How I prevent the back strap from slip for my mask

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
feeling_better

How I prevent the back strap from slip for my mask

Post by feeling_better » Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:13 pm

This post shows a method for preventing the back straps of mask head gears from slipping upwards. The description is with respect to a specific mask model, the Swift LT, but the method will work for many of the other model head gears since many share a back strap with the problem.

The problem of back strap slip is not universal, some people do not experience this problem at all, yet for some they cannot keep the head gear in place for any length of time. One of the main reasons for this big difference, is a physical feature, it is not just a subjective feeling. Compare the normal variation in the head shapes of the two profiles below.

The second one does not have the slight back bulge which the first one does have. Most normal head gear's back strap simply will not stay in place if your head shape is closer to the second one. When somebody here posts a problem with the strap slipping another person (with the first profile) would vehemently instruct to keep that back strap below the mid point --- but it is not going to help for the second profile at all . When you are in a group if you look around you would find that this second variation in head shape is not all that uncommon, about one in 5 has this shape.

This fix here is similar to the one I have described earlier for the Aeiiomed Headrest mask at:
viewtopic.php?t=33486&highlight=
However, the head gear of the Headrest is a rather uncommon form. The head gear of here for Swift LT, is similar to many other model masks'. I describe the construction here very briefly, those who need a bit more of detail, please see my above post.

I use about 20" length of 3/4" wide elastic attached to the back strap, and secured in place as a chin strap with a small chin strap pad. Since Swift LT is a very light mask, you can keep that in place with very little tightening of this elastic, it can be really light.

The elastic (black) is looped through the inside back strap loops near the back buckle. The ends are attached with velcro strips, to the chin pad. The two ends both have the sticky type of the velcro (white), whereas the beige chin pad has the non sticky type of the velcro (black strip) sewn on to it. I used white and black velcro just for clarity in the photo, normally when you buy both will be of the same color.

The above particular way of using the velcro (the sticky portions are very small, but still a lot of length for adjustability using the longer non sticky velcro on the pad) reduces the unwanted tangling up of the velcro. Also this makes it easiier to just remove the chin/mouth pad for washing.

The above shows a close up of how the elastic is threaded. It is extremely easy to do. You may want to attach the elastic to the head gear strap at the loop, with a staple or a small stitch, so that it won't slip out.

Once you put on the head gear as usual, after checking/positioning it for comfort and no leaks, the new elastic strap ends are brought around the neck, below the ears, and then attached to each other in front of the chin. I use this to lightly go over the light masking tape over my mouth to prevent mouth leaks. Again my elastics are very thin, and only lightly attached, that if I simply pull up on the back strap I can still remove the whole head gear and mask without first having to undo the elastic in the front (such as when one may want to sneeze or cough in a hurry). Normally, I undo the elastic strap in the front and the remove the head gear as usual in the morning.

If you have any questions about how it is done, feel free to ask questions. Hope this helps some of you with head gear slipping problems.
Resmed S9 Elite cpap mode, H5i Humidifier, Swift FX Bella L nasal pillows

DoriC

Re: How I prevent the back strap from slip for my mask

Post by DoriC » Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:15 pm

Does anyone have a fix for the ComfortGelFF. The headgear is to big and bunches up at the neck which then gradually slides up during the night creating leaks.

"Do or Do Not-There Is No Try"-"Yoda"
"We are what we repeatedly do,so excellence
is not an act but a habit"-"Aristotle"
DEAR HUBBY BEGAN CPAP 9/2/08

ca_hosehead

Post by ca_hosehead » Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:55 am

Nice post, good pictures. I suffer from BFHS as well (back-flat-headed-ness).

I use Slumbergear Headgear, it doesn't ride up in the back. It's very stable overall. It works on a similar principle.

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:37 pm

Good pictures and good idea. You've earned another of these to add to your collection!

feeling_better

Post by feeling_better » Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:42 pm

rested gal, Thank you!
Resmed S9 Elite cpap mode, H5i Humidifier, Swift FX Bella L nasal pillows

aneffie53

Post by aneffie53 » Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:06 am

I'm new on the forum. I would like to see the pictures that "feeling better" has posted related to strap slipping, but they aren't showing. Can anyone help?

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:10 am

aneffie53 wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:06 am
I'm new on the forum. I would like to see the pictures that "feeling better" has posted related to strap slipping, but they aren't showing. Can anyone help?

Nope...those image links are broken...note the date of that post ...2008....way old post.
There is no way to retrieve those images.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

surf_rower

Post by surf_rower » Tue Jan 30, 2024 8:32 pm

Even though the post is old, let me jump in and offer one way to keep straps from riding up. Pull some of your hair out from under the strap, and let it go over the strap. Then it can't ride up because the hair roots are in the way.

You do have to have hair.
ResMed AirSense 11 AutoSet
Mask: ResMed N30i with cushion

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:09 pm

If there is a dearth of hair, a beanie helps.
(Been there.)

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:39 am

aneffie53 wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:06 am
Adding to what Pugsy posted, you should probably start a new topic and include what type of mask you're using. Masks have different designs and solutions may be mask specific.

For example; I use the P30i and had trouble with the back strap slipping up. A great solution is to take of the native P30i strap and replace it with the Respironics Strap with Arms for their DreamWear mask.

surf_rower

Post by surf_rower » Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:22 am

Dog Slobber wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:39 am

For example; I use the P30i and had trouble with the back strap slipping up. A great solution is to take of the native P30i strap and replace it with the Respironics Strap with Arms for their DreamWear mask.
Would that arms headgear fit on the AirFit N30i? Slipping straps are giving me headaches.
ResMed AirSense 11 AutoSet
Mask: ResMed N30i with cushion

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:39 am

surf_rower wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:22 am
Dog Slobber wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:39 am

Would that arms headgear fit on the AirFit N30i? Slipping straps are giving me headaches.
Yes. The n30i and the p30i mask frames are identical.

Here's a post I made about it.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=184409&p=1412428#p1412428

stevenal

Post by stevenal » Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:32 am

I experimented with a DreamWear some time back. It never seemed to fit right even after changing pillow and frame sizes, so I went back to my Swift. I cleaned the Swift yesterday and thought of this thread. I put it back together with the DreamWear arms and strap. It snapped right in like it was made to go together. Very comfortable and no slippage. I could even reduce the tension without leakage. Thanks for the suggestion.
AirSence 10 Autoset, Dreamstation 2 backup, Swift FX, Z1 for travel.