Picture of panty hose fix for full face mask?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
pjwalman

Picture of panty hose fix for full face mask?

Post by pjwalman » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:01 am

I apologize for seeming to take the easy way out by asking, but I have searched and been given a huge list of threads to dig through and have now given up.

Can anyone direct me to where I might see a picture of the panty hose or tights fix for leaks in a full face mask? I read the descriptions and tried to fashion one last night, but it didn't do the trick and was still a miserable night fighting leaks.

Thank you!

Peggy

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:53 am

I don't remember seeing a link about that, but maybe someone else does.

What might work kind'a depends on which FF mask you have in mind.

If it was a traditional hard plastic framed FF mask I'd probably try it this ...stick some adhesive backed velcro "dots" on the front plastic. Then, when you put the tights leg horizontally around your head, going over the front of the mask, the velcro dots would "catch" the tights material to keep the strap from slipping up or down in front. Probably would also have to put an extra strap over top of head to attach to the sides of the horizontal strap to keep it from sliding down behind the head.

If you're talking about how to rig it with a FF mask that incorporates nasal pillows into the design, it depends on where the leaks are shooting out from.

Are you talking about the Liberty or Hybrid FF masks which have nasal pillows? If so, are you trying to control leaks at the pillows themselves? Or are you talking about leaks down around the mouth cushion?
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

pjwalman

Post by pjwalman » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:28 pm

Hi, Rested Gal! I've given up on the Hybrid for now, so I am talking about my Quattro. And from your description about the tights leg, obviously I had my fix all wrong , so I hope someone can come up with a picture for me.

I started with the small Quattro and had a better leak rate, more around 34%, 35%, but it was just killing my nose bridge, so I switched to a medium. The medium is much more comfortable, but now my leak rate is more at 40% and above (and I'm getting the puffy eyes, I think more from the exhaust whoosing over when I sleep on my side than from leaks from the cushion because I paid much more attention to that part last night and kept feeling for air). So I may have to go back to the bruised nose bridge 'cause my aerophagia has also gotten almost unbearable, but I thought I'd like to try a couple more fixes first.

I tried the silicone ear plugs "snaked up" around the chin area where I've noticed the most leakage, but tonight I think I'll try going all the way around the mask. And also I read about someone making kind of a "gasket" the shape of the mask which I might try to fashion today. Like I said, obviously I had the panty hose thing wrong. I just had it kind of tied around the elbow ('cause neither my husband or I could get the elbow lose to try the Teflon tape and were worried we'd break it with more torque) and I had it tied low behind my neck since it seems to pull up from the chin.

Jeez, this is a lot of dinking just to get air, isn't it? But I'll dink all I have to to get it right. I may just bring both sizes of the Quattro back to the DME and try the UMFF, which I'm pretty sure is the other full face mask they have on hand there. I've read about the other FF masks, but each has negative reviews, so it's hard to sort out what might work.

Peggy

PocketDragonFriend

I, too, was looking for a picture.

Post by PocketDragonFriend » Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:45 pm

I was having trouble visualizing what everyone was talking about.

I managed to design my own answer and it's working great on my full face mask. Got 9 hours sleep last night! A record.

Hope it's ok to post this link.
http://www.shopnational.com/product.cfm ... sgid=2714_

This is a link to the nylons I wear as knee-highs. (Being 6' tall and over 400 pounds, over-the-knee socks work great as knee highs.) You can see there is a heavy "elastic" top to them. Actually, they have multiple rows of visible rubber elastic to hold the socks up.

I cut the top off of a pair. They work so great for holding my mask in place. They don't have to be tied as they are already a circle.

I start with them on like a headband. The first one I use below the joint of the mask just under my lower lip. It then goes around and up in front of my ears. The second is just above the joint and goes down around the front of my ears.

They don't slide because the rubber elastic "holds" to the mask. Also, the forehead thing and the headgear aren't so tight.

It so funny the things we do to make these things fit better.

