Yet another modification for the Headrest/Aura/Twilight NP

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
RosemaryB

Yet another modification for the Headrest/Aura/Twilight NP

Post by RosemaryB » Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:05 pm

I have been loving the Headrest. I decided to remove the headgear, but I looked at it and thought I'd keep the height assembly attached. So, I wrapped those long rather sharp plastic pieces that used to be attached to the headgear with some of that J&J "Hurt-Free First Aid Wrap" to cushion it. Then I used one strap of pantyhose tights around the head and looped a headband through it to go over the top of my head. This seems to stabilize it nicely, though I also use a "mouth strap" with it to prevent cheek puffing (blowfish effect).

Here are some photos

Thread on how I overcame aerophagia
http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic/t3383 ... hagia.html

Thread on my TAP III experience
http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic/t3705 ... ges--.html

tangents

Post by tangents » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:13 am

Nice, Rosemary, thanks for the description!

Doesn't the mask still rub your head and make your hair fall out?

Regards,
Cathy

RosemaryB

Post by RosemaryB » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:01 pm

Tangents, the stuff I wrap those two extensions in are very soft, not like that rubber headgear at all. and so far I haven't noticed hair loss. I've been wearing the topaz chinstrap and that would be more likely to cause a problem with hair in that area., since it's much tighter.

I do plan to try the other method eventually, when I get my next 6 month mask, I plan to get another Headrest, then I'll do the "classic" decapitation and compare them. For me the downside is the second set of straps across my face.

So far, the Topaz is only causing me a only a bit of grief (face marks), but for summer I plan to revert to mouth taping, or mouth wrapping only. There are a lot of variables in this equation . When the seasons change the whole setup may change. Heated hose in cool/cold months and still a bit of rainout, but you don't sweat to death with a lot of stuff on your head/face. So for summer I may use the mask shown here and the one set of straps, plus a "mouth wrap."

For some reason, I couldn't wear the topaz chinstrap at first, since it really aggravated my TMJ. But now that I have the Aura, my head can set differently on the pillow and I don't seem to have a problem with it.

tangents

Post by tangents » Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:10 am

Rosemary, have you tried a mouthguard? In my case, it completes the whole get-up by taking up enough room in my mouth and forcing my tongue a little bit backward so that no air escapes. I don't care for the $1 variety, but my $15 dollar one lasts 3 months or so.

Take Care,
Cathy

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:24 am

Rose won another "Lab Rat Award" for this. She can pick up her plaque at:

viewtopic.php?t=26184&start=15

Good job and good pics, Rose!
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

sharon1965

Post by sharon1965 » Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:06 pm

rosemary
just wondering if you're still liking this alternative modification?

i've been using my new headrest for about 3 weeks now, and haven't had a chance to decapitate it like my old one...my numbers have been so good (ahi=1 every night, and low leak rate) that i've been torn about removing the rubber headgear, but i do notice that when i wash or brush my hair that my scalp is sore, so i really do need to make some kind of change...i'm interested in your mod. since the height adjustment component is left in place...also, were you the one who said you could put it back to it's original condition with this modification?
thanks!

RosemaryB

Post by RosemaryB » Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:57 pm

sharon1965 wrote:rosemary
just wondering if you're still liking this alternative modification?

i've been using my new headrest for about 3 weeks now, and haven't had a chance to decapitate it like my old one...my numbers have been so good (ahi=1 every night, and low leak rate) that i've been torn about removing the rubber headgear, but i do notice that when i wash or brush my hair that my scalp is sore, so i really do need to make some kind of change...i'm interested in your mod. since the height adjustment component is left in place...also, were you the one who said you could put it back to it's original condition with this modification?
thanks!
I'm still using it and it's working very well. I had my second AHI of 0.0 night ever recently. This is due both to the mask and to my new alternative to mouth taping. Even with a cough (not too bad a one now) I'm faring well.

I don't know if you can put the headgear back or not, since I cut the old headgear off and it's ripped up. Someone else must have said that.

When I'm due for my next mask (not for a few months), I plan to use this one and try the "classic mod a la rested gal". Then I'll compare the two mods. I may also try to preserve the headgear and see if I can put it back together, just for science. With this mod, my scalp is not sore. Since I wrap it in that very soft wrap stuff it's likely that it's easier on my hair. Also the headband that goes over that piece is a fairly stretchy one, not very tight, just keeps it in place. You could also use pantyhose, but I had it around and fewer knots that way. These headbands were very cheap.

sharon1965

Post by sharon1965 » Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:26 am

thanks rose
yeah, i definitely like your modifcation......it's not like my numbers were so high with the other mod...hovering around 1.5 - 2.5 most of the time, but seeing that 1.0 all the time has been nice and i'd love to get below 1.0, but i'm going to try yours this time since i'm going to have to remove the rubber headgear, it's just bugging me too much

i've been searching for that other post about decapitating it in such a way as to be able to put it back together, mainly because, as i mentioned, i'm so torn about modifiying it at all, but i just can't seem to find it...no big deal, but if anyone can direct me i'd surely appreciate it!

thanks again rosemary