Tinkering Again

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
OwlCreekObserver

Tinkering Again

Post by OwlCreekObserver » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:06 am

I recently bought a Respironics Comfort Classic mask and was pleased to find that it worked pretty well for me. However, there are no quick-disconnect clips on the harness, meaning that every time I put it on or took it off I had to readjust the Velcro strips. My experience with other harnesses was that Velcro has the same approximate life expectancy as that of a fruit fly and the cost for a replacement harness was...well, let's just say more than I wanted to spend.

My solution was to find some small plastic clips (3/4"), loop the harness through one end and then attach the other end to the mask. At the moment I'm just using strips of Velcro reinforced temporarily with a staple until I come up with a better and more permanent solution. Now I just snap the thing on when I'm ready for bed and it's ready to go. In the morning I just release one of the lower clips and slip the mask off.

UPDATE:

I should add that the main reason for adding the clips is that it makes removing the entire harness much easier when washing the mask. I just disconnect the whole thing, wash and dry the mask, and hook it all back up again. That way I never have to do Velcro adjustments.

Here are some photos:

OCO.

CPAPopedia Keywords Contained In This Post (Click For Definition): respironics, hose[/b]

Last edited by OwlCreekObserver on Sun Jun 17, 2007 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

muld00n

Post by muld00n » Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:29 pm

dededededededededededededededededededede

I'm doing the drumroll in anticipation that you will receive the highly respected and sought after "Lab Rat" award from the more respected members of our community!!!

mattman

Post by mattman » Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:49 pm

I'm curious why you even go to that trouble?

I find it easier just to slide the mask/headgear on and off without removing anything.

I just pull the whole deal on like a ski-mask. It actually never even occured to me to try and remove anything!!

Same goes for the Swift for me.

mattman
Machine: REMstar Pro 2 C-Flex CPAP Machine
Masks: 1) ComfortGel Mask with Headgear
2) ComfortSelect Mask with Headgear
3) Swift
Humidifier: REMstar Heated Humidifier

OwlCreekObserver

Post by OwlCreekObserver » Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:20 pm

mattman wrote:I'm curious why you even go to that trouble?

I find it easier just to slide the mask/headgear on and off without removing anything.

I just pull the whole deal on like a ski-mask. It actually never even occured to me to try and remove anything!!

Same goes for the Swift for me.

mattman
You're right and I misspoke on that one. Hey, if politicians can get away with saying that, I ought to be able to.

What I SHOULD have said was that every time I cleaned the thing I took off the harness. That's because I wash it in soapy water, and periodically soak it in a white vinegar solution. I had the Velcro straps get all fuzzy pretty quickly on my Comfortfull 2 and this one was already showing some symptoms in that direction.

What I don't understand is why Velcro on a jacket or a computer case will last forever, but Velcro on a piece of medical gear degrades fairly quickly. Planned obsolescence perhaps? Noooooo...I'm sure that's not the case.

OCO

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:41 pm

muld00n wrote:dededededededededededededededededededede

I'm doing the drumroll in anticipation that you will receive the highly respected and sought after "Lab Rat" award
You're right, muld00n! OCO has already got the big trophy on his shelf. So....he gets a plaque to hang on the wall for his most recent nifty idea.

OwlCreekObserver

Post by OwlCreekObserver » Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:48 am

rested gal wrote:
muld00n wrote:OCO has already got the big trophy on his shelf. So....he gets a plaque to hang on the wall for his most recent nifty idea.
Actually this is my very first award and I am very, very humbled. I'd like to thank my parents, my wife, my agent, my dog Spencer, and all the fans who supported me and made this prestigious award possible.

OCO

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:04 am

ooops, I was thinking of oldgearhead's nickname...he's won several. LOL!!

I already mix up machine "R" names and mask "C" names from time to time. But I hate to mixup "O" nicknames! My apologies, OCO! CPAP's good effects can't seem to stay ahead of my aging memory cells!

OwlCreekObserver, my compliments again on a good mod to the Comfort Classic. I'm grabbing the plaque back and giving you the big trophy you deserve! Aww heck, hang onto the plaque too. I'm sure you'll be doing additional cool lab-ratting.

ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

Larry

Post by Larry » Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:07 pm

Try the Tiara "H" Headgear with your Comfort Classic. The straps are wider than the OEM headgear and it comes with a clip. That should solve all of your problems and the mask will work better than ever. I have been using that combination for several years and have not worn out the headgear or the mask.

Snoredog

Post by Snoredog » Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:12 pm

I don't use those mask any longer but when I did:

I never disconnect the top straps, I only remove one bottom hook and put the mask on/off like a ball cap.

When I needed to clean the mask, I pushed the forehead pivot and removed the complete forehead piece from the main frame. Then I would agitate the mask in a sink of hot water and liquid soap. Put the forehead piece back on, I never remove the cushion from the main frame unless I'm replacing the cushion with new.

OwlCreekObserver

Post by OwlCreekObserver » Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:17 am

Larry wrote:Try the Tiara "H" Headgear with your Comfort Classic. The straps are wider than the OEM headgear and it comes with a clip. That should solve all of your problems and the mask will work better than ever. I have been using that combination for several years and have not worn out the headgear or the mask.
Larry, it looks like the Tiara harness has clips only on the bottom, but you would still have to undo the Velcro strips on the top to wash the mask, right? If that's true, then are you saying that the Tiara harness doesn't get all fuzzy after just a few "rips" for cleaning? Also, how are those bottom clips fastened to your Comfort Classic mask?

OCO

Larry

Post by Larry » Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:03 pm

I have been using my first Tiara headgear for about 3 years. I take the headgear off the mask about every 3-6 months to wash it with my laundry. I guess the velcro has gotten "fuzzy" but it still works fine. Other than that I don't take it off the mask. I use the single clip on the lower strap to take the mask off and on. I rub my finger on a bar of Ivory soap and wash the surface of my masks that contacts my face with my soapy finger after each use . I wipe the soap off with a damp wash cloth. That is about the only mask cleaning I do.