pro and cons of top three apap with software

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
wrassleswithhose

pro and cons of top three apap with software

Post by wrassleswithhose » Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:14 pm

I do have some more questions i would like to ask. I have decided that an APAP or auto machine would serve me well. I was in a sleep study two years ago with confirmed my titrated pressure of 11 was the same as the six years previews. my weight has been up and down and there are other unknown factors which lead ME to belive my optimum pressure varies up or down. I suspect there are even certain foods that trigger a need for more or rather a worse than normal OSA. So my question with an APAP would be 1. which software seems to be the best as in more thorough and easy to use , and is any addtinal software needed on a pc to make use of it.
2....difference between the remstar-auto-with C-flex... and the remstar M series
3.S8 vantage and its software , somewere I read it is not being sold any more??
. I am thinking the resmed and the respironics machine are comparable but I am concerned about the software differences also. My DME I brelieve has only offered resmed products but I have no aversion to buying on line as it would be cheaper and the supplier is probable better informed as well. As of now I am leaning toward a Respironics PRO2 M but woul like to haer pro and cons on the software end of it between the top 3 ...resmed...resprionics ...and.. 420 E puriton bennet {silverlining software) thank you. ..wrassleswith hose...Don

CollegeGirl

Post by CollegeGirl » Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:30 pm

Hi Don.

First of all, you should be aware that there's no "Pro2" in the M Series, only the "Pro." The "Pro2" is a machine in the series before the M Series. Neither of these machines is an auto, though both record full data.

In my (admittedly biased, since I use it myself ) opinion I think that the RemStar Auto (pre-M Series; we call it the "tank" around here) is superior to any ResMed Auto, but only because I value exhale relief (Respironics calls it C-Flex, while ResMed calls it EPR). The ResMed auto DOES offer EPR, HOWEVER, it cannot be used when the machine is in Auto mode. Cflex can be used on the Respironics autos in both CPAP and Auto modes.

If you think you have no need for exhale relief, then I would say that both Respironics and ResMed are largely of the same caliber and quality. If you haven't tried any form of exhale relief yet, however, I highly suggest it. It not only makes exhaling much more comfortable, but it helps eliminate/prevent aerophagia (swallowing air) as well.

Now, when comparing the two Respironics Autos, I prefer the classic machine - just the plain old RemStar Auto, NOT the M-Series Auto - because there have been issues with the M-Series Autos. There were problems with leaking humidifiers on the M-Series, and there are also problems with gaps in their data collection. The tank is larger, yes, but the difference is size is minimal, and, personally, I'm going to stay with the machine that's proven to work.

Hope that helps.

CPAPopedia Keywords Contained In This Post (Click For Definition): respironics, resmed, C-FLEX, auto, aerophagia

Machine: M-Series Auto
Mask: Headrest
No humidifier
On the hose since 2005.

Linda3032

Post by Linda3032 » Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:48 pm

Ditto what College Girl wrote.

The Pro is not an auto.

I have and love the Remstar Auto with cflex (the Tank, the Classic), but the M series would probably be fine too.

In addition to Encore Pro (the Respironics software), this forum has two free additional programs you can download which further analize and chart the info. Both of those programs use the data that is first downloaded onto Encore Pro.

But if you don't want to purchase the software, then Resmed Vantage S8or Elite would be the way to go. Both of those machines provide on screen data which shows pressure, apneas, etc. The Remstar M might do that also - I don't remember.

I know, lots of food for thought here. Good Luck.

ejdischer

Post by ejdischer » Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:55 pm

First of all, I think it's great that your name is pronounced "Wrestles with Ho's." Obviously we all know what it means, but it's still hilarious in a 12 year old type of way.

Anyway, I love my M-Series. I've never had an issue with the humidifier, although I have read the complaints. As far as size, while I've never used a Remstar Auto, I have seen both units with humidifier side by side and the M-Series is absolutely smaller. It also weighs about half as much.

As an example, when I travel for work, I fit my M-Series with the humidifier attached and power brick in the main compartment of the case. I then put the hose, Hybrid Mask, and a bottle or two of distilled in the front pouch. It's incredibly convenient.

If you don't travel, I think the differences are minimal. But if you do, like I do, being able to fit everything into one bag is key. Especially when you're flying. I spend a lot of time on the road for work. And I also travel to my parents' and in-laws' all the time. And when you already have luggage or a weekend bag, it's nice to have the APAP and gear in one bag.

EJD

Linda3032

Post by Linda3032 » Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:04 pm

ejdischer wrote: It also weighs about half as much. .

Come on now Mr. Dish, let's not exagerate. When the M series first came out, I remember someone comparing the weights and the M is just a tad lighter.

Dang, now I gotta go research. Paraphrasing a wonderful Beetlegeuse line, "Don't you just hate it when that happens." . ....

CollegeGirl

Post by CollegeGirl » Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:08 pm

For me, personally, ej, correct and consistent data is more important than travel size.