----------------------------------------------------
DX: 1/2/08 RX: 18
Machine: REMstarPlus M Series w/ C-flex and humidifier
Mask: Hybrid
Mask: Ultra Mirage Full Face

pjwalman

Post by pjwalman » Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:28 pm

Thank you, PocketDragon, for explaining it to me so I can understand!! I was beginning to wonder if people were wearing panty hose over their faces like you see bank robbers do in the movies with their noses and lips all squished. I thought that might just be going a little far for me, figuring in the claustrophobia element!

Appreciate the link to show the bands you were talking about!!

Peggy

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:27 pm

Great idea, PocketDragonFriend.

Earned ya this!

You can find your contribution listed now under the "Full Face Masks" category here:

LINKS to Lab Rat Trophy awards
viewtopic.php?t=15104
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

Post by Guest » Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:21 pm

Pocketdragonfriend,

Thanks for the link and the explanation.

By "the joint of the mask" do you mean the bit where the mask touches your skin?
Or do you mean round the inlet tube?

I'm trying to visualise this fix on my Liberty

thanks

Di

zorrro13

Post by zorrro13 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:36 pm

Anonymous wrote:Pocketdragonfriend,

Thanks for the link and the explanation.

By "the joint of the mask" do you mean the bit where the mask touches your skin?
Or do you mean round the inlet tube?

I'm trying to visualise this fix on my Liberty

thanks

Di
Pocket this may help you as well. I stopped using my liberty due to leaks especially around pillows when I turned over. Iwas tidying up another batch of useless cpap stuff and found and old chin strap which never worked but then I experimented. If you wrap the strap around your face with the cup for the chin now sitting directly on your nose. What happens is the bottom of the cup covers the pillows and 100% stops them from popping out doesn't matter what I do. It also creates a little more seal for the top 25 % of that mask. The strap is the cheapie 1 strap version and only needs to be tensioned very very lightly. I also find I can now loosen the top straps way back so hardly any pressure on my nostrils

PocketDragonFriend

Update

Post by PocketDragonFriend » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:53 pm

The bands go above and below the joint where the hose meets the plastic.

WOW! Thanks for the trophy! So glad I was able to help someone else after all the support and help I've received from this site.

CPAPopedia Keywords Contained In This Post (Click For Definition): hose

----------------------------------------------------
DX: 1/2/08 RX: 18
Machine: REMstarPlus M Series w/ C-flex and humidifier
Mask: Hybrid
Mask: Ultra Mirage Full Face

GumbyCT

Post by GumbyCT » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:57 am

Here are some more links that may help. Unfortunately, you may have to take the time to read them. The wonderful thing is, you don't have to copy exactly but can get creative to fit your needs.

I know for me, I don't use any velcro. I use knee highs & with hose removed from the mask - mask on face - I place around the hose inlet give it one twist so that the panties are now wrapped around the hose inlet. Pull the remainder of the panties over your head. OR I just pull panties strap (already tied together) over head down to the top of hose inlet, which keeps it from going down on me. OR you can use it to go under your chin & up over your head, as you would any chin strap.

If you can take 1 finger to lightly press mask towards face to eliminate a leak, the panties will help.

The idea of the panties is NOT to keep pressure of mask on your face but to keep the mask from moving away from your face when you have an OA & the air pressure has no where to go. So you don't want it too tight and that is the wonderful thing.

Just adjust mask straps when you begin.

The pics are just to give you ideas to get started.

Lots of links you can click on -
viewtopic.php?t=8884

viewtopic.php?t=11125

http://www.tnlc.com/Lara/laura/osa/aura-strap6ways.jpg

Any time I take it off, I simply wrap (Knot) the strap around the hose, so I know where it is when I go back to bed. Or tie it to the headgear. just I can't see the headgear once it's on my face.

HTH,
GumbyCT

ps. Jules has another award winning pic of teddy but darn if I could find it. Tho I'm sure it's in Laura's award winners somewhere.

I have no doubt, how I sleep affects every waking moment.
I am making progress-NOW I remember that I can't remember
;)
If this isn’t rocket science why are there so many spaceshots?
Be your own healthcare advocate!

Alisha

Post by Alisha » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:38 pm

PocketDragonFriend

Thanks for a great idea. Are you using this hose setup with the UMFF? I would love to see pictures.

Regards,

Alisha,

......The information provided in this post is not intended nor recommended as a substitute for professional medical advice......