ResMed Shutting Off and not turn back on when power goes out

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
nmbugs

ResMed Shutting Off and not turn back on when power goes out

Post by nmbugs » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:34 pm

It seems silly that Resmed or any cpap/bipap has a soft button. My oxygen has a hard on/off button so if there is a flicker in the power (it's on a surge protector) it doesn't shut off and stay off. Anyways living out here in hillybilly hell, the summers we have a lot of power issues. We rarely lose power but the lights will flicker or be off for 30 sec then come back on. This is really bad when it happens at night though with my bipap since it has a soft power button. So when lose that power for a sec or two the unit shuts off but doesn't come back on when the power does.

To me this seems like a really bad design flaw for medical equipment. I am ordering new batteries for my old battery backup to put my unit on that, to hopefully resolve waking up with my machine off and feeling like I cannot breathe! Last night I went 2 1/2hrs with my mask on but without my bipap on and I felt it all day today.

Is there any reason these expensive machines don't have the ability to restart after losing power? Is there a setting on the machine to restart after power and nobody set it to do so? Seems like machines that do so much for our health should stay on all night, right?

Sorry for my vent. I am a little frustrated with this machines faults...lol. Probably because I was doing so well with it but then with the power going out, not getting a good nights sleep I am a bit cranky and worried it's going to happen again tonight

Resmed Aircurve 10 ASV w/ humidifier and climate line tubing w/ 2L O2. Just restarted therapy after stopping bipap for 1 yr due to complications w/ increased centrals

avi123

Re: ResMed Shutting Off and not turn back on when power goes out

Post by avi123 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:56 pm

Use a multi socket to plug your VPAP and also plug into it this:

http://www.amazon.com/PowerOut-Power-Fa ... _pr_sims_i

it costs $16 and during a power stoppage (even a momentary one) it will sound a soft alarm sound and put its own light on.

when the power returns its light will go off and then you use your finger to turn the VPAP machine on manually. IMO, you should be able to continue respirating while wearing the mask by using the vent holes in the mask and/or also back into the stopped VPAP if there is no antiaspyxia valve, for hours without suffocating, during power outage. Try it now.

Last edited by avi123 on Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
see my recent set-up and Statistics:
http://i.imgur.com/TewT8G9.png
see my recent ResScan treatment results:
http://i.imgur.com/3oia0EY.png
http://i.imgur.com/QEjvlVY.png

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:10 pm

The auto-start feature may depend on instant, full power return to turn back on.
If power interrupts, the voltage may fluctuate, or come on gradually,
and the machine is unable to process as normal. Manual operation is always an option,
Especially when unreliable power is in the picture.

Post by Guest » Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:31 am

I thought that factory default was for these machines to return to whatever operation they were performing before the power went out when power is restored. You should be able to simulate this by simply unplugging from power then plugging back in.

That is to say your machine may be defective. Do you have a DME you could question on this operation?

archangle

Post by archangle » Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:30 am

Turn on the smartstart function on your S9 unit if you haven't already done so. Do you know how to get into the clinician's menu?

However, since you have a FFM, it may or may not work. Actually, some older models of the S9 won't let you turn smartstart on if you have the machine set to FFM. Even if the machine does let you turn it on, with an FFM, it may or may not work.

I forget whether it was the S9 or PRS1 machine, but one of them would automatically restart if the power was off for less than 5 minutes or so, but would not restart if the power was off longer than that.

Edit: it was the PRS1 machine that had the 5 minute break. My S9 seems to come back on automatically if I pull the power for a few seconds and then plug it back in. I haven't experimented with longer power off periods.

A small UPS could help your S9 unit work through short power outages. Some older CPAP machines like S8 units might be damaged by the MSW waveform from some UPS units, but the S9 should be fine.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:49 am

SmartStart is a feature on the S9 machines that when turn on should restart the machine after a power outage and power has returned because the machine turns on when it senses breathing.

