So this is what a good fit feels like

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
kteague

So this is what a good fit feels like

Post by kteague » Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:43 am

I've been at this for about a year and a half, and although I have been able to sleep some with the different masks I've tried, I didn't know to expect a greater level of comfort. All I knew was everything aggravated the dickens out of me, but I blamed much of it on my hypersensitivity and agitation due to PLMD and RLS. Couldn't tolerate the Swift side straps nor the pressure of the barrel under my nose, though it gave me a good seal. Liked the Breeze nosepiece but hated the headgear. Loved the CL2 headgear with the added Padacheek but by the time I got the pillows angled good the metal band pressed on my upper lip. No matter what, I am restless and wake up every little while adjusting something or the other.

Well, I've been off my apap the last 3 weeks due to a 24 hour cough with pneumonia (been sleeping sitting up). Two nights ago I was ready to go back on treatment, and got the wild notion to attach my Breeze nosegear to my CL2 headgear. I added a stretchy sweatband around the front for stabilization. I am still waking up every hour or so, but I'm telling you, during those 1 hour stretches, it is comparable to being anesthesized. I haven't slept this deep in ...let's see... since the early 1980s. WOW!

I thought that masks would forever just be something to be tolerated. As corny as this sounds, I feel I am one with my mask. Just wanted to share this for anyone who thinks that a comfortable mask is an unreasonable expectation. I feel like the luckiest girl in the world. So this is what some of you all have been talking about!

Kathy

rested gal

Re: So this is what a good fit feels like

Post by rested gal » Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:13 am

kteague wrote:So this is what some of you all have been talking about!

Kathy
Kathy! I'm so happy you've gotten a mask tweaked to the sleeping point! Yes, you're exactly right -- that's what those of us who've been lucky enough to get a mask fixed "just right" have been talking about. LOL!

When you think about it, our faces are extremely sensitive. Each person's threshold for being bothered by something touching the face would be different. A tiny wisp of air, the softest brush of a feather, the lightest touch of a finger... try it right now... touching your cheek as lightly as you can with your fingers.

Then think about all that "stuff" we're expected to wear against our faces and sleep. The wonder is not that the cpap dropout rate is as high as it is. The wonder is that it's not higher!!

Again and again, it needs to be said...it's the MASK, not the machine, that's the most important piece of the puzzle for most people to get truly restful sleep.

People who have a DME who lets them try mask after mask, and who offers them a really good selection to choose from, are lucky. The people who find their way to this message board where they can read about ways to tweak masks, making them more comfortable, are even luckier!

Thanks for posting what is working for you now, Kathy. There's no telling how many people your words may help! Either with that fix, or to just encourage them to keep thinking about ways to make another mask work better for them.

Congrats, Kathy, for being a...... yep......

ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

apneaicinisrael

Post by apneaicinisrael » Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:39 am

GOOD FOR YOU!!!!!!!!
And congratulations on being the recipient of an RG Lab Rat Award!
Tell more, please, about how you fit the Breeze nosepieces to the CL2. I like the idea...
AII

bdp522

Post by bdp522 » Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:55 am

Great work, Kathy! If you can, pictures would help. I for one have to see most of these fixes to be able to figure out what to do.
One great hour of sleep leads to 2 great hours, then 3 great hours, then 4....

Brenda

ufo13

Post by ufo13 » Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:47 am

Kathy:

Happy the fix is working so well for you! You are one of the nicest members on this forum, and I am glad you are doing well!

All the best,

Steve.
ufo13

Offerocker

Post by Offerocker » Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:10 am

ufo13 wrote:Kathy:

Happy the fix is working so well for you! You are one of the nicest members on this forum, and I am glad you are doing well!
Kathy, DITTO THAT, and eveything that Rested Gal said!

I am soo happy for you YEA!
...but keep your 'greased pig' signature - it's so cute.
I would also like to know your 'lab rat' results.

What a great Valentine Day present, eh? Success!

Best regards,
Kathleen

Respironics Auto C-Flex, HC-150, Activa, CL2 Simple Cushion, ComfortSleeve, Saline Snorter.

kteague

Pictures of mask

Post by kteague » Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:42 pm

Thank you for your kind comments. When I came here, I followed the lead and tone that was already in place. I was in an utterly desperate state and it was the kindness, patience, and assistance of many here that gave me hope I could with persistance turn this thing around.

