Mouth-taping success!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
rubberchimp

Mouth-taping success!

Post by rubberchimp » Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:11 pm

After being on cpap a few weeks with an average of 4 apneas a night, I caved and tried taping and it worked like a charm! For 2 consecutive nights that I taped, I had -zero- apneas! Maybe 2 nights is a little early to be celebrating, but it certainly feels like a win.

For the taping, I just used generic unlabelled papery tape sold at the pharmacy... just a few overlapping horizontal strips covering my entire mouth with the ends folded over to allow easy removal. I also used some chap-stick as suggested by others to prevent the adhesive from sticking to my lips. Was comfortable during the night and came off easily in the morning (I have somewhat oily skin, so that might make a difference).

As a bonus, my lips felt better than ever - no dryness or cracking for a change!

The second night, I tried taping an X over my mouth and then patching over it with horizontal strips, but that didn't seem to offer any improvement and was more fiddly to do. I'll stick with the simpler way.

Very surprised and pleased that such an odd and seemingly extreme measure was not only painless... it actually had hidden benefits ;P

(I have previously tried a chin strap. It was uncomfortable, distracting and didn't seem to have an impact on my apneas.. I guess my mouth was opening without much/any jaw movement.)

Cheers to everyone who has ever posted their taping techniques

bdp522

Post by bdp522 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:49 am

Congrats on your taping success! I've been taping for 2 years with great results. If at any point the skin becomes irritated from the tape...a coat of milk of magnesia on the irritated skin will allow you to still tape and seems to help the skin heal faster.

Brenda

Gerald

Post by Gerald » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:55 am

RC......

You might want to experiment with 2" wide Blue 3M Delicate Release masking tape....available at Lowe's paint department. I'm having great results with it. It's economical too.

As best as I can tell, the adhesive used on the blue tape...is the same as that used on the drugstore medical tape.

Gerald

cpapper

Post by cpapper » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:51 am

I also just started taping, only two nights now, I followed Rooster's method using 2 inch gentle surgical tape purchased at Walgreens, and chap stick. I've been having huge large leaks. Last two nights with tape showed 0% of night with large leaks. Info still showing average leak of 52.64 leak from previously tapeless nights. AIH showing at 4.6.
The mask DME thought I needed last time (3 months ago), leaks much more than my previous mask even though it's more comfortable. I may be petite but it's pretty small. I have to wait 3 more months for insurance to pay for new mask. So, in the mean time, I'll tape and follow my results on the computer. I have an appointment with sleep doc on Friday. Last time, she thought I needed a full face mask, DME disagreed with her. Maybe I do?
This is certainly not an easy path to the correct therapy. Also just recently got Encore Pro which is helping to see the real picture.

Post by Guest » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:33 pm

Not sure if I can offer you any advice on the leaks, cpapper... I was worried about whether the tape on the upper lip would stop my Mirage Activa mask from sealing, but there wasn't a problem. When I turned on the CPAP the first night I taped, I was getting massive leaks and initially thought it was the tape, but upon inspection I found that one of the clips hadn't engaged properly after it's last cleaning.. oops! After stripping down the mask and reassembling it more carefully, it was fine. I guess the basics are always worth checking...

I'm still using the Activa nasal mask 'cause I couldn't find a full face mask that gave a satisfactory seal - I have a dimple in my chin that makes most masks leak. The mouth taping is much more effective (I wonder if there's any complications for sleep-talkers tho?)