Anyone ever wake up in the night incredibly frustrated?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
raisedfist

Anyone ever wake up in the night incredibly frustrated?

Post by raisedfist » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:02 am

I've been using the Airfit P10 Nasal pillows for a while and I get great AHI feedback with good leak levels, but I find myself waking up with slightly sore nostrils and what is seemingly "nasal congestion" no matter how I play with the humidity settings.

I've been trying the Simplus full-face mask the last week or so and the first few nights it went well enough, although I did notice my leak rate increased somewhat, as well as my AHI slightly. My usual AHI is amazing, 0 - .3 in the last 30 days of therapy. I do notice that my nose feels "more clear" when I use the FFM and am waking up. I feel better upon waking up, with the FFM. My pressures are not really high: 13/8

Last night I woke up and no matter how I positioned the mask I could feel air slightly leaking around my eyes. I readjusted the mask to no avail. I have a clean shaven face, wiped my face and mask before use every night. I checked my data and it said my AHI for the 8 hours thus far was 2.3. Obviously 2.3 isn't a bad AHI objectively, but considering I have not seen that level at all I must have had significant leaks. I ended up getting frustrated and switched to my nasal pillows but I was so upset that I just laid in bed the last two hours before having to get up and get ready for work.

PS Min 6, PS Max 18, EPAP Min 4, EPAP Max 12

Bons

Re: Anyone ever wake up in the night incredibly frustrated?

Post by Bons » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:52 am

There are nights I do. Leaks or odd noises or mashing the mask into my face with the pillow. But I'm alive to be frustrated I guess.

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:18 am

both of you, head over to padacheek.com

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

DoninOrlando

Post by DoninOrlando » Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:25 pm

both of you, head over to padacheek.com
+1

The pad-a-cheek liner helps me with those very small leaks around eyes. Big difference in comfort and small leaks. My leaks were caused by skin oils and sweat about 3-4 hours into sleep. I also wash my face every night and wipe or wash mask. The liner absorbs the oils and sweat. One more thing to wash but well worth it.

Orlando FL
Started CPAP 10-23-2009
Been using PRS-One Auto for 11 years, recalled :(
09/20/21 starting new Airsense 10 Autoset, Mirage Quattro FFM
Settings: Auto 18-20

raisedfist

Post by raisedfist » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:42 am

I just used one of the chin-up strips last night. perfect AHI of 0.0 and leaks were on point. Does a great job of keeping your mouth (mostly) shut throughout the night.

PS Min 6, PS Max 18, EPAP Min 4, EPAP Max 12

knothead

Post by knothead » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:00 am

If I wake at night and my mask is leaking due to an unforeseen reason I just push the panic button and it automatically reverts back to sleep mode and all is well...

SewTired

Post by SewTired » Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:24 pm

Yes, I did often wake up frustrated. I love the P10 mask for the lack of leaks, but it was bruising my nose. I just have a big head. What I found that works for me is to wear it 3-4 nights and then switch off to another mask. I chose the Sleepweaver masks for that originally. They work well, but I have to wear a sleepmask or I get air in my eyes. I bought the Walgreens brand sleep mask because the cups don't press on my eyes.

I really like the Dreamwear, but it is a bit like pulling a stuffed snake around your face (I have pad-a-cheek for it). I got totally frustrated when I first used it and set it aside. After life slowed down a little, I tried it again. I've been using it for 2 months straight and it does NOT bruise my nose at all, but is leakier. Most nights no leaks and then I'll have a spate of 20-60 minute leaks. It is very comfortable otherwise though.

So, what's the problem? Your DME warehouse personnel rarely use cpap themselves so can't adjust for people who switch between masks. I had a lot of frustration with the ordering department. Since then, the DME office that I work with told me to just ring off and then call them and they will send me the stuff I need directly. So, make sure that if you decide to regularly switch between masks that you work with your DME office on it to reduce your difficulties OR simply order from an online retailer. I just scanned and emailed my prescription to our sponsor and that took care of the prescription part.

Airsense For Her; Settings: range 8-12, Airfit P10 (M)

OboeVet

Post by OboeVet » Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:44 pm

Also, make sure your upper pressure is not too high, pushing air out of the mask. I had more wake-up leaks and higher AHI and Periodic breathing until it was slightly lowered.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:05 pm

Adjust you mask fit at the highest pressure you need to hold your airway open. Pull your mask away from your face to let the seal relax (center). Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:01 am

raisedfist wrote: Last night I woke up and no matter how I positioned the mask I could feel air slightly leaking around my eyes. I readjusted the mask to no avail. I have a clean shaven face, wiped my face and mask before use every night
If you can't get the leaks into your eyes to stop then read this entry plus the one below it:
viewtopic/t113574/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1 ... s#p1064604

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.