Tips for SWIFT users!!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
ufo13-Guested!!

Tips for SWIFT users!!

Post by ufo13-Guested!! » Sat Dec 03, 2005 3:08 pm

Hi Everyone!

After being on CPAP for 11 yrs. and having tried just about every interface that came down the pike, I got the SWIFT for the first time about a year ago. It was the mask for me and I have since purchased 5. As Earl (Rock & Roll) says no mask is perfect. The only problem I've had with it and no it's not the noise or too much air exhaust etc. but I like others on this Forum have the mask and wear it comfortably snug, not tight at all, and it seals great but if you move around as most of us do, the back strap rides up during the night and you lose the seal, etc. I did the following and it solves the above problem for me and maybe it will help others on the Forum who use the SWIFT. AND NO....NO PANTYHOSE INVOLVED! (LOL)

1. Go to the $1 store and buy a package of standard black velcro strips, they are usually about 1/2" wide x 12" long.

2. Use the flat loopside of the velcro not the fuzzy strip and cut two pieces
about 3" long.

3. Leave the paper backing on the sticky side for now and trim the paper even with the velcro.

4. Adjust the mask for a normal fit and place a 3" strip on either side of the back strap about an inch away from the back green buckle (so you can still adjust the fit of the mask) velcro loop side out (paper backing side in) and just staple it to the straps with a regular desk stapler. Staple from the inside out so the flat side of the staple is on the velcro that goes against your head. The velcro should be about the same width as the back strap and should fit flush and neat.

5. Place mask on and adjust the fit so its comfortable.

6. If after trying it and it works you can take the staples out, remove the backing paper and staple back on and after a few days the heat from your head will activate the adhesive and mold to the strap but I still keep a staple in each end to keep it secure. If it doesn't work for you , of course, just remove w/backing on and discard!

The other tip I have found helpful is once the SWIFT is adjusted for you and you're placing it on for the night what I do is lay the top strap on my head and insert the pillows in my nares and squeeze the center of the pillows (i.e. between the exhaust holes and back of pillows)..this seems to seat them better, then pull the back strap down and adjust.

I hope these tips help others and I explained it as best I could but it is really simple to do.

Best to All,

Steve
UFO 13

(couldn't get logged on)

Sleepless on LI

Post by Sleepless on LI » Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:19 pm

Steve,

You make me want to go back on the hose tonight just to give your idea a spin. Isn't it amazing how you use something for so long and then, wham, you get this stroke of creative genius, and something so simple? I used to put my hair over the back strap to keep it from riding up or made a bun without any pins and put the back strap over it to keep it tight and from moving. Usually worked for me. But unless you have enough hair to do that, that won't help you. I'm sure your idea will really help a lot of people.

Smart idea, by the way, writing "UFO13-Guested" so people knew who was writing that thread when they looked through the topic list when you couldn't sign in.

Hope you are well. And may I say, good lab ratting. There should be an anual award, the Super Lab Rat award, or the SLR (everything CPAP-related is an acronym, no?), given to the papper with the best idea on how to improve an interface using ingenuity and things around the house. Would be interesting if someone would put together all the ideas that have been presented on threads so we could choose (or even just to see all the creativity on this site). NO...I did the online yearbook. Someone else's turn, thank you. Just an idea.

L o R i

ufo13-No log!

Post by ufo13-No log! » Sun Dec 04, 2005 8:41 am

Hi Lori:

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my post. Many have looked but no one else posted but YOU! I guess we were the only ones with that strap problem - I thought it would be more prevalent with others, or maybe they want to try it first to see if it works etc. Regardless, I threw the idea out there and hopefully it may help someone! I have learned a lot myself from the people on this forum and I like YOU just try to give something back!
I hope you continue to do well OFF cpap and wish you only the best! You deserve it! Like I said before YOU are one classy lady!

Again thanks for the kind words,

Steve,
ufo13

Sleepless on LI

Post by Sleepless on LI » Sun Dec 04, 2005 8:53 am

Steve,

How could I read one of my favorite person's posts and not reply? You know what I think of you, too: Sweet as they come.

I disagree with you, however. I think a lot of people experience this problem with the strap riding up. I remember there being many posts about it over this year and different suggestions or comments about it being one of the problems with using the Swift. I think maybe because it was the weekend when you posted, those who will be interested in it may not have read it yet and you will get other replies in the future. You know, also, that many times people will read a topic that may not pertain to them but are just curious as to what is written just in case they may need to remember it in the future. I do that, and I doubt I'm unique. OR they read it and go, "Hmm, I gotta try that" and don't answer. But when you look at my number of posts, you know that's not my style with the mouth I have, or should I say fingers?

So is this fix still working for you? And have you ever tried the Aura yet? I just read where two new users, Jere and Apnea@22 (Adam), did and have slept through night 1 with it OOTB (my acronym for out of the box-hey, what can I say?). That may be a great one for you, too, to use as an alternative. If you read Jere's post from yesterday, would make you want to try one. viewtopic.php?t=5919&start=15. Jere's is third up from the bottom of this second page.

Well, if we don't speak soon, I hope you and yours enjoy a safe, happy and healthy holiday. Good talking with you.

