A workable alternative to mouth taping!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
RosemaryB

A workable alternative to mouth taping!

Post by RosemaryB » Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:15 am

Here's what I did last night instead of mouth taping or using Poligrip. First I put on a Topaz chinstrap. Second, I tied a "mouthband" for cheek puffing around my mouth. This goes at right angles to the chinstrap, across the mouth and cheeks, like a headband only around your mouth. I used a length of Johnson & Johnson First Aid Hurt-Free Wrap, 2-Inch. It's kind of stretchy and latex free. It doesn't stick to your skin, but to itself. It kind of clings to your skin. It's somewhat like an Ace bandage, but no latex and lighter weight. I just wear it around my mouth like JeffH did with his headband for blowfish. I tie it in the back. The wrap lasts about a week or so until it loses its stretch.

[I'm adding this on 11/12 because I originally used the term "Hurt-Free Tape" which was incorrect . I looked it up online and found that name. But there are both "hurt free tape" and "hurt free wrap" which I didn't find online. What I use is the Hurt Free Wrap. It's a material that is more like a slightly stretchy fabric or an ace bandage, but no latex. This does not stick to your lips or stick your lips together. It holds your cheeks in so there is no puffer-fish effect, and it exerts a slight pressure on your lips that might help to keep them closed. The pressure is mechanical, not adhesive. ]

With this I could open my mouth (and did so to cough). But with the puffer cheeks/blowfish taken care of, there were no puffs leaking out. The chinstrap kept my jaw from dropping.

I did this because I have a cold or maybe the flu. I started the night with the Liberty, but that was making my throat dry and triggering coughing spells. Because the nasal congestion seemed not too bad I decided to go back to the Headrest, my usual mask. However, I knew that the mouth taping or poligrip strips were not going to work with the coughing. So I tried the above process. Necessity is the mother of invention!

I'm pretty happy with my results. My AHI was 0.5 and the leak line had a few "zipper" areas in it, but was nice and level.

I'm going to try and post some photos when I get the time.

Here's the printout of the night from Encore Pro.

Edited to add pictures on Nov 23rd:

Here are some photos of it. The first one is just the "mouth wrap." It's white, so I put a red marker line around the edges so it would show up for the photo, it doesn't normally have a squiqqly red line . The second two show the topaz chinstrap over the mouth wrap. The fourth one shows how I tie it to the Headrest Mask to make a second strap to secure the Headrest. This is very stable. It's ok just to tie the mouth wrap at the back of your neck as shown, too. I would add the Topaz either before or after the Headrest.

Last edited by RosemaryB on Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.
- Rose

Thread on how I overcame aerophagia
http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic/t3383 ... hagia.html

Thread on my TAP III experience
http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic/t3705 ... ges--.html

6PtStar

Post by 6PtStar » Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:17 am

Wow. I'm impressed. My leak graph looks like a rollercoster compared to yours. Even when I use polygrip strips I can't get anywhere that flat. When I cough I get a spike that goes to around 40 or 50. I guess I am going to have to work harder and here I thought I was doing pretty good.

Thanks for the inspiration. I will have to try the mouth strap now that I know what to shoot for.

Last edited by 6PtStar on Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:43 am, edited 3 times in total.
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting: "Wow what a ride!"
I still play Cowboys and Bad Guys but now I use real bullets. CAS

RosemaryB

Post by RosemaryB » Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:33 am

6PtStar wrote:Wow. I'm impressed. My leak graph looks like a rollercoster compared to yours. Even when I use polygrip strips I can't get anywhere that flat. When I cough I get a spike that goes to around 40 or 50. I guess I am going to have to work harder and here I thought I was doing pretty good.

Thanks for the inspiration. I will have to try the mouth strap now that I know what to shoot for.
If you are leaking due to "blowfish" or mouth puffing, the mouthband makes a big difference.

My leak line, with the mouthband plus tape/poligrip, usually looks similar. I've tried the mouthband without a chin strap and got a lot of leaks, too. I was happy to see that the chinstrap/mouthband combo did work for me, at least last night.

I was trying to control the coughs, and they show up as snores in the chart. I think the leaks, to some extent, are individual. I don't tend to move a lot in my sleep and that helps. But the mouthband really does make a difference in my leak line.

mindy

Post by mindy » Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:44 am

Thanks much, Rose!

I've tried both but not together so will see how that works for me. Great idea!

