What needs Padding in your opinion, besides the mask....

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
PADACHEEK 1

What needs Padding in your opinion, besides the mask....

Post by PADACHEEK 1 » Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:28 am

Hi All,
As some of you know, I make PAD A CHEEKs sold here on CPAP.com by Johnny Goodman. They help to prevent strap marks from CPAP mask straps. (a problem I had initially with my mask)

After having been approached by assorted hose head types like me to make neck pads and swift buckle pads and even chin strap pads, I was just wondering if you could give me some feedback.
What, in your opinion, could use a PAD developed for it to improve comfort for the users of CPAP, BiPAP, APAP and any other PAP I might not know about yet.....I cannot pad the mask in any way...unfortunately. But straps etc. are all fair game.. And I do not make hose covers for those who wondered that. (I have no experience in preventing rain out , sorry.)

Please post your suggestions here and I will see about developing the most needed Padding.

Thank you for your input. I think by putting our heads together, we can see similar needs. I would love to have each of you sleep more comfortably.
Karen Moore of PAD A CHEEK

Pad A Cheek
Location: Virginia, In the shadow of the Blue Ridge Mountains

Got guested sorry

Post by Pad A Cheek » Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:29 am

I got guested sorry
That really was me above.
Karen Moore

StillAnotherGuest

Padacheek

Post by StillAnotherGuest » Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:46 am

Is your device exempt from the FDA list of Medical Devices?
SAG

Sleepless on LI

Post by Sleepless on LI » Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:51 am

SAG,

I don't think Karen's covers are a medical device (Karen???). They just pad the straps to make them more comfortable and do not interfere in any way with the treatment. Are the hose covers made of fleece considered medical devices because they are along the same lines of Karen's product? I am not being facetious, honestly. Sometimes when you can't hear a spoken word written in email, etc., it comes across wrong. It was an honest question I don't know the answer to.

Karen,

I have to say, the Swift buckle cover was incredible and I think you picked a great idea with that one on your own. Although I used it on the top strap, others who sleep on their backs could use it on the back strap, too, since it still allows adjustment while in place.

You're going to end up with quite a lot of comfort products in the PAC line. Keep up the great work. You are helping so many uncomfortable pappers to have better nights. Thanks!

L o R i

PADACHEEK 1

FDA regulations

Post by PADACHEEK 1 » Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:14 am

Yes SAG,
My PAD A CHEEK products are completely free of the FDA regulations. I have been in contact with the FDA on this one and can truthfully say there is no regulation required for these. The PAD A CHEEK products are not considered to be medical devices. They do not interfere with or proclaim to aid the treatment of sleep apnea. These are strictly PADS to make the devices more comfortable to wear, thus improving compliance of the treatment.
This is a good thing. For people who have suffered with red marks or chaffing at the back of their neck or from discomfort from the buckle on top of their heads, the PAD A CHEEK products provide some relief. I am so pleased to be able to help people who had an issue with the CPAP treatment at the beginning. And now I am finding more and more people who have suffered with these issues for a while that are so pleased to have found some help at last.
As we all know, being treated for sleep apnea has enough trials and tribulations associated with it. Soreness from the devices should not be one of those trials.
I wish for you each, restful and refreshing sleep.
Karen Moore

Post by Guest » Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:12 pm

Do you make forehead pads? My forehead has a dent in it from the headpad on the mask.

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:02 pm

Karen, your "Pad-A-Cheek" strap covers idea has helped a lot of people wear their masks more comfortably. You deserve a trophy!

ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

greyhound

Post by greyhound » Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:10 pm

Funny you should ask. I was about to e-mail you with a suggestion when I saw this thread. I'd like to see a cover that would replace the ComfortCurve cheek pads (both the silicone and foam pads). This would enable the side pieces (?) to sit closer to your face, rather than off the face which they are with the thicker covers that come with the mask. I think someone in an earlier thread mentioned that she had cannibalized a pad-a-cheek to make a cover similar to the one I'm suggesting.

Sleepless on LI

Post by Sleepless on LI » Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:12 pm

greyhound wrote:Funny you should ask. I was about to e-mail you with a suggestion when I saw this thread. I'd like to see a cover that would replace the ComfortCurve cheek pads (both the silicone and foam pads). This would enable the side pieces (?) to sit closer to your face, rather than off the face which they are with the thicker covers that come with the mask. I think someone in an earlier thread mentioned that she had cannibalized a pad-a-cheek to make a cover similar to the one I'm suggesting.
Greyhound,

PM or write to Karen via email. She is always open and willing to help ANYONE if she can. Tell her what exactly it is you're looking for and, if I know her, and I believe I do, she will make you what you need. She is one amazing woman.
L o R i

ozij

Post by ozij » Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:37 pm

The Breeze's outrigger - I put a thick tennis sock between it and my head, which seems to protect it some, and, especially, changes the size and shape of the "head" I put the Breeze on, thus making it easier to fit the Breeze to my nose.

On the same priciple - for those women who feel the Aura's headgear is way too large, strategic padding can make it smaller, and possilbly more useful.

In general, any "resize/reshape" padding might tilt a mask from bad to good.

On the one (was it two?) night I uses the Swift, its straps cut into top of my ears (in addition to the buckle cutting into my head). Since the area between ear and head is narrow, this might not be a good idea - but the need was certainly there.

O.

Maryb

Post by Maryb » Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:55 pm

I recently received the PAC cover and pad for the back of the bottom Hybrid strap. What a difference that has made! It's so much more comfortable.
Anyone who has a Hybrid should get one of those.
thanks so much Karen!

Maryb

snork1

Post by snork1 » Tue Nov 14, 2006 2:25 pm

How about the DME's bill?....
No, I guess that is already sufficiently padded.

I have been around the forum long enough to know you have a LOT of happy customers by now. Good idea to branch out!

I have seen the forehead divot, as mentioned in a previous post, come up time and again over the years. That would be a tricky but definitely worthwhile spot to pad and distrbute that pressure out over a wider area for the masks that don't do that on their own.

Remember:
What you read above is only one data point based on one person's opinion.
I am not a doctor, nor do I even play one on TV.
Your mileage may vary.
Follow ANY advice or opinions at your own risk.
Not everything you read is true.

rustynail

Post by rustynail » Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:59 pm

rested gal wrote:Karen, your "Pad-A-Cheek" strap covers idea has helped a lot of people wear their masks more comfortably. You deserve a trophy!

WOW! There is absolutely no way that I can top a trophy from 'the' one and only RG !

Best I can do is see if I can scrounge up a big bottle of A&W and a bright bunch of flowers to put in it.....

Hugs, Tricia

SelfSeeker

Post by SelfSeeker » Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:20 pm

WOW, that is a beautiful trophy.

Congratulations Karen.

Of course a round of applause for the presenter, Rested Gal.

As everyone may know, I love the Nasal Aire II. The only thing that will improve it is a covering for the part that touches the skin by the upper lip. I am not sure how snug coverings for the tubings that touch the face would have to be, and how they would be put on since the tubing is so flexible. I am assuming any covering for the tube would have to be tight so it will not be to big behind the ears.

My disclaimer: I'm not a doctor, nor have I ever worked in the health care field Just my personal opinions.

Moogy

Post by Moogy » Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:52 pm

I would like a velcroed wrap-around thick pad that would cover my entire bipap, plus another padded pouch that would hold all the cords. This is for travel, since I don't like the bag that came with my bipap. I like to use a small suitcase with wheels instead.

Moogy

Moogy
started bipap therapy 3/8/2006
pre-treatment AHI 102.5;
Now on my third auto bipap machine, pressures 16-20.5