No lips left

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
idahogal

No lips left

Post by idahogal » Thu Feb 23, 2006 3:02 pm

I got brave last night while staying away from home and decided to try the Nexcare paper tape. I folded over the end for easy morning removal and the tape worked great! I woke up this morning and went to remove the tape and OUCH!!!!!!!! It literally tore skin off my lips. Any other suggestions besides a FFM which I recieved today and will try tonght. Thanks

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Thu Feb 23, 2006 3:25 pm

idahogal, the Nexcare Paper Tape sticks too well and tears the skin off my face also, leaving a red rash. Several other brands and types of tape either cause a rash-like irritation for me; or, at the other extreme, simply don't hold well enough.

For me, Johnson and Johnson waterproof adhesive tape works best - two long overlapping strips of the one inch width size. Turning down the ends of each strip for handy grab-tabs, of course. Face needs to be freshly washed and completely dry before applying the tape.

Tegaderm works for me too, but only for random nights. Three nights in a row with Tegaderm will start causing me irritated skin and rash. Luckily, the J&J suits me night after night after night.

I guess what I'm saying is, don't give up completely on the idea of taping because of skin irritation with one brand or another. Try some other brands.

SLEEPYCD

Post by SLEEPYCD » Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:47 pm

I use 3M Nexcare Waterproof Tape (tan in color, not paper tape) . It is soft & pliable and doesn't eat up my lips or skin, and comes off without alot of OUCH!!!!!!
Carolyn

inacpapfog

Post by inacpapfog » Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:09 pm

Just goes to show that what doesn't work for one person works best for another! I can not use the J&J waterproof tape because it irritates my skin after about 2 hours (itchy,red) The paper tape would not seal for me at all! Durapore tape is my #1 choice because it seals and leaves no residue or irritation. I am able to coat my lips with lip balm before taping up for the night and it holds just fine! Even if I peel the tape back to take sip through a straw, I simply press back into place and all is fine!

SLEEPYCD

Post by SLEEPYCD » Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:23 pm

inacpapfog,
Where do you get your Durapore??? Haven't seen it. Would like to try it.
Carolyn

hecate

Post by hecate » Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:34 pm

I was thinking about getting a dental dam and glueing it onto a large piece of elastic bandage and wrapping that around my lips.

Another alternative I was thinking of is to get my lips pierced and tying them together. I think that would go down nicely in Boise.

Liz

idahogal

Post by idahogal » Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:06 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. I will continue to experiment with the tape. I am hoping that by the time I get done I will still have some lips to work with.

hecate: Piercing!!! Now that is the creativity that keeps me coming back! You are right, people in Boise would not appreciate the functionality of a dual lip piercing like we would.

Thanks again

Susan

idahogal

Post by idahogal » Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:22 am

I tried my FFM last night and it felt wonderful until it started leaking so obviously I am going to have to play with the adjustments on it. After about 1/2 and hour of adjusting and re adjusting, I decided to go back to my Nasal Aire for the night. I strapped myself in and got out the tape. This time I tried the J&J. It went on great, felt fine and I was out for the count. I woke up twice in the night with a "blowout" in my right side. Now previous to cpap this would have really sent me over the edge. Last night my husband was awakened by the sound of giggling. I just could not help myself. I kept thinking to myself, I wonder how many people wake up in the night with a blowout..., LOL. I got up this morning and removed the tape without a problem. I am not sure if it was because there was no skin for it to pull off from the previous moring torture or if it just did not stick as hard. Well, I think I am on the right track anyway. I dont think I will need to be running to the piercing shop any time soon. I am going to keep up with the trial and error period until I get a full, uninterupted night of sleep. Wish me luck.

CPAPopedia Keywords Contained In This Post (Click For Definition): CPAP

Amigo

No Lips

Post by Amigo » Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:05 am

idahogal, this is probably too obvious, but are you "curling" your lips inward toward your teeth when you apply the tape?

After it's on you can relax them, but you should then do it again before removing the tape.

As I said, this is probably too obvious, but I wanted to be sure that you didn't do any more damage to those kissable lips

inacpapfog

Post by inacpapfog » Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:09 pm

Sleepycd, I bought my last supply of Durapore (4 rolls) from a discount store (Big Lots.) Last time I checked though they were out. I went online and found several places to order the Durapore. Prices range from 14.00 - 24.00 for box of 6 rolls. When I get down to my last roll, I will order a box online! I buy the 2'' Durapore so that I do not have to double it. One piece, with the ends tabbed like rested gal recommends, works great!

idahogal

Post by idahogal » Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:38 pm

Amigo,

Thanks, that is a good call. Yes I am curling my lips. I appreciate the insight. You never can tell what steps people are taking form the other side of the board so I appreciate any info I can get. I am hoping that maybe it is just an adjustment period and I will get through this too. I will try again tonight.

SLEEPYCD

Post by SLEEPYCD » Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:24 am

Inacpapfog,
Thanks, I'll look for Durapore and try it out.
Carolyn

lindas888

Re: No lips left

Post by lindas888 » Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:07 am

idahogal wrote: I woke up this morning and went to remove the tape and OUCH!!!!!!!! It literally tore skin off my lips.
All I can say is OUCH.....
^^^^^^^^
Linda
^^^^^^^^
lindas88
^^^^^^^^

idahogal

Post by idahogal » Sat Feb 25, 2006 3:17 pm

WAHOOOOOOO! I finaly decided to forego the tape last night and slept like a log with no leaks! I am so glad I am finally "getting it".

roztom

Post by roztom » Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:37 am

ANybody taping successfully with a moustache?

Tom
"Nothing To It, But To Do It"

Un-treated REM AHI: 71.7
Almost All Hypopneas
OXY Desat: 83.9%

Trying To Get It Right