Got my new Activa mask today! :-)
- FairSpirit
- Posts: 127
- Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2005 4:35 pm
- Location: Western, NC
- Contact:
Got my new Activa mask today! :-)
UPS brought my new nasal Mirage Activa mask today and I am so excited about it. Any of you that use this mask, do you really like it?
DO you completely disassemble this mask everyday and wash it? Do any of you just wash it assembled?
I think this mask may work out well for me. Since I move around and toss at night, I guess this mask is supposed to help prevent leaks while I move. It feels very comfy when I fitted the mask to my face a little while ago.
Any advice, tips, or comments on this mask and/or how you are liking it will be VERY appreciated.
DO you completely disassemble this mask everyday and wash it? Do any of you just wash it assembled?
I think this mask may work out well for me. Since I move around and toss at night, I guess this mask is supposed to help prevent leaks while I move. It feels very comfy when I fitted the mask to my face a little while ago.
Any advice, tips, or comments on this mask and/or how you are liking it will be VERY appreciated.
~FairSpirit~
- wading thru the muck!
- Posts: 2799
- Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2004 11:42 am
FS,
A few tips...
- where it loosely, it will inflate to seal when you turn on the machine.
- do not disassemble to wash, that will help to prevent leaks.
- don't get too hung up on the "pulsating." This mask has been referred to as the "love sick octopus." you will quickly get used to it and will hardly notice.
- provide a hanger type support for the cpap hose somewhere midway between the mask and the machine. This will take some of the weight off the mask. I use a velcro strap fastened to a hook on the wall next to my headboard.
You made a great choice!
A few tips...
- where it loosely, it will inflate to seal when you turn on the machine.
- do not disassemble to wash, that will help to prevent leaks.
- don't get too hung up on the "pulsating." This mask has been referred to as the "love sick octopus." you will quickly get used to it and will hardly notice.
- provide a hanger type support for the cpap hose somewhere midway between the mask and the machine. This will take some of the weight off the mask. I use a velcro strap fastened to a hook on the wall next to my headboard.
You made a great choice!
Sincerely,
wading thru the muck of the sleep study/DME/Insurance money pit!
wading thru the muck of the sleep study/DME/Insurance money pit!
A shaving brush and Neutrogena work great to do the daily cleaning. I do fully disassemble it about once a month to clean the area under the teal plastic triangle thingy. If it's leaking after you reassemble it, it's likely you don't have the teal thingy properly seated and wedged under the flap in the membrane.
When you are setting up the straps, make sure to do it lying down and hooked up to your normal pressure. The angle adjustment between your eyes is more critical than the strap tension. Get that right and you're golden.
When you are setting up the straps, make sure to do it lying down and hooked up to your normal pressure. The angle adjustment between your eyes is more critical than the strap tension. Get that right and you're golden.
Mask
I just snap out the mask with the clips on the side and wash daily - my face gets oily and it builds up. I have been doing this since day one in Oct. and the unit is fine.
I also flip my hose over the bedpost and make sure the hose is pointing up from my mask. I do use a chin strap and make sure it goes over the 1st strap on the crown of my head.
I toss and turn and it just goes with me. I hardly break seal until the wee hours of the morning. Just a quick adjustment and I am back to sleep!
I agree with wading thru the muck! - keep it loose around the bottom of your nose and it will fall into place when the machine is turned on.
I cannot even tell I've got the mask on at night anymore!
My advice - patience and keep working with it until you get it adjusted for you! Also - wash your face every night with a gentle cleanser.
I also flip my hose over the bedpost and make sure the hose is pointing up from my mask. I do use a chin strap and make sure it goes over the 1st strap on the crown of my head.
I toss and turn and it just goes with me. I hardly break seal until the wee hours of the morning. Just a quick adjustment and I am back to sleep!
I agree with wading thru the muck! - keep it loose around the bottom of your nose and it will fall into place when the machine is turned on.
I cannot even tell I've got the mask on at night anymore!
My advice - patience and keep working with it until you get it adjusted for you! Also - wash your face every night with a gentle cleanser.
- FairSpirit
- Posts: 127
- Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2005 4:35 pm
- Location: Western, NC
- Contact:
Really liked the Activa!
Like it even better after modification.
Made mine more like the Ultra Mirage i.e. moved the swivel up to the Elbow Assembly, cut both pieces down to the flange, then stuck the flanges together with JB Weld (epoxy cement). This modified mask doesn't work very well when used with a hose having the big clunky cuffs, but works great with cuffless Quest tubing.
Wash daily without disassembly, disassemble and wash every couple of weeks.
Good Luck
Like it even better after modification.
Made mine more like the Ultra Mirage i.e. moved the swivel up to the Elbow Assembly, cut both pieces down to the flange, then stuck the flanges together with JB Weld (epoxy cement). This modified mask doesn't work very well when used with a hose having the big clunky cuffs, but works great with cuffless Quest tubing.
