Fix for Slipping Headgear

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
pjwalman

Fix for Slipping Headgear

Post by pjwalman » Sun May 25, 2008 12:22 pm

I had some success with this last night so wanted to share it.

I started out exploring because, with this particular mask and headgear, where I needed to put the headgear to secure the mask properly, there was nothing to stick the velcro to, so I'd end up with the velcro grabbing things I didn't want it to grab and had this big jumbled mess of stuck-together straps to fight with in the dark.

So I thought of filling in with some fabric for the velcro to stick to and found that a nubby washcloth seemed to be the best for grabbing it. I just crudely sewed it to the headgear. (Washcloths don't play nice with sewing machines, so it doesn't look very pretty on the bottom side, but I didn't want to mess with stabilizers or things that might have looked pretty.)

So now I have a place to put my velcro in between the straps, which is cool. BUT...the biggest benefit was that, for the first gosh-darned time since I started all this, the mask stayed where it was supposed to for the entire night. Usually, around 2 to 3 o'clock, I can count on the seal breaking and having to start fighting to get it back in place. And always, when I roll on my back, the masks will start honking at me as my face relaxes at the chin. Last night, despite being oily, sweaty, drooly under that mask, it stayed quiet!! So unless it was one night's fluke, I think maybe the washcloth grabs your hair just enough to keep the mask from sliding around so much. It's not that there weren't slippery things on my face for a change -- if I'd grabbed it and slid it, it would have happily gone for a ride. But this mask usually rides up my nose at night. None of that. Always honks at me at some point in the night. None of that either.

So just in case anyone else wants to try it (and you wouldn't even need a sewing machine; you could hand-baste it, I think), here's a picture. Nothing fancy, but for me it made a huge difference.

Peggy

bdp522

Post by bdp522 » Sun May 25, 2008 1:49 pm

Easy to do and very inexpensive. I think this deserves a Lab Rat award...What do you think RG?!?

Brenda

Babette

Post by Babette » Sun May 25, 2008 5:27 pm

I second that nomination for a lab rat award!

Great thinking!!!! Thanks for sharing it!
B.

I currently have a stash of Nasal Aire II cannulas in Small or Extra Small. Please PM me if you would like them. I'm interested in bartering for something strange and wonderful that I don't currently own. Or a Large size NAII cannula. :)

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Sun May 25, 2008 6:21 pm

I agree! That was my biggest problem w/the ComfortLite 2. The doggone headgear sliding around on my head, breaking off and thinning my hair. I had seriously considered asking where to find a "doo-rag" and buying one for the CL2.

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

kteague

Fix for slipping headgear

Post by kteague » Sun May 25, 2008 10:41 pm

Peggy, your idea probably will help someone else. One of the biggest causes of leaks is slipping headgear, and whatever it takes to comfortably make it secure is a winner. Thanks for sharing.
Kathy

chipbutty

Post by chipbutty » Mon May 26, 2008 2:07 am

Interesting Peggy. I may look at doing that with my Zzz. I've not used the Zzz for a couple of weeks as I've been getting on with my new Hybrid. I still can't sleep for more than a three hour stretch and then struggle to stay asleep but at least I'm not fighting the mask as much.

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Mon May 26, 2008 9:35 am

You all are right! Peggy sure deserves a Lab Rat award for this simple, effective fix!

Peggy, you already earned a Lab Rat trophy for your homemade cpap pillows, and here's another Lab Rat award to add to your trophy shelf:

Peggy's two award-winning fixes are in the miscellaneous section near the bottom of the list on this page:

LINKS to Lab Rat Trophy awards
viewtopic.php?t=15104
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

pjwalman

Post by pjwalman » Mon May 26, 2008 11:44 am

I wish I could say I am accepting this award in an elegant evening gown, but alas I am in my oh-so-not-elegant jammies.

Thank you for the award, the nomination, and the support, all!!

Peggy