sleeping with mouth open... quick fix?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
mamamia

sleeping with mouth open... quick fix?

Post by mamamia » Sat May 17, 2008 4:52 pm

I've read I think about using duct tape as a quick fix for sleeping with an open mouth. Is that true? What about when you wake up? owwww!!! lol

ww

Post by ww » Sat May 17, 2008 5:08 pm

I was unwilling to tape my mouth so bought a full face mask and that worked fine. Do a search on taping or simply look through topics for the past 30 days and you will find much written on the subject. Also look at the yellow lightbulb of knowledge and you will find much on this subject.

bdp522

Post by bdp522 » Sat May 17, 2008 5:37 pm

I tape my mouth shut every night. Almost 2 yrs now and no problems. I use Roosters method but use tenderskin paper tape from Kendall.

viewtopic.php?t=9653

Poligrip strips also work for some.

Brenda

CentralScrutinizer

Re: sleeping with mouth open... quick fix?

Post by CentralScrutinizer » Sat May 17, 2008 5:59 pm

You might be a redneck if you use duct tape to tape your mouth shut when using CPAP... Either that, or your name is Red Green.

Paper surgical tape however... is what most people would use, and it works quite well actually.

mamamia wrote:I've read I think about using duct tape as a quick fix for sleeping with an open mouth. Is that true? What about when you wake up? owwww!!! lol

freepostg

Post by freepostg » Sat May 17, 2008 6:10 pm

ditto,
you can use duct tape but I'd rather not...it's a lot harder to rip off if you're having one of those really funny dreams that cause you to wake up laughing out loud!

mamamia

Thanks!

Post by mamamia » Sat May 17, 2008 6:31 pm

I think I'll look into a full face mask. Im using Mirage Swift nasal pillows now but am due for a new mask. I have been extra tired lately and have even recently woken myself up talking to myself! LOL!

I think I'll run to Walgreens and get some surg tape until I get my new mask. Thanks all!

birdshell

Post by birdshell » Sat May 17, 2008 7:26 pm

I taped my mouth for over a year successfully with rooster's method.

I did, however, change a few things:

1. Smeared milk of magnesia on the skin around my lips to let it dry. This allows the sensitive skin to tolerate the tape better, without losing much adhesion.

2. Taped vertically with two or three strips, usually with the rayon-type woven hypoallergenic tape or clear tape. Using several strips overlapped horizontally (as does Rested Gal Laura) left me with an open mouth every time.

3. Ignored as much as possible the opinions of most of the sleep professionals, who think mouth taping is a travesty and extremely dangerous. There seems to be NO evidence that mouth taping is a problem for anyone who is not unconscious or seriously drugged (alcohol as a drug). Image I have asked here on the forum and of many sleep and medical professionals.

Still, just for the sake of caution, it is wise to turn over a corner of the tape to make the removal of the tape quick and easy--should you need to remove it. It never hurts to make things a bit easier in the morning, either.

Of course, should you decide to USE duct tape, probably none of the above will matter to you! Best wishes--and we all must find our own solutions, if we wish to stay compliant. This forum is chock full of inventive

You know, a friend who has used cpap successfully for longer than I once summed it all up: "Anyone who doesn't use cpap (and needs it) dies a little bit each night." Hmmm, think I'll tape my mouth if I need to do so!

Karen

Be kinder than necessary; everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Click => Free Mammograms

zorrro13

Post by zorrro13 » Sat May 17, 2008 9:28 pm

I'm a heavy mouth breather so I need strong medical cloth tape, problem being it takes a long time to remove and annoying if you want a drink in the night.

birdshell

Post by birdshell » Sat May 17, 2008 9:47 pm

Zorro,

Why not give the milk of magnesia smear a try? Skim milk is also supposed to work in the same manner, though I've never tried it. The milk of magnesia really helps with the irritation caused by nightly taping as well as the easily removal of the tape, should you need to do so.

I also used to have a straw available for the water; it slipped in between the vertical strips quite nicely. Image

Best to you,

Karen

Be kinder than necessary; everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Click => Free Mammograms

zorrro13

Post by zorrro13 » Sat May 17, 2008 9:52 pm

birdshell wrote:Zorro,

Why not give the milk of magnesia smear a try? Skim milk is also supposed to work in the same manner, though I've never tried it. The milk of magnesia really helps with the irritation caused by nightly taping as well as the easily removal of the tape, should you need to do so.

I also used to have a straw available for the water; it slipped in between the vertical strips quite nicely. Image

Best to you,

Karen

Thanks Karen will certainly give it a shot.

Treesap

Post by Treesap » Sun May 18, 2008 12:33 am

I'm sure duct tape would work, but you might not have any lips left once you pull it off. Duct tape sounds painful!
Work like you don't need the money;
Love like you've never been hurt;
Dance like nobody's watching.

GumbyCT

Post by GumbyCT » Sun May 18, 2008 1:38 am

Try this - seemed to work for some -
viewtopic/t19645/CPAP-Pro-reviews.html

I have no doubt, how I sleep affects every waking moment.
I am making progress-NOW I remember that I can't remember
;)
If this isn’t rocket science why are there so many spaceshots?
Be your own healthcare advocate!

bdp522

Post by bdp522 » Sun May 18, 2008 5:47 am

I have used the milk of magnesia. It works great! I had one small spot that became irritated by the tape, I used the MOM for 2 nights and it allowed the sore spot to heal completely. The small bottle will last a lifetime(or close to it!).

Brenda

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Mon May 19, 2008 6:50 am

ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

valvestem

Mouth Breathing

Post by valvestem » Mon May 19, 2008 8:52 am

I am surprised no one mentioned a chin strap. I use the nasal pillows, with a chin strap. With a strap I can still open my mouth against the elastisity of the strap if I want to.