Need to buy another mask---top 4 recommendations?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Jan in Colo.

Need to buy another mask---top 4 recommendations?

Post by Jan in Colo. » Sat Aug 27, 2005 11:29 am

I'm new to CPAP, had my machine about a week and a half now. I was given the Respironics Comfort-Lite by the DME....and it seems to be okay. I've used mostly the attachment that covers the whole nose, last night I tried the nasal "pillows"??? Didn't use the humidifier though so that wasn't such a great idea. I'll try again WITH humidity, lol.

But I really think I should have two masks around. I have two dogs....it really would not be so farfetched as to imagine that they would LOVE to chew that mask to smithereens and that someday, I'll be negligent and leave it where they can get to it.

So that's the main reason.....the other is that I might find one I like better than the comfort-lite?

Can you narrow down my search? What would you recommend? I'm female by the way, so no facial hair thank goodness. Sleep on my back but sometimes on my sides.....Oh, and although I slept with my mouth open prior to CPAP, I'm having no trouble keeping it shut now for some reason. I'm adapting fairly well to the whole business.....

Thanks for suggestions.
Jan in Colo.

ozij

Post by ozij » Sat Aug 27, 2005 11:37 am

Links to Masks by Rested Gal.

O.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

Post by Guest » Sat Aug 27, 2005 11:39 am

Take a look at this thread:

LINKS to MASKS - nasal mask, nasal pillows, nasal prongs

for links to all the masks, opinions, etc.

rock and roll

Post by rock and roll » Sat Aug 27, 2005 12:12 pm

IMHO,

top four are, Swift, Activa, Breeze, Aura. In that order. Sales would bear this outm but this is very subjective of course.

Fatigue Fighter

Post by Fatigue Fighter » Sat Aug 27, 2005 12:39 pm

Hi Jan in Colo.
I am new to this too, but out of curiousity I decided to check out other masks just to see if I might be missing something better. For me, I still like what I started with, The Mirage Swift Nasal System. I tried the Breeze but that didn't work so well with my shifting sleep positions and the need for the mask to follow me (lol). Also, I like to sleep on both my back and sides. The Swift works for me real well. If I have to have something on my face/head....it's comfortable enough.
FF

snork1

Post by snork1 » Sat Aug 27, 2005 12:47 pm

Actually you have another justification for having two masks that work well for YOU. Pressure points at the same spot night after night is something the human body often doesn't like. "Mask rotation" is used by quite a few CPAP veterans to give relief from the inevitable problems of any one mask.

Answers for the top 4 will be as varied as all the permutations and combinations of all the masks out there.

AT THIS MOMENT, it seems like the most likely list might be...
Activa
Swift
Breeze
ComfortCurve

But I am only using the first two and don't particularly like the Breeze myself, although it has a huge following and I am only going by recent debatable heresay on the ComfortCurve.

It seems there are a few new offerings out right now that are working for some people, and sometimes with some modification.

You mileage is highly likely to vary......

Remember:
What you read above is only one data point based on one person's opinion.
I am not a doctor, nor do I even play one on TV.
Your mileage may vary.
Follow ANY advice or opinions at your own risk.
Not everything you read is true.

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Sat Aug 27, 2005 2:57 pm

I'd go for the Swift (nasal pillows) or the Activa (nasal mask, covers nose).

If you have at least an average, or preferably large, head for a woman, the Aura (nasal pillows) headgear would probably work for you. Don't be put off by pictures of the Aura's headgear - it's surprisingly lightweight despite the look of the "realtor's lockbox" on top. Everything about the Aura is very light. The Aura is fabulous for sleeping in any position, imho -- even face down into the pillow.

Since you mentioned sleeping on your back as well as your sides, I think I'd skip the Breeze. Great for side sleepers but can be problematic for sleeping on one's back.

As snork said, rotating to another mask occasionally can keep any mask, even a favorite, from wearing out its welcome on the same pressure points of the face.

P.S. I have dogs too, Jan - you're wise to already be planning for... "just in case"!
My disclaimer: I'm not a doctor, nor have I ever worked in the health care field. Those are just my personal opinions. A mask or machine I love/hate could be completely the opposite for others. Finding suitable equipment can be an expensive trial and error experience.

