CPAP and Sinus Surgery

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Tridens

CPAP and Sinus Surgery

Post by Tridens » Sat Jul 30, 2005 1:52 pm

I've been told I need to undergo a second round of sinus surgery (first time was eight years ago and it's been a major help).

Anyone else had this surgery while on CPAP? I'm assuming I won't be able to use the machine for a while after surgery. Anyone know how long? Gee, what a choice...do you want to have chronic sinus pain and infection or do you want to sleep without choking? Hmmm...

Thanks for any help.

Tridens

Tridens

aj

surgury

Post by aj » Sat Jul 30, 2005 3:24 pm

I had septoplasty and turbinate reduction in November. My doctor directed me to get a fullface mask for the surgury. They put my CPAP on me in recovery. He also had me use the CPAP day and night the first few days with the heated humidifier turned up as much as possible without rainout. I believe that my comfort and recovery were greatly enhanced this way. He did not pack my nose and after surgery told me that I could use my Activa if I wanted to since there was no packing. Check with your doctor.

Tridens

Post by Tridens » Sat Jul 30, 2005 6:14 pm

aj,

Wow! That's great to hear. I sure hope my doctor recommends the same. Thanks for taking the time to reply!

Tridens
Tridens

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Sat Jul 30, 2005 9:39 pm

Tridens, about halfway down the page at this link, there are some pretty interesting topics about sinus and turbinate surgery:

LINKS to surgery, turbinates, Pillar, TAP experiences

Good luck!

snork1

Post by snork1 » Sat Jul 30, 2005 10:59 pm

I was using CPAP the night of my major nasal surgery.
I alternate between the Swift and Activa normally, and I think I used the Activa the first couple of nights. I did clog up a few times, but I think I still managed to breath better with CPAP those first few nights than the previous year on CPAP before surgery.

I have been extremely happy I had the surgery.

It seems to be VERY important to do the post-op saline flushes as directed.

In fact I still keep up the saline flushes because the seem to greatly reduce my allergies.

In my opinion, if your nose doesn't work, CPAP is not really working.

Remember:
What you read above is only one data point based on one person's opinion.
I am not a doctor, nor do I even play one on TV.
Your mileage may vary.
Follow ANY advice or opinions at your own risk.
Not everything you read is true.

Snuffle-nose

Post by Snuffle-nose » Mon Aug 01, 2005 12:21 am

Hello

Along with my cpap treament I had tubinate surgery to open those clogged up airways I had for years. As nose deformaties runs more in famliy as my brother had to have a nose operation as well!!! His nose is better but apparently he has to go back and get one notril re done as it is still blocked up.

Lucky for him he is not a hosehead like me, he hasn't got osa like me. He seemed that he took all the good stuff, not fair all!!! Since my nose operation it's made cpap treament more effective as it can't work if your nose's all gummed up!!! But cpap treament is on going, I am going to have review very soon!!

CPAPopedia Keywords Contained In This Post (Click For Definition): CPAP

Been on CPAP for a while.....I had moderate apenoa

Tridens

Post by Tridens » Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:39 pm

Thanks everybody for the input. I've already had turbinate reduction, deviated septum repair, and drainage passages drilled into the bottom of my maxillary sinuses. It was a HUGE help to me...instant relief and my sinus infection rate dropped from chronic to 2-3x a year.

Now that number has more than doubled and I don't feel as well on a regular basis. Turns out a just need one passage cleared and the exit/entrance enlarged.

This is a fairly minor operation (compared to my first one), so I wasn't sure I wanted to bother if I was going to be without CPAP for a while afterwards.

I'll also be watching the developments on the Pillar procedure with great interest. Seems like a great way to say goodbye to CPAP!

Thanks again, all.

Tridens

Tridens