Nasal Aire Modified Headgear

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
sleepycarol

Nasal Aire Modified Headgear

Post by sleepycarol » Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:50 pm

We didn't have school today so I had plenty of time on my hands (okay I have papers to grade but that don't count!!).

I have been using the Nasal Aire but didn't like the headgear that came with it. It kept sliding around and off no matter what I have tried. Velcro pulls my hair so didn't try Jerry's fix as I hate my hair tangled in the velcro.

I took a stocking cap (found one in pink) and hemmed it right above my ears. I then took and marked where I wanted the straps to hold the tubing. I used a couple of pieces of elastic above the ears as a starting point. I sewed them on. Next I took what would be the back strap to hold the tubing back prior to it looping around front and put a couple of pieces of velcro there to hold them down in the area that is back below the ears. No need for an additional strap to hold it now on the neck area. Then I sewed a couple of smaller velcro pieces on to the top front in front of the elastic ear pieces to help stabilize it more in the front. I added a piece of elastic to make a strap for under my chin so that it won't slide off during the night. It appears pretty stable and am trying it out tonight.

I was in need of some bags to hold some of my extra masks and took a cheap fleece baby blanket from Dollar Tree and cut it into rectangles to hold the mask, headgear, and seals. I put velcro on two opposite sides and sewed up the other three sides. Works perfectly for masks storage and will keep them nice and clean between uses.

Hope someone can use these tips.

CPAPopedia Keywords Contained In This Post (Click For Definition): tubing, clean

Last edited by sleepycarol on Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Start Date: 8/30/2007 Pressure 9 - 15
I am not a doctor or other health care professional. Comments reflect my own personal experiences and opinions.

Post by Guest » Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:41 pm

Looks great!! Should do a good job. Looks real stable. Let us know how the test run goes! That may rivel Babs modification!

Jerry

Post by Guest » Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:12 pm

THE BEST REASON YET TO LOG ON TONIGHT!!!!

(I can't see pix at work)

Woo Hoo!
Babs

sleepycarol

Post by sleepycarol » Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:33 pm

I have posted some pics Babs -- hope it doesn't slow it down too much for those on dial up.
I am not a doctor or other health care professional. Comments reflect my own personal experiences and opinions.

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:51 pm

Carol, great idea and great pictures!

May I present your trophy....

Super job!

sleepycarol

Post by sleepycarol » Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:55 pm

Thank you rested gal -- that means a lot to me!!

I will let everyone know tomorrow how it actually works as I am using it tonight.

If it works I will have to do some other configuration for summer as the stocking hat may be too hot -- but now that the winter months are here this will work great and not be too hot.

Babette

Post by Babette » Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:58 pm

FABULOUS! I think it's a definite winter idea that could be modified to suit other masks, too.

GREAT JOB CAROL! Thanks for posting the pix!!!

Cheers,
Babs

I currently have a stash of Nasal Aire II cannulas in Small or Extra Small. Please PM me if you would like them. I'm interested in bartering for something strange and wonderful that I don't currently own. Or a Large size NAII cannula. :)

Babette

Post by Babette » Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:07 pm

Hey Carol, here's an idea for your "summer" version:

http://www.sleep-cap.com/

Yours looks better than his already. I'm sure you could come up with a much cuter idea.

LOL,
Babs

I currently have a stash of Nasal Aire II cannulas in Small or Extra Small. Please PM me if you would like them. I'm interested in bartering for something strange and wonderful that I don't currently own. Or a Large size NAII cannula. :)

sleepycarol

Post by sleepycarol » Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:09 am

I tried out my new and improved headgear last night. It worked great!!! The prongs stayed where they were supposed to, I could easily switch positions with them dislodging, and it was more comfortable then the original headgear.

I am going to work on the chin strap today as that was the only hang up and it isn't a biggie. I attached the velcro at the bottom edge and need to move it up so it doesn't rub against my ear.

An overall good experience!!

Post by Guest » Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:13 am

GREAT!!!! I too have had problems with things rubbing on my ears. The neoprene of the Topaz bothers my ears, because the manufacturer didn't see fit to bind the edges, since they don't ravel.

If you get really enthusiastic about this project, I'll send you my old Topaz, and you can fiddle with it, and maybe figure out how to either make a cover for it, or replicate it in another material.

I jerry rigged a little cotton cover for it, but it's pretty lame.

Cheers,
Babs

sleepycarol

Post by sleepycarol » Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:33 am

In my other post is should have read it didn't dislodge the prongs.

I may take you up on your offer -- bet I could come up with something.

Especially if we have many of these snow days as I go stir crazy with nothing to do!! No comments

Yea, I know I am already there.

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:14 pm

Carol, as one lab rat looking at another lab rat's pictures of their work, I KNEW that was gonna do the trick, even before you slept all night using it. That's why you got your trophy right away.

Glad to hear I didn't have to say, "Hey, give it back!"
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

sleepycarol

Post by sleepycarol » Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:25 pm

I played with the strap today. I took it apart and reattached the velcro -- smart move on my part. It should work perfectly and the velcro shouldn't scrape me now. I did make some hose covers for the Nasal Aire hoses. I have already put them on and going to see how they work tonight.

Thanks Rested Gal. Coming from you that is some compliment!!!!

neverbetter

Post by neverbetter » Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:22 pm

what a great idea. got to show the wife

sleepycarol

Post by sleepycarol » Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:27 pm

Neverbetter if she has questions, pm me and I will try to help.