Grabraham

Post by Grabraham » Sat Aug 27, 2005 5:47 pm

I also started with the comfortlite and over the course of the first month I started liking it less and less Mainly my frustration was with the placement of the connector I am a back/side sleeper and the rear hookup kept knocking the gear askew. I was able to try a bunch of masks the other night for my tritation sleep study. I have not had much luck with the nasal pillows on the comfortlight so I was focusing on nasal masks and ended up really liking the Mirage full face mask I did not think having my nose and mouth covered would be something that I would like but I surpised myself. I also really liked the Activa so I picked one up and I am glad I did. I plan on rotating between the FF mask and the Activa.

your milage may vary

Flower51

Post by Flower51 » Sat Aug 27, 2005 8:19 pm

My favorite is the Nasal Aire II prong interface. Not intrusive. Light weight. The secret is getting the right fit in the prongs or its NOT a good exp.
Terry

254/192/goal 145

Sleepless on LI

Post by Sleepless on LI » Sat Aug 27, 2005 8:34 pm

I'm not talking.
L o R i

Grabraham

Post by Grabraham » Sat Aug 27, 2005 8:36 pm

Sleepless on LI wrote:I'm not talking.

snork1

Post by snork1 » Sat Aug 27, 2005 9:55 pm

Grabraham wrote:I also started with the comfortlite and over the course of the first month I started liking it less and less Mainly my frustration was with the placement of the connector I am a back/side sleeper and the rear hookup kept knocking the gear askew. .........

your milage may vary

The way to fix THAT problem with the comforlite is to get ride of that rigid mount on top. unsnap it and then just lash it in place with some elastic that you can weave through the bracket. That makes it a lot more forgiving.

Also chopping the top lobe off a tempurpedic pillow can help, so you can have a ledge to hang the hose over on TOP. Or get a Pap-pillow.

Remember:
Your mileage may vary.

Sleepless on LI

Post by Sleepless on LI » Sat Aug 27, 2005 9:58 pm

Jan,

I rethought not talking (I'm not good at not talking) and realized I might have come across as rude, and that wasn't the reason at all. There is a particular interface that I don't recommend, although others use it and love it a lot, and I promised not to dissuade anyone from perhaps trying it with any more negativity about it. I didn't mean for you to think I was being unhelpful or rude. Just trying to keep my nose clean on this one. Sorry if I came off otherwise (can't win for losing sometimes).

L o R i

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Sat Aug 27, 2005 11:39 pm

Psssst, Jan.... Lori hates the Breeze! And with good reason. She tried and tried, but it didn't work well for her at all. There! It's out in the open!

I love the Breeze. And with good reason - it worked fine for me.

Lori loves the Swift. I don't particularly like the Swift (for me!)

I recommend the Swift a lot, anyway, because it really does suit most people who try it.

That gets you up to speed, Jan.

Awww, Lori, it's ok to bad-mouth the Breeze.

All that could possibly happen is that ozij will POUNCE to distract you while I sneak in with Super Glue. Hope you love your Swift a LOT!!!!!!

Grab, what a perfect little moving picture following Lori's vow of silence.

snork1

Post by snork1 » Sat Aug 27, 2005 11:53 pm

rested gal wrote:Psssst, Jan.... Lori hates the Breeze! And with good reason. She tried and tried, but it didn't work well for her at all. There! It's out in the open!

I love the Breeze. And with good reason - it worked fine for me.

Lori loves the Swift. I don't particularly like the Swift (for me!)

I recommend the Swift a lot, anyway, because it really does suit most people who try it.

That gets you up to speed, Jan.

Awww, Lori, it's ok to bad-mouth the Breeze.

All that could possibly happen is that ozij will POUNCE to distract you while I sneak in with Super Glue. Hope you love your Swift a LOT!!!!!!

Grab, what a perfect little moving picture following Lori's vow of silence.
I don't even knock the Breeze, as opinionated as I am and as much of a disaster as it was for ME....just because it seems to work so well for so many people.

People are so different, I think it might be impossible to design one interface that worked for absolutely everyone....or as I always say...
Your mileage may vary.....

Remember:
Your mileage may vary.