NasalAire II Review and Recommendation

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Babette

NasalAire II Review and Recommendation

Post by Babette » Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:22 am

I just want to put in my recommendation for the Nasalaire II.

https://www.cpap.com/productpage/innome ... re-ii.html

I got this in trade with IBTeri on Saturday and I've had two GLORIOUS nights with it! It took me some time to futz with the headgear to get it in just the right position for me. The time is because the headgear is ALL VELCRO and it sticks REALLY WELL so I was constantly getting stuck in the wrong place and having to pull apart and....

HEAVEN!!!! Others complain about the 'nasal prong' style of the Nasal Aire. They don't like the things going up their nose. NOT a problem for me. Probably because I've spent 6 weeks on pillows and was used to it to a certain degree. I chatted for a long time with the Teleflex rep about the NasalAire, and he said the problem is most people shove them up too far. You need to shove them up, then pull them down until the little bulgy part "stops". That's where you get the best seal. It was totally comfortable for me - in fact, MORE comfortable than pillows, since I didn't have the irritation on the outside of the nostrils that the pillows cause, and no irritation on the upper lip since nothing touched there.

I like that I can totally customize where the tubes go. For me, I wanted over the head, away from the side of my head, but NOT obstructing my vision. I secured them to the front of the headgear just barely to each side of my eyes. I then joined the two tubes just past this with the little double-loopy thing they give you to do this. I ran the machine tube over my headboard, connected the mask tube, and it was no problem all night.

I like that the vent shoots straight down my body. Less chance of it hitting the sheet and making that loud hissing noise. When it did, I repositioned slightly, and it was done. Most quiet mask I've used so far.

NO condensation or rainout. Of course, it's warm now, and I turned my humidifier off, so that could account for that, as well.

I used Ayr Gel liberally inside and outside my nose, which I have been doing for a couple of weeks. I think it lubes it enough to ease the insertion. Insertion is difficult, but not PAINFUL at all. It's a large tube going in a small hole, but both are flexible. It takes more time than positioning pillows, but the lack of leaks, and NO POP OFFS made it SOOOOO worthwhile.

I side slept with no problems from pop offs or leaks, no hose management issues at all.

I could sit up and read in bed before sleep without anything obstructing my vision.

I unhooked at the machine hose for potty breaks, and I'm so used to doing that it was no problem.

I'm contemplating this AM sewing velcro loop onto my chinstrap, so that I can eliminate the NasalAire headgear entirely. I only need it to stabilize those two forehead points, anyway, and I think the chinstrap mod would work great for that.

The final selling point for me - NO HEADACHES IN THE MORNING!!! No stiff neck, nada. I feel very good and have had lots of energy yesterday and am looking forward to same today.

Cheers,
Barbara

I currently have a stash of Nasal Aire II cannulas in Small or Extra Small. Please PM me if you would like them. I'm interested in bartering for something strange and wonderful that I don't currently own. Or a Large size NAII cannula. :)

Jefe

Post by Jefe » Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:38 am

I would like to be the first in offering you congrats, Babette.

I know it's been a struggle for you to do so, but for the most part, you have remained upbeat & positive in your quest to find a mask that works for you. You are one of the things motivating me to keep going, and not throw my accursed mask in the corner & give up.

I hope it keeps working for you. Please let us know how it progresses.

neverbetter

Post by neverbetter » Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:40 am

I always agreed it was one of the best masks out there for comfort, by far, but the tubing gets harder after about a year. Way easier on my nose than a pillow.

Babette

Post by Babette » Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:45 am

Thank you Jefe!!! What a sweet post! (Throws cyber kiss)

I'm hoping the mask CONTINUES good for me. I've had some wonderful first nights and then not been able to replicate the magic.

And thanks for the tips on the tubes getting hard, neverbetter. I'll definitely have to be diligent about replacing on scheduling. Luckily, I have a pretty good mask replacement schedule - every 6 months.

Many thanks to all here! I OWE ALL MY GOOD DAYS TO YOU!
B.

I currently have a stash of Nasal Aire II cannulas in Small or Extra Small. Please PM me if you would like them. I'm interested in bartering for something strange and wonderful that I don't currently own. Or a Large size NAII cannula. :)

momadams

Post by momadams » Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:09 am

"The final selling point for me - NO HEADACHES IN THE MORNING!!! No stiff neck, nada."

