Decapitating a Twilite NP mask

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Hurricane

Decapitating a Twilite NP mask

Post by Hurricane » Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:29 pm

I use the Swift 11 as my primary mask, but would like to try my Twilite NP as a alternative, my question is by cutting off the strap section just what are you gaining, is it a more consistent fit to prevent leakage, or is it just comfort of eliminating the straps, I know about the straps made from pantyhose, would like to hear from those who have altered their masks, how they felt about the improvement and what actually improved.
Ed

JZ

Re: Decapitating a Twilite NP mask

Post by JZ » Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:58 pm

Hurricane wrote:I use the Swift 11 as my primary mask, but would like to try my Twilite NP as a alternative, my question is by cutting off the strap section just what are you gaining, is it a more consistent fit to prevent leakage, or is it just comfort of eliminating the straps, I know about the straps made from pantyhose, would like to hear from those who have altered their masks, how they felt about the improvement and what actually improved.
Hurricane,

Here is a boatload of threads on modifying the Twilight/Aura/Headrest.

viewtopic.php?t=3098

Some of the reasons I have seen for alterations are because the nubby headpiece can cause thinning of the hair in that spot, the head gear is too big for most women, and the modification makes the thing much more lightweight.

Janna

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:06 am

JZ wrote:Some of the reasons I have seen for alterations are because the nubby headpiece can cause thinning of the hair in that spot, the head gear is too big for most women, and the modification makes the thing much more lightweight.

Janna
Ditto to what Janna said.
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

kteague

Deconstructed Aura

Post by kteague » Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:27 am

I deconstructed mine first because it was summer and the rubber headgear was hot, and I just didn't like the rubber against my hair. Also, the headgear just sat on my head and wasn't snug enough to be of any support.

For someone who didn't mind the rubber and it fit their head, I think they would do just fine by adding the tights strap directly around the nosepiece for stabilization and leaving it alone.

Pros to deconstructing - lightweight and cool.

Cons to deconstructing - need to pad it so plastic does not sit right on forehead (now using piece of leftover stocking with moleskin - going to switch to a makeup sponge); if not strapped securely it can wiggle and cause leaks.

At first I wound my strap over the upper side of the remaining plastic frame, under the tube, then over the other upper side of the frame. For some reason this quit working for me, so I moved it lower and also add a strap around the nosepiece. Rarely have leaks, and I just let the hose lay across the head of the bed above the pillow and that works fine for me. I have a stocking footie over the nosepiece with 2 slits for the pillows so that the plastic doesn't touch my face.

It's not pretty, but it's comfy.

Image[/img]

Hurricane

Post by Hurricane » Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:38 am

Thanks for the replies, fortunately or should I say unfortunately I no longer have to worry about the thinning hair problem
The stability part I would like to improve on, like staying in position to prevent leakage, just trying to keep it simple yet most effective, I guess I was wondering if the pantyhose was doing a good job of keeping it in place.
Ed

Catnapper

the Aura

Post by Catnapper » Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:16 am

I did it because I just couldn't resist wearing fishnet panty hose on my head!

Actually, I find this to be a very comfortable, non-binding, mask version with low leaks and no strap marks on the face. It is very light in weight, and the straps are soft and hold the mask in place without binding. I was skeptical. Now I am a believer!

You can't beat it for a fashionable look!

BadBreath

Post by BadBreath » Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:30 pm

Hurricane wrote: The stability part I would like to improve on, like staying in position to prevent leakage, just trying to keep it simple yet most effective.
Every mask I have tried has been improved by replacing the headgear with a "one size fits all" ball cap. The Aura/Twilight NP is no exception. Like most of the mods I have done there is no permanent damage to the mask. In this case the rubber headgear can be removed from the mask just by slipping it out from under the plastic anchors at the connection points and can be replaced if the mod does not work for you. Then the remaining assembly is attached to a ball cap.

Here is the ballcap modifications:

You take the nose piece and work it down through the hole in the brim (it is quite flexible and will collapse enough to get it through) until it seats on the top of the brim. You then attach the rest of the interface to the nosepiece, and then to the cap using a Velcro strap through the slots in the headpiece anchor and then through the slots you made in the top of the cap. It is best to have the mask anchor a little forward, so the arc of the anchor is in front of, not on, the arc of the cap. This way the forward adjustment of the mask will increase the angle of the nosepiece towards your nose, eliminating the need for any additional straps. You lose the height adjustment but this can be accommodated by the position of the cap on you forehead.

Comfortable, easy to put on and take off and no hair loss. And no permanent deconstruction of the mask.

Post by Guest » Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:28 pm

I think I saw that picture on the cover of PEOPLE magazine under "Sexiest Man Alive"

And no pantyhose needed!

blarg

Post by blarg » Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:29 am

Hurricane wrote:my question is by cutting off the strap section just what are you gaining, is it a more consistent fit to prevent leakage, or is it just comfort of eliminating the straps
For me, I gained a MUCH more stable mask. With just the baseball cap style headgear, it moved around much more and irritated my nostrils. Now it's lighter, closer fitting, more comfortable, and less leak prone.
I'm a programmer Jim, not a doctor!

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:03 am

blarg wrote:For me, I gained a MUCH more stable mask. With just the baseball cap style headgear, it moved around much more and irritated my nostrils. Now it's lighter, closer fitting, more comfortable, and less leak prone.
A small clarification: When blarg wrote "baseball cap style headgear", I think he means the headgear that comes with the mask itself. I don't think he's referring to Bad Breath's "baseball cap" modification.
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

Hurricane

Post by Hurricane » Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:39 am

Thanks for the endorsements from long time users of the Aura Twilite NP make over, your continuity in usage of the mask, that says so much for it, I will definitely get my Dremel tool out and start surgery, cause the mask is just doing nothing but hanging out in the closet.
Ed

Hurricane

Post by Hurricane » Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:29 pm

Just brought up my chopped down version of the Aura Twillite NP from my chop shop in the garage, have the pantyhose ready, will try this weekend to make this work.
Ed

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:27 pm

Hurricane wrote:Just brought up my chopped down version of the Aura Twillite NP from my chop shop in the garage, have the pantyhose ready, will try this weekend to make this work.
Ed

WTG, Ed!!

Good luck!!
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

sharon1965

Post by sharon1965 » Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:41 pm

for me it's still the best one so far, though when i go back for another psg in january, i'll feel a little weird wearing my pantyhose leg tied around my head and my cosmetic pad between what's left of the aura and my forehead

i've been doing the lansinoh thing again, too, something i had given up on during the warm weather...now that it's cold, it stays sticky and really helps keep the seal

blarg

Post by blarg » Sat Nov 24, 2007 6:36 am

rested gal wrote:A small clarification: When blarg wrote "baseball cap style headgear", I think he means the headgear that comes with the mask itself. I don't think he's referring to Bad Breath's "baseball cap" modification.
You're 100% correct. Sorry for the vagueness.
I'm a programmer Jim, not a doctor!