When you first put the mask on at night do you have to push the button to start the machine blowing or does it come on with just a couple of breaths?

Smart start sometimes doesn't work so great at the lower pressures though...like 4 to 6 because sometimes not enough air is moving.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

OboeVet

Post by OboeVet » Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:19 pm

You might want to put an "uninterruptible power supply" (UPS) between the house power and your machine. If your power problems are usually short, you would not need too much battery capacity to carry you through the fluctuations and short outages. They are the same things computer users use and are readily available at office supply stores and maybe places like WalMart and CostCo, too. They also monitor spikes and brown-outs and smooth out most fluctuations from faulty power supplies.

Just remember to set the UPS to silent alarm, or it will wake you up with an alarm that the power has gone to the battery, defeating the purpose of a sound night's sleep.

Don

Post by Guest » Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:48 pm

archangle wrote:My S9 seems to come back on automatically if I pull the power for a few seconds and then plug it back in. I haven't experimented with longer power off periods.
That is the feature I am talkin about.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:10 pm

Sometimes Smart Start will have trouble with the smallest size of nasal pillows,
But this has no connection with power outages--I think.

nmbugs

Post by nmbugs » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:07 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:Sometimes Smart Start will have trouble with the smallest size of nasal pillows,
But this has no connection with power outages--I think.

Anyone know how it works with oral masks? I am considering switching to the Oracle 452 mask since I have had 4 sinus surgeries. I have had a lot of sinus pain and even bruising (around the eyes) from the pap therapy. I can only assume it is from all the reconstructive/sinus windows and stuff not doing well with the pressures. It isn't from the mask being too tight or wrong size. Knowing my luck it probably won't work well with that mask either...lol.

Resmed Aircurve 10 ASV w/ humidifier and climate line tubing w/ 2L O2. Just restarted therapy after stopping bipap for 1 yr due to complications w/ increased centrals

nmbugs

Post by nmbugs » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:10 pm

OboeVet wrote:You might want to put an "uninterruptible power supply" (UPS) between the house power and your machine. If your power problems are usually short, you would not need too much battery capacity to carry you through the fluctuations and short outages. They are the same things computer users use and are readily available at office supply stores and maybe places like WalMart and CostCo, too. They also monitor spikes and brown-outs and smooth out most fluctuations from faulty power supplies.

Just remember to set the UPS to silent alarm, or it will wake you up with an alarm that the power has gone to the battery, defeating the purpose of a sound night's sleep.

Don
Sorry that's what I meant, not backup but battery for UPS. I have a couple really big ones my husband got years ago but they need new batteries. I still feel these machines should come back on all by themselves for as much as we pay for them...lol. I am going to give the smartstart a try tonight and see what happens.

Thanks to everyone for all the replies!

avi123

Post by avi123 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:33 am

I have just tried my S9 Autoset. I turned off the switch on the 6-Outlet Power Strip to which the S9 power supply is connected while the S9 was running. Then I waited about a minute and switched the Power Strip back ON. The S9 started to work as usual and blow air without my need to push the Start button. I then changed the Power Off waiting time from right away to about 5 minutes. It was the same. The S9 always started on its own when the voltage came back. I do NOT use the Smartstart.

About the Oracle mask 452 enter it into to search box above, there are a few posters who use it.

Since when avi is a bug?

see my recent set-up and Statistics:
http://i.imgur.com/TewT8G9.png
see my recent ResScan treatment results:
http://i.imgur.com/3oia0EY.png
http://i.imgur.com/QEjvlVY.png

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:57 pm

Avi could be an abbreviated avatar--but a bug?
Something new every day. Doggone it, now I need a snack.

nmbugs

Post by nmbugs » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:58 am

My smartstart seems to be working fine with my mask. We had a couple power outages last night as we had a bad storm. So all is well there.

Yes, avi short for avatar. Before I got sick I was a macro photographer (easing back into it once again ) and so my avi might be something creepy crawly or something strange looking. Matter of fact I will give you all something new to look at here in a moment