Swift headgear modification for stability

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
svh

Swift headgear modification for stability

Post by svh » Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:48 am

So, I'd been having trouble with my Swift leaking, and the headgear seemed to be the problem. The lower strap was basically useless--often slipping up completely out of position. I've modified it so it actually does something, stays put, and my mask doesn't budge anymore, even though it's not too tight.

Currently it is held together with safety pins. Now that I've had one great night, no leaks above the expected ones for the mask, no waking me up to adjust, etc., AHI under 1.0, I will sew it along where the safety pins are now.

Changing the angle of that lower strap really made a huge difference for me! It now aims more downward, and comes from around my temples. Hope the photos are clear. I encourage anybody who is having trouble with their Swift leaking to test this--all you need is four safety pins to try it out!

[/img]Image
Image[/img]

--Sarah

greyhound

Post by greyhound » Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:14 am

Any chance of posting a profile picture to show how the adjusted headgear fits on your face?

svh

Post by svh » Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:41 am

OK, all vanity aside, I guess. Here I am, pre-shower, not looking my best. Hope this answers any questions....

[/img]Image
--Sarah

greyhound

Post by greyhound » Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:52 am

Thanks. I'll have to try it.

GoofyUT

Swift pillow swap

Post by GoofyUT » Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:07 am

BRAVA on your LabRatting innovation with the Swift!!

Others may want to search the board for a thread entitled "Tips for Swift Users" and view the brilliant solution authored by UFO13 (Steve) involving attaching strips of hook-side Velcro to the inside of the bottom strap to stabilize its tendency to ride up and break the seal. It has workerd wonderfully for me and MANY others!

Just a thought.

Chuck

People are dying every day in Darfur simply for who they are!!! PLEASE HELP THEM!
http://www.savedarfur.org

JP

Post by JP » Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:17 am

I'm definitely going to try that!

JP

Post by JP » Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:14 am

I tried it and it seemed to be pretty stable, but the problem is my darn head's too big! After the safety-pinning there's not quite enough of the straps left over to go through the buckle, not and have them stay without slipping out anyway.

ozij

Post by ozij » Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:23 am

Sarah's solution is also great for what annoyed my with the Swift - the headgear cut into the top of my ears.

O.

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:41 am

JP wrote:I tried it and it seemed to be pretty stable, but the problem is my darn head's too big! After the safety-pinning there's not quite enough of the straps left over to go through the buckle, not and have them stay without slipping out anyway.
That's because your head is not small enough

Seriously though ...

Sarah stated that she changed the angle of the lower strap. If you observe the way she folded the strap, she actually did not change the angle all that much but instead shifted it down about an inch and half so that it would wrap around the lower portion of the back of her skull … thus the strap “stays put”. Sarah seems to be a small person and therefore shifting the strap down improves the stability of the headgear for her … a very clever adjustment for her and other folks of similar size.

For other folks having stability problems, the Velcro fix (or pony tail may your hair be long enough) may be a better solution.

- r
President-pretender, J. Biden, said "the DNC has built the largest voter fraud organization in US history". Too bad they didn’t build the smartest voter fraud organization and got caught.

Rafe

Post by Rafe » Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:02 pm

I use the Swift, but I think my head is too big for this also.

Anyway, from the pictures, it looks like you might have marks on your cheeks in the morning. I know I used to, until today. Last night was my first trial with PadACheeks. They are GREAT! In fact, I loosened up all the straps and the pillow still stays sealed in my nares. Even on my side. And, no marks! The only concern I have is whether they will be confortable, from a coolness standpoint, in the summer. I may just have to run the A/C more.

Titration result: 12 cm H20; AHI-0.4; lowest SaO2=95%

svh

Post by svh » Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:06 pm

I have the pad-a-cheeks, and they are great--I'd taken them off to modify the headgear. I shotened them to accommodate the new arrangement, and wore them successfully last night. I continue to be pleased with my new arrangement.
--Sarah

snoregirl

Post by snoregirl » Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:08 pm

Interesting idea on lowering the lower strap connection.

The other thing I do is putting the lower strap UNDER my hair. Really helps keep it from slipping up.

dllfo

Post by dllfo » Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:34 pm

I downloaded both threads since my memory is gone. Thanks for all the great ideas...Tips for Swift Users and this one are a great help.

Last edited by dllfo on Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Installing Software is like pushing a rope uphill.
I have Encore Pro 1.8.65 but could not find it listed
under software.

I LOVE the SV.

greyhound

Post by greyhound » Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:53 pm

dllfo

Post by dllfo » Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:04 pm

RG and Greyhound, I knew we had several threads on the Swift, just didn't know how many.....thanks.

I don't think there is a rule for downloading threads...that way I can load them in my notebook and have them with me.

Thanks again....

Installing Software is like pushing a rope uphill.
I have Encore Pro 1.8.65 but could not find it listed
under software.

I LOVE the SV.