New CL2 Modifications

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
flygal6

New CL2 Modifications

Post by flygal6 » Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:41 pm

I presently am successfully using the Comfort Lite 2 with the simple cushion. I am mostly a side sleeper and like having the sides of my face free, with no part of the interface jamming into the pillow, causing loss of seal. Unfortunatley like many of you this success has not come without many modifications due to some minor problems with comfort. So my modifications are an effort to improve on that comfort leval. These were the issues I was having and my fixes for them (some borrowed from others on this site....you know who you are) Pictures are included (thanks to rested gal for helping me post these) (Warning...laughing is encouraged for my ingenuity in creative supplies for the air diverter)

1) Cold air blowing down on to me from exhaust port....created air diverter custom cut out of new toliet flapper valve (pic #1)

2) Air leaking at connection of rt angle elbow......wrapped vertical tube with plumber's teflon tape (pic #2)

3) The infamous rt angle swivel connector jamming into pillow and not moving freely with turning side to side....carefully disconnected it from head tubing(pry loose with small screwdriver). Attached straight swivel from a Resmed swift mask. This swivel is slightly smaller than the corregated tube coming from the headpiece. I used a rubber o-ring around the swivel and then used the 2 blue zip strips to tighten it over the attachment. CPAP.com also sells a universal straight swivel adaptor which may also work. I used 6" of corregated tubing to extend it up over the top of the head so the end of the cpap hose was not right on my head. This tubing is avail at medical supply stores which sell home respiratory equipment. This piece then connected to the cpap grey hose via a universal straight connector. This extra piece of tubing was then attached very loosely with a rubber band to the velcro piece at the top of the headpiece. (See picture above and below) Whole unit now moves and swivels freely and is still supported loosely at the top so no pulling from the hose felt down at the nose.

4) I have to use pretty high pressures with my APAP. I avg 16-17cm. Still having leak problems even with mask adjusted all the way in as tight as the interface adjustment would allow. Needed just slight more pressure against my face to keep the seal......Fixed with 1/4" black no slip headband found at Walgreens. I wove the head band through the hole at the top of the interface and around the very top of the plastic plate and then back on itself (creates a self locking attachment), then I pulled the remainder of the band down on either side of the vertical tubing and attached it at the rt angle elbow. This band creates a slightly bigger curve in the whole interface, pulling the mask to my face. The best part is the fix did not involve adding yet another vice like band around my poor head. (See pictures #4,5 and 6)

5) Hose dragging and catching on top of bed shelf or top of matress......Using idea from tread here on hose hangers, I built my own PVC hanger to hang the hose on and attached to the arm with a soft hair scrunci. Whole thing cost me just $3.29! Coming down from above my head, there is no pulling at all. I never even feel it now when I turn and don't have to even touch the hose at all....Result = No waking up while turning to manage the hose. (You can find pictures under Rested Gals links to hose hangers/management)

I hope some of you find these tips helpful.....I now feel like the true lab rat that I am is truely emerging. My next experiment will be on that pesky Comfort Curve. It too will be mastered! LOL

Carol

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:05 pm

LOL!! Carol, I've gotta say... that toilet flapper air diverter takes lab-ratting to a hithertofore unseen level since the days of CareS's panty liner thins fix for the Comfort Curve mask!

You definitely earned this! Very creative work, gal!

-SWS

Post by -SWS » Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:18 pm

Excellent work, Carol! If I try that CL2 mod of yours I just may decide to add this:

I'd want a chrome handle to jiggle... if that toilet flapper gets stuck.

linda b

Post by linda b » Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:34 pm

Those are FANTASTIC fixes!! I don't mind the cool air blowing on my arms, but I might try your idea for snugging the cushion against the face. Thanks so much for sharing your fixes. I noticed you have your straps connected to the front two slots. I've been using the front and back. Is there a specific reason why you have chosen the two front ones?
Linda B.

oldgearhead

Post by oldgearhead » Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:41 am

Great job! I'm going to try the "headband" tonight. It may
allow me to quit using my "chinstrap/face band.

People have more fun than anybody..

flygal6

Post by flygal6 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:34 pm

Linda B....I tried the top and bottom slots on the headplate and I was getting too much slippage of the whole headgear, tried 2-3 nights and went back to this configuration. Just seems to work better and stay on my head better. Hope it works for you!

Carol

flygal6

Post by flygal6 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:43 pm

Thanks all for your words of praise.....this all is still new to me only 4 months now, but very absorbed in it as it has made me a new woman. I am a true success story. I love to share my ideas and don't believe in reinventing the wheel twice. My only question now is why we all are spending well over $100 per mask and still having to reinvent them....leaves me scratching my head. I think some of us should look for work at resmed and respironics.
May your sleep come easy and you wake up refreshed!
Carol

Post by Guest » Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:51 pm

Bump for all you CL2 users

jcarn

Post by jcarn » Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:37 pm

Anonymous wrote:Bump for all you CL2 users
killer mods!

I was just about ready to start a "trade my CL2 for a Twilight" thread, then I see this. I'll have to try it out.

Thanks!

Kiralynx

Re: New CL2 Modifications

Post by Kiralynx » Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:43 pm

bump

Beastie, 2008-10-28. NEW Beastie, PRS1 960, 2014-05-14. NEWER Beastie, Dream Station ASV, 2017-10-17. PadaCheek Hosecover. Homemade Brandy Keg Chin Support. TapPap Mask.
Min PS = 4, Max PS = 8
Epap Range = 6 - 7.5

mindy

Re: New CL2 Modifications

Post by mindy » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:18 am

Terrific ideas - I'm going to bookmark this page so I can try some of them!

Mindy

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
--- Author unknown