New mask

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
NyNurse33

New mask

Post by NyNurse33 » Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:46 am

Well I got the comfortlite2. I seemed to like it in the office. He also threw in another freebie, not sure what it it. I now have 5 masks and only like 2 of them. LOL. Well I liked the freedom from the cl2, but awoke several times last night, playing with the simple cushion. Trying to get a good seal. I think I opened my mouth a few times last night too. But I will keep trying, I like that I can turn on my side and not be worried about it leaking. Anyone else wake up in the middle of the night and feel semi-awake, not fully aware of things? I never had this happen before cpap. It's like being in a dream state. Well wish me luck!

~Melissa~

The best bridge between despair and hope is a good night's sleep. ~E. Joseph Cossman

puffing billy

Post by puffing billy » Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:27 am

If you sleep on your side you could always try the Breeze nasal piillows.
I am a side sleeper and I think they Breeze is great as it so adjustable.

Billy

linda b

Post by linda b » Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:46 pm

Melissa,

I can't imagine using anything other than the CL2 with simple cushion. It does need to be stabilized it a little bit, though. I started out using Rested Gal's pantyhose fix. Then I made what I call a half strap. I took a piece of 1/2" wide standard elastic about 16 " long and covered it with soft fleece. Then I sewed the "grab" side of velcro onto each end. Then I took a piece of sticky back velcro and stuck it onto the rigid tube as far down as possible, but above where the simple cushion is attached. The matching piece of velcro goes on the fleece/elastic strap at the mid point. Stick these two together. Then, for me, each end sticks onto the headgear just below the V formed by the two straps, just above my ears. This strap can certainly be easily adjusted to get the right tension needed to keep the cushion from leaking.

Another helpful tweak I picked up on this forum is to put some grab side velcro on the back part of the headgear that goes just above the neck. If you pull your hair out from under the headgear, this velcro will sort of grab the hair at the neckline and is a great help in keeping the whole thing from riding up the back of your head. I know it sounds like it would pull your hair, but I haven't had any problem with that.

With these fixes, after about 10 minutes, I seem to forget I've even got the mask on because it is so comfortable. I never could get used to the nasal pillows, so I'm really glad this works so well for me. I hope it will work for you, too.

If you have trouble with mouth breathing, I'll be happy to tell you all about Poligrip Strips.

Linda B.

oldgearhead

Post by oldgearhead » Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:01 pm

Another CL2/Simple Cushion strap idea:

1) Buy one of those chin-straps with the hole in it for your chin.
2) Place the tube through the hole in the chin strap.
3) Install the Simple Cushion fitting on the tube.
4) After you get the Simple Cushion in position, just tie the chin-strap behind you head.

I have found this type of chin-strap to be very good for all kinds of uses.
However, it will not hold your mouth shut...

People have more fun than anybody..

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:09 pm

oldgearhead wrote:I have found this type of chin-strap to be very good for all kinds of uses.
However, it will not hold your mouth shut...
I realized the many potential uses of this particular chin-strap after reading one of your previous posts Oldgearhead.

I have that one on order along with the Premium chin-starp and a Breeze interface. I have little to no mouth leakages but felt these straps had other uses too.

Thanks for the tip.

- roberto

President-pretender, J. Biden, said "the DNC has built the largest voter fraud organization in US history". Too bad they didn’t build the smartest voter fraud organization and got caught.

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:37 pm

linda b wrote:I made what I call a half strap. I took a piece of 1/2" wide standard elastic about 16 " long and covered it with soft fleece. Then I sewed the "grab" side of velcro onto each end. Then I took a piece of sticky back velcro and stuck it onto the rigid tube as far down as possible, but above where the simple cushion is attached. The matching piece of velcro goes on the fleece/elastic strap at the mid point. Stick these two together. Then, for me, each end sticks onto the headgear just below the V formed by the two straps, just above my ears. This strap can certainly be easily adjusted to get the right tension needed to keep the cushion from leaking.
Very, very good idea, Linda! You've earned this.......

You earned one too, oldgearhead, with this:
oldgearhead wrote:1) Buy one of those chin-straps with the hole in it for your chin.
2) Place the tube through the hole in the chin strap.
3) Install the Simple Cushion fitting on the tube.
4) After you get the Simple Cushion in position, just tie the chin-strap behind you head.
WTG, both of you!
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

linda b

Post by linda b » Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:43 pm

Thank you, Rested Gal. I am truly honored. Now I really feel like I've crossed the hurdle into the "Hosehead Club" with full voting rights!! And it seems like just yesterday that you were answering all my newbie questions.

Really, thanks for the trophy.

Linda B.

NyNurse33

Post by NyNurse33 » Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:06 pm

Some great tips! Last night (my 2nd night with cl2) I wore my hair in a pony tail and that helped keep the head gear on better than the night before. The RT was honest and said the ony problem he has heard people say they've had with the cl2 is if they have fine air, the head gear rides up. Well my hair is very thick, but I think last night it was super clean with conditioner and it just made for a slick enough surface to create trouble. I like the elastic with fleece and velcro idea. I will try that soon, I think. Thanks again.

