Hybrid Nasal Leaks

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
KingsX

Hybrid Nasal Leaks

Post by KingsX » Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:58 pm

Hi Everyone,

I am having a horrible time with nasal leaks with my hybrid mask. I have a big nose and use the large size nasal attachments. I have tried all different sizes and the only way I can seem to stop the nasal leaks is to adjust the straps to where they are so tight it hurts to have the mask on. I have done this several times and have woke up with my face hurting so bad that I had to take the mask off and resort to an older mask that only covers my nose. The problem with the older mask is it digs into the bridge of my nose and I tend to be a mouth breather.

I got the hybrid hoping it would be the "Perfect Mask" after reading many reviews of the mask, but so far it is only a Perfect Pain!!!. I have tried adjusting it many ways, Have watched the video endless times and I just don't have any luck. Once I have the mask on, If i hold the nasal attachments against my nose with my fingers it seals fine and doesn't leak. It would be much more efficient if there was a way to make the nasal attachments spring loaded so they stay tight against your nostrils without having to adjust the straps so tight it is painful. I thought about trying to put a spring on them or using dental floss to try and create a strap that would form a tighter seal, but I am afraid I will just ruin the nasal attachments.

If anyone has found a way to stop nasal leaks caused by the flimsy nose attachments please advise. Otherwise this mask will soon be in the junk drawer

Thanks,
Chuck

bdp522

Post by bdp522 » Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:05 pm

First be sure you have the pillows in the highest position. Then try adjusting just the over-the-head strap to keep them snug. I tied a length of dental floss from one of the top posts on the shell to the other top post. This holds the pillows closer together and closer to my face. It works for me. Hope it helps you too.

Brenda

Guest in CA

Post by Guest in CA » Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:45 pm

Try some form of padding on the straps, makes a big difference. I love my hybrid.

oldgearhead

Post by oldgearhead » Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:01 pm

If you want to trade it for a new medium/large pillow and Simple Seal
ComfortLite 2, PM me..

People have more fun than anybody..

Maryb

Post by Maryb » Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:04 pm

I use a rubber band stretched between the two top posts so that the rubber band rests up against the lower/middle parts of the pillows. This pushes the pillows in just enough so that they angle properly into my nares. This modification has made the pillows much more comfortable for me.

Maryb

Guest in CA

Post by Guest in CA » Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:43 pm

I'm too afraid the rubber band will break when I'm asleep to try that, Maryb. I used embroidery floss, instead.

Maryb

Post by Maryb » Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:47 pm

well I found some pretty sturdy rubber bands that are about 1/8 inch wide and just the right length to stretch between those two posts and still have some tension up against the pillows. I have been using the same one for 2 weeks with no problem.

Maryb

Datona

Post by Datona » Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:49 pm

did you cut them apart ?

Guest in CA

Post by Guest in CA » Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:11 pm

Datona, if you are talking about the nose-thingies (sorry for the technical talk), yes, I did cut them apart. Work much better that way.

Maryb

Post by Maryb » Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:23 pm

Daytona-
if you're talking about the rubber band...no I don't cut it apart.
However, I found it's easier to have the mask clip on first before scrunching the rubber band underneath the clip and onto the post. Otherwise, it's difficult to get the clip to lock over the rubberband.

Maryb

KingsX

Post by KingsX » Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:45 pm

Thanks everyone for responding.

I will try a rubber band and see if that helps. I have not cut the piece connecting the 2 nasal appendages. For those of you who have used a rubber band or thread, did you cut the piece so that the 2 appendages could move more freely or did you leave them together and just added the rubber band / thread to force them to flare further apart?

Also are you talking about connecting the rubber band from the top headgear post up and around the pillows? If so are you using 2 rubber bands and connecting one between one post and one pillow on each side? A picture of this would be killer

I am condering taping the dang things to my nose with paper tape if the rubber band doesn't do the trick.

Oldgearhead, I appreciate it but I need a Full Face Mask.

I LOVE the mouth piece and how it seals perfectly and never leaks no matter how I move. The nasal part is driving me nutty.

Thanks again for the advice,
Chuck

bdp522

Post by bdp522 » Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:01 pm

I cut the pillows apart. The dental floss holds the pillows [/i]closer to each other and closer to my face. Some one posted about a cream that nursing mothers use, It is supposed to help the nares toughen up and helps the pillows 'stick' to your nares. I'm sure someone will be by in a bit to give you the name.

Brenda

inacpapfog

Post by inacpapfog » Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:02 pm

Chuck,
Just wanted to let you know that several people have had that same problem with the "flimsy" nare pillows. I follow the dental floss method and....voila....no more leaks!!! I think that, really, you can use any type of string/ band as long as you get the right tension between the posts. I have my floss tied so that it simply forms a barrier to prevent the pillows from shifting forward, should my sleep position dislodge the fit in any way! Works great for me!
Good Luck!!!

bdp522

Post by bdp522 » Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:05 pm

The name of the cream is LANSINOH. I have never used it but have heard about it here.

Brenda

Maryb

Post by Maryb » Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:37 pm

KingsX wrote:
I will try a rubber band and see if that helps. I have not cut the piece connecting the 2 nasal appendages. For those of you who have used a rubber band or thread, did you cut the piece so that the 2 appendages could move more freely or did you leave them together and just added the rubber band / thread to force them to flare further apart?

Also are you talking about connecting the rubber band from the top headgear post up and around the pillows? If so are you using 2 rubber bands and connecting one between one post and one pillow on each side? A picture of this would be killer
Chuck
KingsX-
I cut the two pillows apart. The rubber band snugs them up to my nares. I use only one rubber band and connect it from one post to the other post and then pull the two parts of the rubber band up and over the shell and against the nasal pillows. I could take a picture of it but wouldn't know how to post it. Sorry. technically challenged.

Maryb