And I should say that I've travelled with my Classic Auto all over the world - it's gone with me to Portugal, Spain, and France. I never once had any problem at all carrying it around. And, you know. I'm a girl . So if I can do that, I think just about anyone could do the same.

Still, the classic Auto is only 1.7 pounds heavier and one to one and a half inches wider in all dimensions. That's really not much of a difference at all. And did I mention the classic model is also less expensive?

No humidifier
On the hose since 2005.

ejdischer

Post by ejdischer » Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:09 pm

I dunno. I look at the specs and the M Series is only 2.2lbs compared to 3.96 for the "tank." Not a huge deal, but when you have a carry-on, laptop, and a cpap machine, every pound makes a difference.

Also, if I'm only away for a weekend game, I can usually fit my entire cpap bag in my carry-on, which is uber convenient.

EJD

Linda3032

Post by Linda3032 » Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:09 pm

See Linda eat Crow. .........

GoofyUT

Differences between APAPs.

Post by GoofyUT » Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:11 pm

As I've been known to say so many times, I have learned from personal experience that the algorithms which govern the scoring of events and the delivery of treatment by adjusting pressures are SO different between the manufacturers that you owe it to yourself to insist on being given the opportunity to try as many different autos as you can manage in order to determine which works best for you. I own both a ResMed S8 AutoSet Vantage and a REMstar Auto (Tank edition) and I found a night and day difference in my response to them at equivalent settings. With one, I slept peacefully and throughout the night almost immediately, and with the other, I felt like sleeping all day long (after struggling with it for four miserable months). So insist on being given the opportunity to try them and see which works best for you, and take your business to whomever will give you that opportunity. Settle for nothing less if you are considering an auto (and make sure to discuss this with your sleep doc to make sure that you suffer from no conditions which would contra-indicate an auto-titrating PAP).

Regarding software, I've used both ResMed's AutoScan V5.7 as well as Respironics' EncorePro V1.577, as well as the extremely useful add-ons MyEncore and Encore Pro Analyzer, both of which work ONLY with EncorePro. I can say categorically that, in my opinion, Respironics' software (WITH the add-ons) is FAR more useful than ResMed's AutoScan is.

Hope this helps.

Chuck

People are dying every day in Darfur simply for who they are!!! PLEASE HELP THEM!
http://www.savedarfur.org

CollegeGirl

Post by CollegeGirl » Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:16 pm

Ah yes, Chuck - I was going to say that, too - thanks for saying it much more eloquently!

And I still don't agree with you, ej - I've never had any problems tucking my CPAP bag into an overhead compartment on even the smallest plane - and that's all that matters to me. I don't WANT to tuck it into my carryon, anyway, as I need all the room i can get in my carryon for other things, and the CPAP bag, out in the open, doesn't count as a carryon by itself, anyway.

Unless you're hiking the Sierra Nevada with your CPAP, I really don't see how a pound or two is going to make a difference. I've walked miles and miles with the classic and been just fine.

No humidifier
On the hose since 2005.

CollegeGirl

Post by CollegeGirl » Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:21 pm

Ej, even if size/weight is important to people, we are still left with the bottom line:

M-Series Pros
Lighter and Smaller

M-Series Cons
Known Humidifier Issues
Frequent Data Gap Problems
More Expensive

Classic Pros
No Humidifier Issues
No Data Gap Issues
Less Expensive

Classic Cons
Heavier and Bulkier

Ah, yup. Sticking to the classic.

No humidifier
On the hose since 2005.

GoofyUT

Huh?

Post by GoofyUT » Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:23 pm

Ceej-

WHY in G-d's name would you walk miles and miles with you CPAP? Huh? (That is, unless you travel through Houston Hobby often).

Chuck

BTW, the size difference between the Tank and the M is negligible. The tank actually occupies less realestate on your night stand than does the M. The Tank is stacked tandem with the humidifier, the M is side-by-side. And yess, the Tank IS proven. The M is the fad but a problematic one at that.Plus, the Tank's goin' away soon.

People are dying every day in Darfur simply for who they are!!! PLEASE HELP THEM!

Linda3032

Post by Linda3032 » Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:23 pm

You get a better fitness workout when you carry the Classic vs the M.

Ya, now we are getting silly.

So Chuck. Which machine do you use 90% of the time? (sorry, I didn't read your whole story).

CollegeGirl

Post by CollegeGirl » Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:28 pm

I thought that was the case, Chuck. Thanks for clarifying .

And when you're staying at a hostel that's across the city from the train station you arrived at, and you can't seem to flag down a taxi, that's when you end up walking miles and miles with your luggage.
No humidifier
On the hose since 2005.

GoofyUT

Machines

Post by GoofyUT » Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:31 pm

With all due respect Linda, I'm not going to say. I believe that one's response to a particular manufacturer's algorithm is SO individualized that my experiences are pertinent only to me, and I wouldn't want anyone to draw any conclusions aboutt he equipment for themselves from learning of MY experiences. That's why I urge so stridently for folks to try before they buy. The differences for me were simply night and day.

Chuck