Activa mask leakage

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
brandy

Activa mask leakage

Post by brandy » Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:55 pm

I've been on CPAP for a few days now, and overall I'm happy with my Mirage Activa. I do have problems with some leakage on the mask, however. Can anyone give me pointers on maintaining a better seal?

I clean the mask everday in warm, soapy water (I use blue dawn dish soap) and rinse thouroughly. I also wash my face right before bed with a clean-rinsing cleanser and do not apply any moisturizer.

The primary leaks are at the lower corners of the mask, along my upper lip. My mask is a size shallow. I have tried adjusting the forehead support and have tried tightening and loosening the lower straps. I have also tried fitting the mask while the machine is running, and also while it is off. The leaks are not particularly bothersome, but I've heard many people have been able to obtain virtually no leakage with the Activa mask. Am I doing something wrong?

I also seem to have worse leakage after 4 or more hours of sleep (at that point I sometimes have leakage around the eyes as well). My face is not particularly oily, so I don't think that's the problem. Could it be a build up of water vapor from the humidifier (I keep it set at 4). Last night I took off my mask and wiped the mask and my face with a tissue, that helped somewhat.

If anyone has any pointers, please let me know!

CPAPopedia Keywords Contained In This Post (Click For Definition): humidifier, mirage, activa, CPAP, seal, clean

chrisp

Post by chrisp » Mon Jun 06, 2005 8:06 pm

Have you viewed the CD that comes with the mask. That would be a good place to start . Ask your DME for it. Most people pull the straps too tight. You seem to have thought of that. Good Luck.

There

Post by There » Mon Jun 06, 2005 8:07 pm

I'm interested to hear what they have to say, because my backup mask is a traditional mask (ComfortSelect, have also used the ComfortGel and ComfortLite) and I have the same problem, though usually from the onset. The eye leaks drive me nuts!

Tina
RemStar M Series Auto w/C-Flex, many masks (ComfortCurve, Comfort Lite, MirageSwift, lots of personal mods)

nodding off

Post by nodding off » Mon Jun 06, 2005 8:17 pm

Hi Brandy,
Try the positions of the forehead piece. It has 4 different positions. The proper positioning of the mask to your face using this will help you get a great seal with the mask while the straps stay relatively loose. Best of luck!

rock and roll

Post by rock and roll » Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:11 pm

Loosen the top straps to the point it falls off sitting up. I mean loose, to the point of rediculous.. It works!

brandy

Post by brandy » Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:21 pm

I have watched the CD that comes with the Activa. Would the soap I am using to wash the mask make a difference? I can live with the leaks if I need to, but it would still be nice if I could get a better seal.

53now

Post by 53now » Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:57 pm

I turn the machine on first, then put on the mask. Next , I pull the mask away from my face to allow the cushion flaps to "flare" out. If it's still leaking, I use my finger to reach in and manually "pull out" on the inner flap. I'm actually making the inner flap as wide on my face as possible.
(Did that make sense ?)

Every face is different.......but for me the Shallow Cushion leaked like crazy . I'm sticking with the Standard size

Also , try all of the positions on the Forehead support. start with it as flat against your face as possible...then go from there.

Good luck
Rich

Georgia Hosehead

Post by Georgia Hosehead » Tue Jun 07, 2005 2:42 pm

I have two Activa masks, so I'll have a spare just in case. The oldest one has a matte finish on the flexible part that fits against the nose and cheek areas. To get a seal every time, I wipe my nose area and the seal areas with a barely damp washcloth. Put on the headgear (loose fit) and turn on the pressure. Hooray! No leaks! With the newer mask that has a slick finish, it will leak almost all the time, dry or damp. To get it to seal every time, I use "It Sticks", a roll-on adhesive normally used to keep support hose from moving. I asked ResMed about the differences in the mask surfaces, but they didn't seem to believe me and did not give me a promised reply. IMHO it's the best mask on the market. Just wish that it came in a full-face version.

CPAP is wonderful until a cure is found!

eblack

Post by eblack » Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:19 pm

Hi Brandy,

I agree with what everyone is saying, and you seem to be on the right path. IMHO the Activa is the best mask around, FOR ME. Just as "your mileage may vary", your face may vary. I suppose that you have a reason for using the shallow mask. I started with a standard and now use a large. You may want to try a standard. I experience ZERO leaks, and I have a full beard and mustache. Also, it is worth repeating, the headgear must be left loose. By loose I mean if you were upside down it would easily fall off. I believe the only difference between the different sizes are the cushions themselves, not the mask frames, so you should be able to get a different size cushion as a replacement part.

Good luck,
Eric

unclebob

Post by unclebob » Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:40 pm

Hi Brandy,

I also have the Activa medium and very few leaks. Are you sure the shallow is the right size? Not sure if the humidity would have anything to do with it but why not lower it and see how you like it. I think I have mine on 2 or maybe even 1 as at higher settings the air seemed too heavy.

The mask is a good one so tinker your heart out until you're happy.

Good luck

Bob F

unclebob

SheilaB

Post by SheilaB » Tue Jun 07, 2005 6:41 pm

I do what 53now said--pull it out a and make sure the inner flap is correct. Another thing I do is when I feel a leak around my nose I just press it for a few seconds and it stays in place.

One night mine was very loud and leaked like crazy--I discovered that the frame (mine is blue) was not seated properly in the groove of the mask--between two pieces of plastic.

good luck

rock and roll

Post by rock and roll » Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:16 pm

I absolutely love ResMed products but they are the absolute worst at returning messages or responding. Absolutely no ciustomer service at all. If I treated my customers this way I would be out of business!

brandy

Post by brandy » Tue Jun 07, 2005 9:41 pm

I tried loosening the forehead straps last night. That seemed to help somewhat. I was still am having problems with more major leaks after a few hours though. I think it may just be too much humidity. I am getting some rainout in the mask itself (I actually got a faceful of water when I rolled over this morning). I will try turning the humidity down tonight and see how things go.

snork1

Post by snork1 » Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:05 pm

All good tips in the posts above!
My Activa is a pretty much zero leak mask. Occasionally pull it away and reseat it, and every once in awhile I poke the seal back into place.

Do you have a heated hose? That is indeed a must with this mask.

EXTREMELY loose straps are also a must, and play around with the forehead adjustment, although the forehead pad goes from not touching at all to barely touching for me.

It does have a fair amount of pressure on my upper lip and occasionally a mark on my nose bridge, so I rotate every other night with my Swift. Well worth a bit of fiddling for much comfort, minimum leaks, and quiet running.

Not perfect....no mask is....but a darn good one.

Remember:
What you read above is only one data point based on one person's opinion.
I am not a doctor, nor do I even play one on TV.
Your mileage may vary.
Follow ANY advice or opinions at your own risk.
Not everything you read is true.

HoseNose

Post by HoseNose » Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:25 pm

Nobody has yet mentioned position. Try sliding the lower seal of the mask all the way up to your nose and down to just above your upper lip and all positions in between. Position does make a difference, and like other posters have said, the Activa works best loooooooose.

CPAPopedia Keywords Contained In This Post (Click For Definition): activa, seal