Quantcast

Bookmark and Share
General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
User avatar
yardbird
 
Posts: 821
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:29 am
Location: Sanborn, NY
Gender: None specified

how many watts does your cpap draw?

Postby yardbird on Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:21 am

Here's a device that you might want to take a look at. I'm sure there are others out there, but this one looks like it's fairly inexpensive. You could conceivably use this to determine the power requirements of your CPAP equipment in case you're trying to figure out what you'd need for battery backup.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/electronic/7657/


_________________
Machine: S9 AutoSet™ CPAP Machine
Mask: Swift™ FX Nasal Pillow CPAP Mask with Headgear
Humidifier: S9™ Series H5i™ Heated Humidifier with Climate Control
Additional Comments: original pressure 8cm - auto 8-12

User avatar
derek
 
Posts: 419
Joined: Sun Feb 06, 2005 2:06 pm
Location: Boston, MA
Gender: None specified

Postby derek on Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:30 am

I've done measurements on the REMStar Auto running on dc. It draws about 0.75 amps, which corresponds to 9 watts (12 x .75) without the humidifier. It probably draws a bit more on ac. This is about 1/6 of the power of a 60 watt light bulb!

I don't know how much the humidifier draws, but its probably 30 - 50 watts max.

The current ratings given by the manufacturers are the maximum values, and do not represent the average draw.

The point is that a cpap is not a significant energy user.


User avatar
yardbird
 
Posts: 821
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:29 am
Location: Sanborn, NY
Gender: None specified

Postby yardbird on Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:43 am

derek-

interesting... I'm seeing pure sine wave inverters going for about $60 on ebay in the 300-500watt range. That seems like it'd be plenty big enough to handle an autopap including the heater.

I'm not going to chase the battery backup thing just yet, personally. I mean if I see pieces and/or parts that I can get for a bargain I may squirrel some stuff away, but I have a 5000 watt standby generator and I'm more inclined to convert that to using natural gas, than I am to try and get set up to run my machine on battery.

_________________
Machine: S9 AutoSet™ CPAP Machine
Mask: Swift™ FX Nasal Pillow CPAP Mask with Headgear
Humidifier: S9™ Series H5i™ Heated Humidifier with Climate Control
Additional Comments: original pressure 8cm - auto 8-12

chrisp
 
Posts: 1143
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2004 3:51 pm
Location: somewhere in Texas
Gender: None specified

Postby chrisp on Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:23 pm

All you need to do is buy the M connecter 9$6)and a battery. Seems alot easier than running out to start that ole stinky generator @ 2 gallons an hour. And hope you dont get electrocuted or die from carbon monoxide . :shock:

:twis :twisted: ted:

User avatar
yardbird
 
Posts: 821
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:29 am
Location: Sanborn, NY
Gender: None specified

Postby yardbird on Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:41 pm

chrisp.... propane. The generator is getting converted... no bad fumes. :)
I was gonna do natural gas ..... I'm still considering that as another alternative. The natural gas stays on when the power is out and I'd never have to worry about whether the tank is getting low on propane. However propane burns ALMOST as hot as gasoline and natural gas is quite a bit cooler burning .... just not there yet. :)

I agree about the battery though. If I lost my humidifier, but kept my xPAP machine running I think that'd be fine in an emergency.


_________________
Machine: S9 AutoSet™ CPAP Machine
Mask: Swift™ FX Nasal Pillow CPAP Mask with Headgear
Humidifier: S9™ Series H5i™ Heated Humidifier with Climate Control
Additional Comments: original pressure 8cm - auto 8-12

User avatar
sthnreb
 
Posts: 611
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:28 am
Location: Metro Atlanta
Gender: None specified

Postby sthnreb on Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:30 am

I contacted Respironics about the Bipap pro 2 and they replied that it would pull about 80 watts of power.


_________________
Machine Mask 
Additional Comments: Resmed AirCurve 10 VAuto BiLevel with HumidAir
Bi-Pap for 17 years now. Rx 12/8 and using a Resmed AirCurve 10 SAuto Bipap Auto.

User avatar
CharlesJ
 
Posts: 55
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:38 pm
Location: Woodstock, GA
Gender: Male

Postby CharlesJ on Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:59 am

derek wrote:I've done measurements on the REMStar Auto running on dc. It draws about 0.75 amps, which corresponds to 9 watts (12 x .75) without the humidifier.


Derek >>> Kudos on your knowledge of Ohm's Law!

To be accurate, current is drawn. Power is measured in watts.

Chuck


_________________
Machine Mask 

Wizbang72
 

Re:

Postby Wizbang72 on Mon May 04, 2015 12:45 pm

CharlesJ wrote:
derek wrote:I've done measurements on the REMStar Auto running on dc. It draws about 0.75 amps, which corresponds to 9 watts (12 x .75) without the humidifier.


