anyone have a nightmare to share about their sleep study?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
softail99fb

anyone have a nightmare to share about their sleep study?

Post by softail99fb » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:11 pm

Mine was in 2008, I think the end of September. I used to ride with the patriot guard riders and road that day. My sinuses were so pluged up from the cold ride i couldn't breath! I almost called of my test and probably should have.

I told the lady that gave the test the trouble i had breathing, she said nothing. After sleeping for half the night she came in and gave me a nasel mask, said i stopped breathing 60 times per hour. No way could i breath threw my nose so i tried to remove the mask, she bitched me not to do it again. i was still trying to remove it and she kept pulling my hands away! Every time i opened my mouth to try to breath or talk the air rushed out making me panic more! She basically forced me to keep using it even after she took it off so i could tell her i couldn't breath. After a few more times of me ripping it of she said, i suppose i can put a full faced mask on you. I said what, you put me through all this for the last hour and now you say tbere is a full mask? I filed a complaint the next day.

I've posted on here before in 2008 but forgot my user name. So i had to do a new profile. So this post is basically a new hello to all.

loggerhead12

Re: anyone have a nightmare to share about their sleep study?

Post by loggerhead12 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:31 pm

Mine was the exact opposite. I did it at Presby Dallas in the sleep institute. The rooms were every bit as nice as most hotels I've stayed at.

The head tech and her assistant spent 20 minutes telling me what was going to happen. We spent an hour trying on masks, then another hour measuring my ginormous head and attaching all 300 electrodes. After laying in bed watching the Rangers win in the ninth inning I told them I was ready to go to sleep. They told me to sleep on my back, which I never do, but apparently 8 minutes in I was gone. They woke me up again in an hour to switch masks, then I was out for the next five hours straight. They showed me study results for that period before I left - I didn't move the whole time. It was the best night of sleep I'd had in years.

The only down side to the study was how long it took to get scheduled, but apparently that's pretty normal. I've got nothing bad to say about the facility, the staff, or the results.

MrsRinPDX

Post by MrsRinPDX » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:17 pm

I really didn't have a nightmare experience. The room was cold but I anticipated that and brought warm jammies. I did find out, however, that I had turned allergic to medical tape adhesive recently. I had a perfect rash in the outline of the tape on my throat where the snoring microphone was placed. Took a week for it to go away.

Additional Comments: Pressures: IPAP 18/ EPAP 14; Secondary mask - Nuance Pro Nasal Pillow

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:28 pm

Not all medical tape uses the same adhesive.
Some even smells bad, indicating different chemistry.
You may be OK with the "good stuff".

MrsRinPDX

Post by MrsRinPDX » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:31 am

chunkyfrog wrote:Not all medical tape uses the same adhesive.
Some even smells bad, indicating different chemistry.
You may be OK with the "good stuff".
Thanks chunkyfrog. I will look into it.

Additional Comments: Pressures: IPAP 18/ EPAP 14; Secondary mask - Nuance Pro Nasal Pillow

ShiftWorker

Post by ShiftWorker » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:22 am

During one of the six studies I did last year, I was able to log 26 minutes of sleep. I was having extreme insomnia during this period and nothing would help me sleep, except of course when I became totally exhausted and passed out. During the rescheduled study I was hurting from arthritis in my left hip and not getting much sleep confabulated the issue, I told the Tech who strapped my mask on as tight as it could go, yes it was tight enough to hurt that my hip hurt and I thought the bed was too firm for it to be comfortable, he said and did nothing, well I didnt sleep at all that night. The rescheduled (again) study I told this Tech that my hip hurt, he adjusted the bed to my comfort. Why had the other Tech not done this?
So that was three for one.
Robert

Woody

Post by Woody » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:15 am

First the clinic was in a bad area of time compleat with a lot of wino's . Then at the check in
they started demanding a $320 copay up front. Well earlier I had talked to 3 diferent people
to vaildate my mediplus would pay and I wouldn't have a copay. Then the sleep teck. couldn't
seem to remember what wires went where and it took her about 20 min. to wire me up. Now
we come to my part in this bad experience. The previous 2 days I had been using the supliment
creatin mononitrate and it was causing me to have a few mussle cramps in my hand and one leg.
It didn't help the bed was a lot softer than I like. As a side note the teck said she had been doing
this 20 years, thought she might have sleap apnia too bu thad never had the test !

Well the results were messed up. I do fine with my Dreanstation auto set between 16 and 20 but
in th epast 7 months it has never gone over 18. But the report came back calling for me to use a
bipap set at 20 inhale 25 exhale. I think I ned a new Dr.

Additional Comments: SleapyHead software

seniorbiker

Post by seniorbiker » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:33 am

I actually had a very pleasant experience. Perhaps age had something to do with it. The technician was very kind and asked several times if I was comfortable.
I did wake up several times during the first couple hours and through the loud speaker, she asked if everything was ok. For some reason they did not fit me with a mask until my second night. I am not sure why.

MrsRinPDX

Post by MrsRinPDX » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:41 am

seniorbiker wrote:For some reason they did not fit me with a mask until my second night. I am not sure why.
My understanding is it depends upon how severe your AHI is. It may take more than a few hours for you to give definitive data and reach REM.

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:06 pm

My first sleep study was in 1996 or 97, and went very well until they put the nasal mask on me. That was the only mask they had available. I am a mouth breather when sleeping. I could not sleep with the mask, and ended up opting for surgery. My next sleep study was about three years ago. This was my study from hell. The tech I had spoke with an eastern European accent, and constantly called me "Dahling". I guarantee you, I am not her "Dahling." When she put a mask on me, she put it on too tight. I tried to tell he it was too tight, but she insisted it had to be that way. I did not sleep much with that mask on. The next morning, I had a deep, red crease on the bridge of my nose. When the doctor told me I needed to do a titration study, I told him I would not go back to that sleep clinic. He sent me to a much better clinic for the second study. However, since he had not documented a face to face meeting where we discussed sleep apnea, Medicare refused to issue a machine. I had to go through everything a second time, but I found a new doctor and sleep clinic this time around.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

TheDuke

Post by TheDuke » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:00 pm

Short answer, no nightmare experience.
I have been tested several times over a span of 30 years. Three times at nationally famous medical centers, and three times a local hospitals. I found them all to be polite , professional, and concerned for my health. I feel that my most competent overnight test was at a local hospital, but all were quite satisfactory.
I rested well, and never found the electrodes and related equipment to be particularly inconvenient.

TheDuke

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:18 pm

When they woke me up after the titration, I could not believe it was so early!
I felt like I had slept much longer.
The goop was a pain to clean out of my hair.
Uh, that's all I got.