L o R i

Re: Tips for SWIFT users!!

Post by Guest » Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:38 am

ufo13-Guested!! wrote:Hi Everyone!

AND NO....NO PANTYHOSE INVOLVED! (LOL)

4. Adjust the mask for a normal fit and place a 3" strip on either side of the back strap about an inch away from the back green buckle (so you can still adjust the fit of the mask) velcro loop side out (paper backing side in) and just staple it to the straps with a regular desk stapler. Staple from the inside out so the flat side of the staple is on the velcro that goes against your head. The velcro should be about the same width as the back strap and should fit flush and neat.

5. Place mask on and adjust the fit so its comfortable.

6. If after trying it and it works you can take the staples out, remove the backing paper and staple back on and after a few days the heat from your head will activate the adhesive and mold to the strap but I still keep a staple in each end to keep it secure. If it doesn't work for you , of course, just remove w/backing on and discard!
Just for the record, for us guys they are called "Manty Hose", but I am not quite getting what you are doing with the velcro straps??

Bonnie

Post by Bonnie » Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:13 am

Hey, Steve,
Thanks for the tip, I plan on trying it as soon as my cold (day12) is better and I feel like shopping. I have the problem of the back strap riding up and if I tighten too much I have sore teeth in the morning. So I am really wanting to try this. Thanks!!

Bonnie

"People who say they slept like a baby apparently never had one"

yardbird

Post by yardbird » Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:18 am

I'm not sure I understand this. Are we talking about taking the hook side of the velcro and putting it on the underside of the back strap? It sounds like the object is to velcro it to my head. Am I reading this right?

ufo13

Post by ufo13 » Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:19 pm

Hi Bonnie:

Nice to talk to you again! Hope you are feeling better. I guess Lori was right and there are some others with the strap problem. It works well for me and i think you might like the way it helps also.

Yardbird:

I see you got the new equipment with the SWIFT also and you like it. I am glad it is working out well for you! Yes if you do like i say in the first post you are using only the flat side of the velcro (hook side as you call it) and we do not use the "fuzzy side" at all. When you attach the hook pieces to the back inside of the rear strap they kind of act like a gripper at the back of your head and keeps the strap in place and prevents it from riding up-and for me it also keeps the interface more secure so you can keep it in place without making it so tight. Has worked real well for me the past 2 weeks I have tested it and now it is a fix I use all the time. I hope it helps you and others with the strap problem and if i can answer any other questions just ask and I will get back to you!

Hope this helps!

steve,
ufo13

GUEST-MARGARET

Post by GUEST-MARGARET » Sat Dec 10, 2005 8:21 am

GREAT TIP, THANKS! WORKS VERY WELL AND SIMPLE TOO!

MARGARET

Post by Guest » Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:07 am

The headgear on my swift moves too but I have solved my issue by using a string. I have tried both an shoelace and a piece of 1/4 inch elastic and think the elastic works a little better. Both of these were lying around the house so no $$$$ invested.

I loop the string over the lower arm of the swift near the pillow and back behind the lower part of the head to the other lower arm then tie it all in back like you tie your shoes. As you tie it you can pull the pillow tight under your nose. I loop one piece of the loop over my ears and the other under them under the lower part of the back of my head. I might lose a seal during the night but just have to pull the pillows away from my nose and let them ride back but I don't have to readjust the head gear even if it has moved all over the place.

My next endeavor might be to punch a hole into the headgear at the "swoosh" and have the string laced in so that all I would have to do would be to tighten and tie each night. But that sounds like too much work.

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:44 am

I don't use my Swift, but those are cool lab rat inventions and good clear directions, both of ya... ufo13 and "guest". Those sound like wonderful ways to stabilize it.

kg2v

Post by kg2v » Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:39 pm

Humm - sounds like a little bit of neoprene stuck in the same spot might work too (don't have a swift - yet - waiting for Big Brown Truck) - like a mousepad, with the rubber side towards your head - a little hot glue....

For that matter - a couple of dabs of hot glue - and ket it dry - OR how about some RTV put back there - let it cure for 24-48 hrs, and then try it....

- 73 de KG2V

Tim

Post by Tim » Tue Dec 27, 2005 7:55 pm

UFO: Been trying your fix in the back of the swift strap and it is a real good solution. Then I changed the vulkro to the waffle rubber sheets that are used for the round griper to open tight bottles. I cut the peices the same
as you and they work good and do not grap as much for me but still keep the strap from comming up. great tip though and thanks.

Tim

kf7tt

Post by kf7tt » Tue Dec 27, 2005 11:37 pm

Good ideas -- I will have to break out my Swift and try them.

Duane

CPAP for 3 years now
Straight CPAP with pressure of 12
Average use 7 hours per night
Heater wide open

Sleep Lab Tech
Respiratory Therapist

sarkel

Post by sarkel » Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:57 pm

That stinking swift is the reason my mask falls off every night while i'm sleeping. I only get about 4 hours on the mask each night. Actually, I really do like the mask, but i want it to stay on all night. I was trying to come up with a solution of my own but i'm going to try this one tonight. the only thing i could think of was looping pantyhose over the side straps and securing under my arms. Crazy!! Why cant they just make the mask better?