Anyone with experience using Oracle mouthpiece?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
debgil

Anyone with experience using Oracle mouthpiece?

Post by debgil » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:35 pm

Instead of a mask going over nose or over nose and mouth, this goes in the mouth only. Anyone willing to share the good, bad or other views on this treatment for apnea? Right now I have been having no luck using SwiftII Pillows, they move around and I can't sleep on side and having trouble with nose pain, feel I will end up looking like a pug dog!

lvwildcat

Post by lvwildcat » Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:35 am

I actually used the flexifit 431 full face mask for 9 months. I said that I loved it but was not in love with it. I constantly turn side to side throughout night. I always had to place a grip on the 431 and adjust it as I was turning over. I had to use it 1 night while waiting for a rush delivery of my 2nd Oracle. (my 1st got trashed after 3 months but I since improvise and the oldest I have currently is over 1 year old-have 3 in all currently) Anyway-when I wore the 431 that night I was shocked at how heavy it felt-I didn't feel that it was heavy when it was my mask of choice. I hardly feel the Oracle;can flip side to side and never have to do any adjusting. The downside- my humidifier is turned up to max and my mouth feels like a desert/sandpaper in AM. A quick sip of water takes care of it but there's no way to avoid the dryness. My leak rate is a lot lower with the Oracle and my AHI is usually 2.0-3.4 range. A lot of people have tried the Oracle but just can't make it work for them. The mask itself is along same lines as a scuba mask. Inside interface and the outer interface that you can tighten or loosen for comfort. Ways that I improvise- plastic clips attach headgear to mask- these clips tore through the mask within 3 months making it unusable. I now thread a small rubberband through the hole on each side of mask and then wrap them around the plastic clips. No more ripped masks!!! The Oracle also comes with a small and large sized interface-I wear small so what I do is use the small as a "template" and cut down the large to small size. Like getting 2 for price of 1. The noseplugs aren't the greatest but I found the best way to make them work for me. I actually use tape to keep them in place as I found after a couple of hours they would begin to slide out. A couple thin strips of plastic medical tape-no more issues-plugs stay put!
I actually pasted this from a message I had sent to someone. I have used the Oracle for almost 2 years now

ozij

Slightly OT

Post by ozij » Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:45 am

How long do you think it takes to pull the mask off - compare to pulling tape off one's lips?

And has any horrified RT or doctor told you not to tape your nose?
The noseplugs aren't the greatest but I found the best way to make them work for me. I actually use tape to keep them in place as I found after a couple of hours they would begin to slide out. A couple thin strips of plastic medical tape-no more issues-plugs stay put!
I'm trying to figure out why mouth taping is a (formal) "no no" and the Oracle is an officially sold mask.

O.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:16 am

ROTFL!! ozij, that was wonderful!!
Excellent point that all the "OMG, DON'T TAPE YOUR MOUTH" sleep "professionals" should consider.

lvwildcat, very good description of your experience with the Oracle and what you did to make it last longer.

I've had two Oracles...the original and the revised one that thankfully did away with the ridiculously long tongue guide thingy they had on the first ones and had a better way to adjust the mouth shield for fit.

Great tip you gave for keeping the nose plugs in place... tape.
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

ozij

Post by ozij » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:26 am

But seriuosly, RG - since you've done both, can you compare taking out the mask and plugs with pulling tape off (in an emergency?) And what about all those "suppose you throw up when you're asleep" warnings- does the Oracle really have some kind of protection against it? Is it easily "spit outable" .

O.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

Post by Guest » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:43 am

Wildcat, Ozij, RG, etc. Thanks for all this! I'm contemplating the Oracle, given all the chinstrap nightmares I've had the past few weeks. I really hate the idea of having my mouth filled and not being able to get sips of water when I want to, but....

Anyone doing The Great Oracle Test Drive? Can I be on it?

LOL,
Babs

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:35 pm

ozij wrote::lol:

But seriuosly, RG - since you've done both, can you compare taking out the mask and plugs with pulling tape off (in an emergency?) And what about all those "suppose you throw up when you're asleep" warnings- does the Oracle really have some kind of protection against it? Is it easily "spit outable" .

O.
"spit outable" LOL!!

It's not any harder to take the Oracle out/off than any other mask ...or to take off mouth tape, if folded ends for tabs are there as they should be.

Easily spit-outable though? Nah. Can't just spit the Oracle out with a simple phhhht.

Seriously, if an emergency arose (if gorge rose!!) the one thing a person could get off the fastest, imho, is polident or tape. As in lips sealed shut with Polident strips, or lips covered with tape. That's IF the person had folded each end of the tape down onto itself to make an easy tab to grab.

Either of those -- polident or tape -- would be faster to get out of the way than any mask covering the mouth. Faster than getting any Full Face mask or the Oracle out of the way. In my opinion.

LINKS to: Mouth leaks - Air Leaks - Tape - DIY Guard
viewtopic.php?t=8011
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

Post by Guest » Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:32 pm

Hey, in my brief experience of having stomach upset since being on CPAP... I had to give it up. There was no way I could rip the mask off and leap out of bed fast enough to hit the bathroom without causing a mess somewhere along the line.

Can you relate to dragging the quilt into the bathroom and just napping on the floor?

I had to do it pre-cpap, I still have to do it. Barf & S*** happens.

LOL,
B.

debgil

Post by debgil » Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:48 pm

Guess what cpap clinic forgot to tell me (according to posts here)?
Of course I should have been smart enough to figure it out, but I was in the midst of trying to control a bunch of mental disorders as the time (panic attack, claustrophobia, ptsd, severe depression)....but thought ok, pillows aren't working, so at clinic they had me try regular nose mask, full-face, well, neither of those are ever going to happen. Then they brought out the Oracle. I pushed down the panic long enough to get it on and try it (talk about immediate dry mouth!) for a few minutes. But they never mentioned at all AT ALLL about having to block up my nose. I know it seems stupid of me not to realize this, but it makes me mad they didn't say so. Did I mention, I am Sooooo sleepy?
I just wanted to know why I was snoring so loudly and I end up with this horrible apnea thing dumped on my plate. Wish I didn't know.

jskinner

Post by jskinner » Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:50 pm

I used the Oracle for 3 months and I have to say it was a terrible experience for me. It was light and non obtrusive but I just couldn't control the nose leaks and extreme dry mouth .

I'm using a Resmed Liberty now, have you considered that option? I also use a Hybrid sometimes but the Liberty seems a bit more refined.

Encore Pro Analyzer Author
Facebook Apnea Group