My DIY for remote OFF / ON for M-series Auto

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
feeling_better

My DIY for remote OFF / ON for M-series Auto

Post by feeling_better » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:43 pm

I am starting a new thread for this. I had asked previously if anybody has done this before:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=35412&p=303952#p303952

Encouraged by the detail of taking apart the machine,
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=35424&p=304056#p304056
here is how I did the remote control.

I soldered wires to the switch contact points below the three push buttons and then brought the wires out. I had to do a little bit of sanding (scraping off) of a ridge on the cover at the point where the wires came out. Here is the whole board with the wires:

An enlarged photo is below. Even though I was interested only in the on/off function (the middle button), while I was there I brought out all three switch functions. For the engineers: it probably will work just as well with 4 wires, 3 wires (the black, gray, and blue) are common connected to the same trace at different points. I did it this way to improve the shielding between them and to reduce the chance of pushing one button triggering the other functions.

The middle pair of wires, gray/lavender, is the set for the middle button. At the end of this 10' or so long ribbon cable, I added a momentary close push switch. Right now I have only put in one switch, the one for the on/off function. The machine has now moved to the foot of my bed, and the switch is very near by pillow. I can turn off and on the machine without changing my sleeping position. This allows me to take the mask off when needed without making air flow noise and waking up my partner. Happy camper.
Resmed S9 Elite cpap mode, H5i Humidifier, Swift FX Bella L nasal pillows

Snoredog

Re: My DIY for remote OFF / ON for M-series Auto

Post by Snoredog » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:50 pm

Have you thought about unsoldering those bright BLUE surface mount LED's, pick up power for them from another ribbon cable, run it up to a pair of those glasses with a mustache and a big nose, take some hot glue and glue them LED's to the inside rim of the glasses, that way you would have all the indicator lights from your magical "M" series machine to go with your remote control, it would be like capturing the full ambience of the machine

these are better
Last edited by Snoredog on Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
someday science will catch up to what I'm saying...

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:35 pm

Snoredog wrote:Have you thought about unsoldering those bright BLUE surface mount LED's, pick up power for them from another ribbon cable, run it up to a pair of those glasses with a mustache and a big nose, take some hot glue and glue them LED's to the inside rim of the glasses, that way you would have all the indicator lights from your magical "M" series machine to go with your remote control, it would be like capturing the full ambience of the machine

And maybe add a piece of wet sponge, to the bottom of the remote keypad, to simulate the HH. (I just couldn't resist!) Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

kteague

Post by kteague » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:16 pm

A cpap remote - now that's taking lab ratting to the max! Must have missed that in the other thread. I'm guessing you're using a 10 foot hose to be able to put it at the foot of the bed. I'm not a gadget person, don't have to worry about bothering anyone else with mask air, and have a quiet machine, yet here I sit thinking if a remote becomes an option, that's a toy I'd like to have. It could be useful even for those of us who have our machine near the floor or under the bed and have to grope around to turn it off. You may be onto something.
Kathy

feeling_better

Post by feeling_better » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:59 pm

kteague wrote:I'm guessing you're using a 10 foot hose to be able to put it at the foot of the bed. ... yet here I sit thinking if a remote becomes an option, that's a toy I'd like to have. It could be useful even for those of us who have our machine near the floor or under the bed and have to grope around to turn it off. You may be onto something.
Kathy
Hi kteague, Yes, it so happened I have a 10' hose. But even when the machine was just next to my head about a foot below the bed level, I did not like the idea of having to turn around to the other side and groping for the button at night. I also have occasional shoulder pain, so that was never very convenient... Noise never was a problem for me, the M-series at my low pressure level is practically silent.

The machine now is moved to the foot of my bed because I decided to run the hose inside the blanket, straight down in the middle of the bed, which is less bothersome than the hose sort of hanging around. I am using Swift LT, and this also enabled me to change the routing of the hose from over the head to straight down. So I had so many reasons I wanted a remote OFF BTW, remote ON is practically of not much need, since putting the mask on starts it anyway.

preemiern

Post by preemiern » Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:04 am

Why not just get "The Clapper"...clap on, clap off
http://www.rkdm.com/theclapper/index.htm
Just joking...but couldn't resist!!