Wash daily without disassembly, disassemble and wash every couple of weeks.
Good Luck
[quote="wading thru the muck!"]FS,
A few tips...
- where it loosely, it will inflate to seal when you turn on the machine.
- do not disassemble to wash, that will help to prevent leaks.
- don't get too hung up on the "pulsating." This mask has been referred to as the "love sick octopus." you will quickly get used to it and will hardly notice.
- provide a hanger type support for the cpap hose somewhere midway between the mask and the machine. This will take some of the weight off the mask. I use a velcro strap fastened to a hook on the wall next to my headboard.
You made a great choice!
A few tips...
- where it loosely, it will inflate to seal when you turn on the machine.
- do not disassemble to wash, that will help to prevent leaks.
- don't get too hung up on the "pulsating." This mask has been referred to as the "love sick octopus." you will quickly get used to it and will hardly notice.
- provide a hanger type support for the cpap hose somewhere midway between the mask and the machine. This will take some of the weight off the mask. I use a velcro strap fastened to a hook on the wall next to my headboard.
You made a great choice!
Remember:
What you read above is only one data point based on one person's opinion.
I am not a doctor, nor do I even play one on TV.
Your mileage may vary.
Follow ANY advice or opinions at your own risk.
Not everything you read is true.
What you read above is only one data point based on one person's opinion.
I am not a doctor, nor do I even play one on TV.
Your mileage may vary.
Follow ANY advice or opinions at your own risk.
Not everything you read is true.
- FairSpirit
- Posts: 127
- Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2005 4:35 pm
- Location: Western, NC
- Contact:
I ended up taking a nap and used the Activa, it was SO fantastic having a seal that didn't leak! I loved it! I think I can easily get used to the 'sucking' that the mask does. I was able to move around very well and the mask did just what it was supposed to, kept a leak-proof seal. I have the straps very loose but will have to get used to the pressure that the mask applies when it presses itself to the face after turning the cpap on.
All in all I think I'll be greatly pleased with this interface. You all have been a wonderful help here as well. Thanks!
All in all I think I'll be greatly pleased with this interface. You all have been a wonderful help here as well. Thanks!
~FairSpirit~
- HappyHoser
- Posts: 169
- Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2005 8:40 pm
- Location: Missoula, Montana
- FairSpirit
- Posts: 127
- Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2005 4:35 pm
- Location: Western, NC
- Contact:
Thanks! That is my Chihuahua Hershey with me in the pic. I have 2 Chihuahuas, Hershey and Jax. My babies.HappyHoser wrote:I can't add a thing to the other posts except my own praise for the mask, it's big but it is by far the most trouble free mask i've owned so far - good choice! By the way, who's that with you in the picture?

~FairSpirit~
Nice Chi's! Very cool markings.
I have a long hair tri-color Chihuahua myself. They make a wonderful pet and friend. Although they are generally very smart and headstrong, which can make them a challenge to train too...but lots of fun.
I have a long hair tri-color Chihuahua myself. They make a wonderful pet and friend. Although they are generally very smart and headstrong, which can make them a challenge to train too...but lots of fun.
Remember:
What you read above is only one data point based on one person's opinion.
I am not a doctor, nor do I even play one on TV.
Your mileage may vary.
Follow ANY advice or opinions at your own risk.
Not everything you read is true.
What you read above is only one data point based on one person's opinion.
I am not a doctor, nor do I even play one on TV.
Your mileage may vary.
Follow ANY advice or opinions at your own risk.
Not everything you read is true.
- FairSpirit
- Posts: 127
- Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2005 4:35 pm
- Location: Western, NC
- Contact:
Ok, well, I've had a few nights with the Activa now and I've decided that it is indeed a very good mask. It is extremely good about keeping leaks from occuring which is wonderful. The one thing that bothers me about the mask is that even wearing it as loose as possible, it just seems that the pressure when the mask expands is so great. I suppose that just takes getting used to. Also, the inside corners of my eyes get squished in to where it is somewhat uncomfy. Still, over all, I am happy with it. Once I fall asleep, I sleep well with the Activa.
From the 3 masks I have now tried and own, the Activa, the FlexiFit 405, and the Profile Lite Gel Mask, as far a comfort goes, the Profile Lite Gel still wins, for sure. As far as preventing leaks, the Activa certainly is the winner.
_________________
CPAPopedia Keywords Contained In This Post (Click For Definition): activa
From the 3 masks I have now tried and own, the Activa, the FlexiFit 405, and the Profile Lite Gel Mask, as far a comfort goes, the Profile Lite Gel still wins, for sure. As far as preventing leaks, the Activa certainly is the winner.
_________________
CPAPopedia Keywords Contained In This Post (Click For Definition): activa
~FairSpirit~