Derek >>> Kudos on your knowledge of Ohm's Law!

To be accurate, current is drawn. Power is measured in watts.

Chuck


To be accurate, he used Watt's Law, not Ohm's! ;-)

Wizbang72
 

Re: Re:

Postby Wizbang72 on Mon May 04, 2015 12:48 pm

Wizbang72 wrote:
CharlesJ wrote:
derek wrote:I've done measurements on the REMStar Auto running on dc. It draws about 0.75 amps, which corresponds to 9 watts (12 x .75) without the humidifier.


Derek >>> Kudos on your knowledge of Ohm's Law!

To be accurate, current is drawn. Power is measured in watts.

Chuck


To be accurate, he used Watt's Law, not Ohm's! ;-)


To be even more accurate, I just replied to a 10 year old post!! A timely response....

User avatar
chunkyfrog
 
Posts: 16432
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:10 pm
Location: Lincoln Nebraska (Go Huskers)
Gender: Female

Re: how many watts does your cpap draw?

Postby chunkyfrog on Mon May 04, 2015 1:22 pm

Today we might use a Kill-a-Watt device, sometimes found at affordable prices at Harbor Freight.

_________________
Machine: AirSense™ 10 AutoSet For Her CPAP Machine with HumidAir™ Heated Humidifier
Mask: AirFit™ P10 For Her Nasal Pillow CPAP Mask with Headgear
Additional Comments: Auto 9.2-13, EPR off; Autoset for her mode; Devillbiss Intellipap Auto backup.
Link to medicare suppliers, by zip code: http://www.medicare.gov/Supplier

User avatar
poppi2
 
Posts: 316
Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:54 pm
Location: Houston, near JSC
Gender: Male

Re: how many watts does your cpap draw?

Postby poppi2 on Mon May 04, 2015 2:01 pm

Wizbang72 wrote:. . . To be even more accurate, I just replied to a 10 year old post!! A timely response....

You did give me a good laugh. Thanks, Earl

_________________
Machine: PR System One REMstar Auto CPAP Machine with A-Flex
Mask: AirFit™ P10 Nasal Pillow CPAP Mask with Headgear
Humidifier: PR System One Heated Humidifier
Additional Comments: PAPCap™, 3M Microfoam Surgical Tape, SleepyHead SW, APAP 12.5 - 15.5 cm

Guest
 

Re: how many watts does your cpap draw?

Postby Guest on Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:10 pm

I have a PR System one (DS S50 HS) and am trying to figure out the best battery back up solution for power outages, and have a simple question: why is is to darned difficult to find out how much power the cpap and the humidifier draw? Nothing in the manufacturer's paperwork or web site (is this a secret? why?). The bottom of the cpap says 12 v - 5 A, which guess means is uses roughly 60 watts. But a previous post notes that a Remstar was using 9 watts (no humidifier). That's a big difference! ALSO, regarding the humidifier: to minimize power draw, does it need to be disconnected (run the tube right into the cpap)?, or can it just be set to zero? Thanks for any answers.

User avatar
CapnLoki
 
Posts: 333
Joined: Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:26 pm
Location: MA
Gender: Male

Re: how many watts does your cpap draw?

Postby CapnLoki on Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:16 pm

Guest wrote:I have a PR System one (DS S50 HS) and am trying to figure out the best battery back up solution for power outages, and have a simple question: why is is to darned difficult to find out how much power the cpap and the humidifier draw? Nothing in the manufacturer's paperwork or web site (is this a secret? why?). The bottom of the cpap says 12 v - 5 A, which guess means is uses roughly 60 watts. But a previous post notes that a Remstar was using 9 watts (no humidifier). That's a big difference! ALSO, regarding the humidifier: to minimize power draw, does it need to be disconnected (run the tube right into the cpap)?, or can it just be set to zero? Thanks for any answers.

This should answer your question, though these measurements are for the newer model 560. I think the 550 uses "classic" humidity, without the heated hose.
viewtopic.php?t=102179

This is my setup for a backup system:
viewtopic.php?t=102775

And if anyone wants to take detailed measurements:
http://www.amazon.com/Watts-Meter-Analy ... 001B6N2WK/

_________________
Machine: PR System One REMStar 60 Series Auto CPAP Machine
Mask: Quattro™ Air Full Face Mask with Headgear
Humidifier: PR System One Heated Humidifier
Additional Comments: Pressure 9-20, average ~9.5; often use battery power while off-grid
Hark, how hard he fetches breath . . .  Act II, Scene IV, King Henry IV Part I, William Shakespeare


Return to CPAP and Sleep Apnea (CLICK HERE TO READ POSTS)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: avi123, Bookbear, HoseCrusher, joeljjk11 and 16 guests