Paul56

Post by Paul56 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:02 am

I am holding out for the wireless remote.

echo

Post by echo » Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:22 am

AWESOME!!! Lab rat award, lab rat award!!!!
PR System One APAP, 10cm
Activa nasal mask + mouth taping w/ 3M micropore tape + Pap-cap + PADACHEEK + Pur-sleep
Hosehead since 31 July 2007, yippie!

rstcso

Post by rstcso » Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:54 am

The next step should be finding an older television chassis that has a problem in a deflection circuit and use the power relay to initiate the power for your xPAP. You can use other functions to control other functions. Then you'll have full infrared remote functionality.

GumbyCT

Post by GumbyCT » Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:16 am

My M series has both auto On and auto OFF. I am aware there are problems with the auto OFF if you have Large leaks while you sleep but if you have your leaks under control (and you should if your therapy is working) the feature does work and is there for those who need or want it.

While the workmanship is good, I am not sure why someone would willingly void their warranty for features that are already included.

I have no doubt, how I sleep affects every waking moment.
I am making progress-NOW I remember that I can't remember
;)
If this isn’t rocket science why are there so many spaceshots?
Be your own healthcare advocate!

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:03 am

Voiding the warranty would be my concern, too. However, I can see how this modification could be handy for some people.

Here's another Lab Rat award for you, feeling_better !

LINKS to Lab Rat Trophy awards
viewtopic.php?t=15104

feeling_better

Post by feeling_better » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:02 am

preemiern wrote:Why not just get "The Clapper"...clap on, clap off
http://www.rkdm.com/theclapper/index.htm
Just joking...but couldn't resist!!
The problem with something like the clapper was discussed in the other thread I have at the beginning. Basically, if you turn the ac power off to the M-series, it loses all the data that is expected to be stored in the card for the night. Show stopper. Even if it worked, I was trying not to wake up my spouse. Perhaps some spouses can be conditioned to go to sleep on clapping

feeling_better

Post by feeling_better » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:18 am

rested gal wrote:Voiding the warranty would be my concern, too. However, I can see how this modification could be handy for some people.

Here's another Lab Rat award for you, feeling_better !

LINKS to Lab Rat Trophy awards
viewtopic.php?t=15104
Well, rested gal, the way I have done it, if the machine fails when still under warranty, I can revert with about 10 min of work. Unless one of you tell the company [ ] they will be hard pressed to determine anybody ever touched my machine. My real concern had been if I could take it apart without visible damage, that fear was gone after the other forum member showed the take down and photos.

Looking back the decades where I have bought and used oodles of gadgets, I never ever took anything back for repair under warranty. If some body offers me 10% off the price for no warranty at the time of purchase, I will go for it. Most of these things are quite reliable now a days, not withstanding the endless complaints we tend to make.

Thank you for the award! My next project will be building a virtual show case for showing off all these awards you are giving me

feeling_better

Post by feeling_better » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:32 am

Paul56 wrote:I am holding out for the wireless remote.
Paul56, I do not know why you . Perhaps you are right, our medical companies may never do this. But a remote for this is not that difficult to add (will only add a couple of dollars to the cost, which means a $50-$100 option for a medical instrument) . Of all the remotes I have seen, this would be a very useful one indeed. The implementations of remote control have become so standardized and so widely used, they can now profitably sell for $7 add-on remotes for tv!! The same chips can be used here, that is the world of semiconductor technology --- I grew up in that. I predict one 'maverick' [have been hearing that a lot lately ] manufacturer will add this option in the near future, and then every sheep will follow the herd, perhaps reluctantly

feeling_better

Post by feeling_better » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:41 am

GumbyCT wrote:My M series has both auto On and auto OFF. I am aware there are problems with the auto OFF if you have Large leaks while you sleep but if you have your leaks under control (and you should if your therapy is working) the feature does work and is there for those who need or want it.
GumbyCT, the auto on or auto off are not in any way affected by this. They continue to work.

For me the auto off to turn off is not satisfactory. If I have that enabled, and if I take the mask off to turn off the machine, the roaring sound it produces for about a minute+ will wake my next door neighbors, and I am not even in an apartment . You are blessed to have a spouse who would sleep through that