Keep in mind I am an accidental lab rat, so this is quite rigged. First I took the whole back and top metal piece off the Breeze then used velcro bands and straps to secure the nosepiece with blue plastic support & hose to the front of the CL2 headgear. I needed an adapter where the hoses connect because it was not snug, but for now, scotch tape will have to do.

The CL2 headgear stays in place well for me with the Padacheeks to help it fit snug against my forehead. It still helps to use something stretchy across the front to stabilize the pillows up against my nose (sweatband, pantyhose tights, whatever works).

By the way, I doubt it's a coincidence that what feels like a good fit has translated into my pressure hovering around 10 instead of over 12, and my AHI has been between 0.3 and 2.4 for 3 mornings now.

First attempt at photos - from the preview it appears they are not showing up in the body of this message, so I hope those interested can get to them thru the link.

Linda3032

Post by Linda3032 » Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:53 pm

Here ya go:

Elle

Post by Elle » Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:05 pm

I came to the forum this morning to rave about how well i have slept the last few days. I'v been struggling periodically since sept with nose sores or leaks (mirage activa) but this week thanks to tips about chapstick from here my breeze mask has been heaven.

My sister cannot believe what a big deal it is when I tell her about it but people here 'get' our excitement. i was so happy to read your post and now that I see these pictures I am even more excited. Although the gear on my breeze hasn't bothered me (focused on nares sore) these photos show a set up that looks ideal. Hopefully the manufacturers are taking note. thank you so much cpap.com and all of you helpful, respectful and fun buddies.

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:22 pm

Linda, thanks for helping Kathy get the pictures showing. Nice pics of what you did, Kathy!!

For another view of that kind of fix, here's a picture of puffing billy's modification (front of a Breeze attached to CL2 headgear) that earned him a Lab Rat Trophy, too:

viewtopic.php?t=11826

Good work, Billy and Kathy! Gives people plenty of ideas how to go about modifying masks.
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

Gerald

Post by Gerald » Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:59 pm

What a nice group of people!

Kathy....Rested Gal....Linda....Thanks for your efforts.

I've been getting along nicely with my CL-2.....AHI approx average 0.6.....but, I've been curious about breeding a CL-2 and a Breeze to see what kind of new critter I'd get.

Now I've just got to try it!

Gerald

telly

Post by telly » Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:55 pm

Yay KT! Hope you can work up to a full night's sleep!

Who Loves Ya Baby?
telly

birdshell

Post by birdshell » Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:38 pm

Way to adapt, Kathy!! You have been through the mill, and it is about TIME that you finally found a way to keep a mask on the face. You truly need the sleep and the treatment. This is just plain out wonderful news for you.

More and more, I think that if we are not able to bear something, it may be because something is wrong. Here is an analogy: I have a fairly high tolerance for pain, and if I am crabby, then the chances are that I am in pain. I just can't identify the pain. Two regular Tylenol tablets often puts me into a much better frame of mind.

I am also thinking of the people who say, "Did that dog barking wake you up?" I was sleeping; all I know is that I awakened! How do I know what caused the awakening? It seems the same can be true with xPAP treatment. We may be awakened by an ill-fitting mask, or an uncomfortable feature of our flow generator. How are we to know what caused the awakening?

So, maybe we should all think of a deeper reason for the events or feelings that we have about our treatment. This has been proven by our latest "Lab Rat" with this mask adaptation AND with her previous finding that she was always ramping up to treatment, never getting any of her titrated pressure.

Kathy, thank you for sharing. You will help any number of people with this discovery. I cannot wait to try this new "hybrid" treatment. There is a reason that I purchased a Breeze! I like my CL 2, but who knows what improvement lurks just around the corner when they are combined?

Sleep well, Kathy. You certainly deserve it. It has been a long and torturous trip, hasn't it? And, you have now helped to guarantee that others may have a much smoother journey through the jungle of xPAP treatment.

Sleep, sleep, sleep!
Karen

CPAPopedia Keywords Contained In This Post (Click For Definition): news, Awakening

CPAPopedia Keywords Contained In This Post (Click For Definition): news, Awakening

Be kinder than necessary; everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Click => Free Mammograms

Linda3032

Post by Linda3032 » Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:43 pm

I think the new name of this creature should be the Breeze 2.

I must say that I've tried many other headgear on my de-capitated Aura - but nothing holds or is more comfortable than the Two Stretchy Straps. RG is the ultimate Lab Rat in my book. Thanks again, RG.

apneaicinisrael

Post by apneaicinisrael » Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:04 am

THANKS for the idea!!!!! I'm goin' to play with my mask now! (I love the pattern on your padacheek for CL2!)

AII