using AirFit F10 mask; Quattro Air is backup mask. RemZzzz mask liners with both.

MrsRinPDX

Post by MrsRinPDX » Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:05 pm

library lady wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:59 am
I have been using the F20 since they first came out with it...

...Another poster said monthly replacements are BS... that is the correct assessment. My DME at Mayo Clinic gave me a chart with the suggested replacement time by which insurance or Medicare will pay for new CPAP accessories, and that is what I go by.
I have to respectfully disagree. With my higher pressures, I can tell the seal goes after 30 days or so. Your mileage may vary.

Additional Comments: Pressures: IPAP 18/ EPAP 14; Secondary mask - Nuance Pro Nasal Pillow

MrsRinPDX

Post by MrsRinPDX » Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:07 pm

MrsRinPDX wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:05 pm
library lady wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:59 am
I have been using the F20 since they first came out with it...

...Another poster said monthly replacements are BS... that is the correct assessment. My DME at Mayo Clinic gave me a chart with the suggested replacement time by which insurance or Medicare will pay for new CPAP accessories, and that is what I go by.
I have to respectfully disagree. With my higher pressures, I can tell the seal goes after 30 days or so. Yes, I start with squeaky clean equipment and a freshly washed face nightly. Your usage mileage may vary.

Additional Comments: Pressures: IPAP 18/ EPAP 14; Secondary mask - Nuance Pro Nasal Pillow