Barbara-
What do you feel was the cause of the headackes and neck stiffness?
Shari

Babette

Post by Babette » Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:13 am

I think it was a combination of things - headgear irritation (I really don't like headbands - don't normally wear hair bands even), weird positioning on the pillow to try to keep the mask from leaking, numerous arousals to deal with mask leaks and hose management, and possibly poor Oxygen levels due to leaking.

But, that's just my theory. I could be dead wrong about all of it. All I know is that I had headaches every day last week, and none on Sunday or today.

Cheers,
B.

Snoredog

Post by Snoredog » Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:38 am

you should have told me, I had one of those I could have stuck in the box as packing material

I found it noisy, couldn't sleep from all the noise.
someday science will catch up to what I'm saying...

Babette

Post by Babette » Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:47 am

Well, I didn't really WANT one... It looked like I wouldn't like it. But then I got to try it on on Saturday and discovered it was a good thing after all!

Hey! Readers! Snoredog has one to get rid of! PM him!

If you don't get any takers soon, I'll take it.

LOL,
B.

momadams

Post by momadams » Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:10 am

What's your verdict on the noise level?
I use the Swift and have no noise complaints with it (hubby says it's nice to hear me breathing...). Is the Nasalaire II about the same?
Shari

tangents

Post by tangents » Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:14 am

Hey Babette, great news!

So how was the workshop, anyway? Who did you get to meet?

Did you ever de-capitate your Twilight?

Do tell!

Cathy

Babette

Post by Babette » Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:21 am

Never used the Swift. See my mask list in my signature.

I find this quieter than any other mask I've used. I don't experience the usual inhale/exhale noises, and the vent noise is minimal, as long as I don't position so that there's a pillow or sheet there for it to hit upon.

Cheers,
Barbara

Babette

Post by Babette » Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:24 am

Hey Cathy! The workshop was great - see my report in the Seattle Workshop thread.

IB Teri, PaulB, and Gasp and me showed up. We had fun and I got to try a bunch of masks on, and discovered that I had something Teri wanted and she had something I wanted, so we made the swap.

I have decided to NOT decapitate my Twilight, after falling in love with the NAII. I am offering it to someone who wants to test drive it and possibly buy it. I was in that category - couldn't find one to try on.

So, email me if you want to test drive this and possibly buy it. Preference given to readers without medical insurance or under other financial strictures.

Cheers,
B.

Last edited by Babette on Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tangents

Post by tangents » Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:30 am

Thanks, Babette, I just finished reading your summary and the others' as well. Glad you had such a great day! Thanks for sharing all the information gleaned from the vendors, RT, and doctor.

I'm getting my first once-every-3-month replacement mask soon, and have decided to get another Twilight. So far, it's working just fine for me, so I want a spare before I start adding to my "oh well, nice try" collection. I use the medium size pillows, so I will have 2 brand new large pillows for trade, too.

Later,
Cathy

new2

Post by new2 » Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:49 am

Babette, you are soooo cool. And...You Are Sooo Smart! I love You!
Your thing about putting my NasalAire II on my Bravo hose worked like a dream. How in the world did you figure that out? I have had a Nasal-Aire II for ages and I would have never thought to try that. I wonder if Teleflex knows?
And yes, I love my Nasal-Aire II. As far as air flow goes, and breathing against it, it ranks right up there with the Hybrid.
The cannula causes less stress on the nose than a pillow. If I used Ayr gel, it was only for the first night. I never had a sore spot or felt any discomfort from it at all. It is , till this day, the only mask that I can't feel once I've gone to sleep. If I didn't need to tape my mouth, NasalAire II would be my one and only mask and I would be happy to not even try anything new.....be that as it may, I'm a mouth leaky breather so I need the best of both worlds.
And I need people like Babs to come up with these great ideas to make my cpap life a joy sometimes.

dieselgal

Post by dieselgal » Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:06 am

Well now I want to try it too! I am still searching for the perfect mask myself. I have found many that aren't but none that come real close.
Good luck and I hope the good vibes continue.