The mother of all stabilizers for Swift LT

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
feeling_better

The mother of all stabilizers for Swift LT

Post by feeling_better » Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:16 pm

Ever since I started using Swift LT about 3 months ago, this has become my best mask. I have posted my changes to solve problems I experinenced with this favorite mask of mine.
My fix for rainout (condensation) in Swift LT nasal pillow
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=34883&st=0&sk=t&sd=a
Stormy condtions ahead: My little DIY heater
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=36287&p=313613#p315704

One was specifically for reducing the back strap from slipping and stabilizing the pillow.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=35274&p=302473#p302473

Recently I experimented with a small change to the above strap [Please read that thread first], and the results were way over my expectation! Now the cushion does not slip at all from the nostrils; even when I turn from side to side pulling the hose with the mask, while the hose is routed under the covers. For the first time, I have starting turning in sleep without being aware of holding/guiding the cpap hose!

What I did was a change to the way the stabilizing strap in the above post, was attached at the front (face). In the previous one, the added elastic straps' sole role was to prevent the built in back strap of the head gear of Swift LT from slipping up.
The strap was closed in on the face side, as a chin strap, with the beige chin pad, and was not connected to the headgear at all in the front.

In the new method, the straps are attached on the front to the part of the headgear close to the nasal cushion holder.
A small piece of Velcro with sticky glue on one side is attached to the elbow area of the headgear plastic on each side. I found that the glue eventually comes off. So added two staples each (wire ends outside) to firmly hold the Velcro pieces in place on to the plastic.

Now the chin strap instead of closing on each other in front, its ends are attached to each of these new Velcros on the sides. Note that these elastic straps are not at all stretched under pressure normally, they just stay there. They prevent the nasal pillows from lifting away from your nose when you move your head or turn around in bed. Remember that the Swift LT with its double walled pillow not sealed on to the nostrils NOT BY THE HEADGEAR PRESSURE, but by the air expanding the outer wall against the inside of the nostril. It turns out, if you try to keep the pads tight against the nose, the resulting seal is less effective, and of course this could lead to pain.
Last edited by feeling_better on Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Resmed S9 Elite cpap mode, H5i Humidifier, Swift FX Bella L nasal pillows

freepostg

Re: The mother of all stabilizers for Swift LT

Post by freepostg » Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:36 pm

An absolutely fabulous effort Feeling_Better. You have come up with some wonderful and practical ideas...I repeat what I had said in an earlier post: Resmed should consider putting you on the payroll for what you have come up with.
thanks

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:21 pm

Thanks, feeling_better! I've added a link in the Swift LT category to this revision of your "fix"...

LINKS to LAB RAT AWARD Winners
viewtopic.php?p=127492
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

feeling_better

Post by feeling_better » Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:36 pm

freepotg, rested gal, Thank you!

Anasazi

Post by Anasazi » Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:22 pm

Hi feeling_better,

I am a neophyte to the Swift LT and CPAP.

A DME delivered my "M Series Auto CPAP Machine with C-Flex", [the "with A-Flex" version is on order and will be delivered and exchanged within a couple weeks] Oxygen Concentrator, and ResMed Swift LT Nasal Pillow System on 24Nov08.

That first night was excellent. The next night not so much. Thus far it has been an every other night good experience followed by misadventure. My experience to date is learning about the equipment, therapy, and adjusting to the devices. I had not realized how complex all this CPAP therapy is.

Adjusting to the "mask" is my biggest challenge. I am a prone/side sleeper who switches from side to side frequently. When I do this the pillows were disrupted or at least following the first night I believed that to be a problem so that I started to "adjust" the mask straps. I have had it too tight and rise in the morning after a disruptive night with a very misshaped, sore nose. I am exceedingly grateful for http://www.cpaptalk.com Another cpaptalk thread informed me that the "mushroom stems" on the pillows provide a cushion for when you change position.

Tonight I have loosened the straps and will try to believe that the "mushroom stem" shock absorbers will do their job despite all my rolling around on my face.

One of my "BAD" nights was due to my not realizing that the humidifier would not last two nights without recharging. Halfway through the night I awoke with very dry mouth and nose. It is a learning process.

So far I have not had any awakening mouth open events other than experiencing opening my mouth to lick my lips and learning about the air pressure.

I am not certain how my loosening the straps test for this evening will work. Your modifications and great illustrations may be tomorrow's project.

Thanks,

feeling_better

Post by feeling_better » Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:55 pm

Anasazi, Welcome to the forum. While adjusting the pillow is important, your first priority is learning to adjust to your new companion. For many people it takes weeks and even months before they adjust to it and adjust the system to them. Just look around and there are lots of info. The info for new users may be a good place to start.