Mindy

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
--- Author unknown

RosemaryB

Post by RosemaryB » Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:29 pm

mindy wrote:Thanks much, Rose!

I've tried both but not together so will see how that works for me. Great idea!

Mindy
Let us know if it works for you. I used it again last night and it worked fine for me. I had some extra bumps in the line, but the leak numbers were still ok. I think that when this happens, it's time to use new wrap for the mouthband.

I'm still somewhat congested from the cold, but as long as I can breathe through the top nostril while lying on my side the nasal mask seems to be working. Tonight I plan to use a neti pot to get a good start on the night.

Last edited by RosemaryB on Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Rose

mindy

Post by mindy » Sat Nov 10, 2007 4:55 pm

Hi Rose,

I tried your combo last night and it worked well (I used vetwrap)

I always have a bit of a rocky leak profile no matter what I try but it doesn't get high or too far out of hand. The chin strap plus band improved my leak rate. I'm still planning to try a FF mask soon to see how I like it.

I hope your cold is better soon!

Mindy

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
--- Author unknown

6PtStar

Post by 6PtStar » Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:13 pm

This is what mine usually looks like, would like for it to look more like yours. I use Polygrip strips, but not all the time but it doesn't change much whether I use them or not. If my NAII leaks I can't tell it but I can't think of any other reason why my leak graph is this rocky. Anyone want to tell me how much roller coster is exceptable or should I keep trying new things until it is flat?

Jerry

mindy

Post by mindy » Sat Nov 10, 2007 6:32 pm

Hi Jerry,

That looks darn good to me! Mine is higher and rockier so by comparison yours is much closer to a straight line. I'd be delighted to swap

Mindy

--- Author unknown

6PtStar

Post by 6PtStar » Sat Nov 10, 2007 7:00 pm

Thanks Mindy

After looking at Rosemary's I was kinda feeling down about mine. I thought mine was decent till I saw that really really straight line. I did not think you could get it that straight unless your head was in a space helmet and sealed at the neck.

Jerry

mindy

Post by mindy » Sat Nov 10, 2007 7:27 pm

6PtStar wrote:Thanks Mindy

After looking at Rosemary's I was kinda feeling down about mine. I thought mine was decent till I saw that really really straight line. I did not think you could get it that straight unless your head was in a space helmet and sealed at the neck.

Jerry
I don't think I'd want to try the space helmet route

Mindy

--- Author unknown

TerryB

Post by TerryB » Sat Nov 10, 2007 7:39 pm

6PtStar.
IMHO, if you are not getting large leaks, you machine is able to do its job. So fussing with the small leaks is only related to comfort and the ability to sleep soundly. If the leaks disturb you they need fixing regardless of quantity. If they don't disturb AND aren't called large by the machine they are of no consequence to your treatment.

TerryB

teach

Post by teach » Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:01 pm

Please send a pic... I just can't get the idea. thanks..

6PtStar

Post by 6PtStar » Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:03 pm

They don't bother me, heck I don't even know they are there unless I look at the print out. I have not had a large leak reported on Encore Pro in over 7 months. I just did not know you could get a leak graph as flat as Rosemary's. After looking at hers I thought maybe I was missing out on something. Think I will just keep on plodding along. Thanks All!!

RosemaryB

Post by RosemaryB » Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:33 pm

[quote="6PtStar"]They don't bother me, heck I don't even know they are there unless I look at the print out. I have not had a large leak reported on Encore Pro in over 7 months. I just did not know you could get a leak graph as flat as Rosemary's. After looking at hers I thought maybe I was missing out on something. Think I will just keep on plodding along. Thanks All!!

RosemaryB

Post by RosemaryB » Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:39 pm

mindy wrote:Hi Rose,

I tried your combo last night and it worked well (I used vetwrap)

I always have a bit of a rocky leak profile no matter what I try but it doesn't get high or too far out of hand. The chin strap plus band improved my leak rate. I'm still planning to try a FF mask soon to see how I like it.

I hope your cold is better soon!

Mindy
I'm glad it worked for you! I'm really excited at the idea of not having to tape. Is vetwrap like an Ace bandage for pets?

I can't tolerate most FF masks, or even nasal ones. The hybrid or Liberty are all I can use and they make my throat too dry, so I'm happy with the nasal pillows.

I'm really loving the Headrest. It's so wonderful for side sleeping compared to anything else.