~Melissa~

The best bridge between despair and hope is a good night's sleep. ~E. Joseph Cossman

sleepless_in_ny

Post by sleepless_in_ny » Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:15 pm

NYNurse33

I am curious who your insurance carrier is. Most of them follow Medicare standards and don't allow for a new mask more than every 3 months. You must have some wonderful insurance if you have 5 masks.
PM me if you don't want to post the info to the forum.
Thanks
Sleepless_in_ny

birdshell

Fixes

Post by birdshell » Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:20 pm

Melissa, the ponytail was my answer, too. However, I couldn't cut my hair. After realizing that the CL 2 headgear was ALL velcroable material, I made the 2 sided velcro by sticking the hook side of the sticky velcro to itself. This then can stick to the inside of the headgear anywhere. (This was a Swift fix, but the poster suggested stapling the sticky velcro on first to see if it worked. I couldn't find my stapler, so...VIOLA!)

I now have my long-awaited short haircut!

Another tip I have found is to disconnect one side of the CL 2 headplate straps when adorning my head with it. When reconnected, it just seems to give a better fit. Sometimes it just seems to be too much trouble to open it up, but the headgear and the direct seal never seem to be as comfortable.

One more: The direct seal seemed to be making my nostrils itch. It seemed as if the edge was looser or not trimmed enough, causing fluttering which in turn caused the itching. So, I ever-so-carefully trimmed the edge of the direct seal just a tiny bit--maybe a sixteenth of an inch. It has solved that problem.

NyNurse33

Post by NyNurse33 » Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:48 am

Sleepless in NY-lets just say I have received 3 masks as gifts from one healthcare worker to another. The first one which I should of never received (flexifit406) was way too small is the one I got billed for. I may fight that, b/c it never should of been given to me b/c it was too small. Then last week, my insurance told me that they can't see where my policy states a limit on masks (didn't quite trust this info), but I checked with my DMEs and they told me that as long as I got a script from my MD for a mask refit, my insurance will cover it (80/20). Thats when I obtained the cl2.

Last night was my 3rd night with cl2. I went to bed @ 10 pm (very early for me...very tired). I saw the clock @ 1:30 am, 2:30 am and again @ 4:30 am. I kept waking up b/c the seal to the simple cushion kept breaking. Finally @ 4:30 am, I got up and changed it to the pillow and got a great seal and slept for 4 1/2 hrs more with no more waking up. A little sore with the pillows, I had the same trouble with the swift, I just may have to adjust to the pillows in order for this to work, b/c the cushion may not work for me and I love the cl2 too much to give up entirely. I guess I love the headgear and my flexibility to turn to my side. Plus, I can't keep getting new masks. So I put some ayr saline nasal gel in my nostrils when I woke up and will tonight a little bit before bed. I also turned up my humidity more than with just a mask. I feel pretty refreshed this am, will see how I feel later.

~Melissa~

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:47 am

NyNurse33 wrote:I kept waking up b/c the seal to the simple cushion kept breaking.

<snipped>

the cushion may not work for me and I love the cl2 too much to give up entirely. I guess I love the headgear and my flexibility to turn to my side.
Hi Melissa,

I chose the same two nasal options for the ComfortLite 2 that you chose... nasal pillows and simple cushion.

I had the same problem you had with the simple cushion...as the night went on, it wouldn't hold a seal "as is".

I solved that by placing a soft, stretchy homemade strap (leg cut off a pair of pantyhose tights) across the front of the simple cushion, tying it behind my head.

When I tie it behind my head, I route the homemade strap somewhat upward so that the tie is more or less on the top of the back of my head.

Use a "double start knot" to tie it. That kind of knot lays flat, stays tied, yet is easy to take off in the morning. It's easy to adjust the tension without having to take the whole strap loose to start over.

http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/doublestartknot.htm

You don't have to wear a homemade strap tight at all. Think about how you can stop a leak just by pressing ever so lightly against the front of a mask with your fingers. That's what you can achieve with a homemade strap across the front.

It's really amazing how that little bit of extra support right across the front can help ANY mask hold a seal better or keep ANY headgear steadier. I use the homemade strap with almost every mask I wear.

I guess you've already started rigging a way to hang the main air hose overhead. Keeps the air hose out of your way for easy turning over. Prevents the weight of the air hose from tugging at any mask.
LINKS to Hose hangers and methods of managing the air hose

Sounds like you're getting the pieces of the puzzle in place really well, Melissa. Hope it keeps going better and better for you!
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:02 am

A drawing showing the way I usually route the homemade strap. That picture is of my favorite mask...Aeiomed's "Headrest" (the "Aura.") But that's also the way I use the homemade strap across the simple cushion and the nasal pillows of the ComfortLite 2 -- my second favorite mask.
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

NyNurse33

Post by NyNurse33 » Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:26 pm

Thanks rested gal. This is one of those times I wish I wore panty hose regularly. HA! I will find something similiar, I also like the fleece and velcro thing too. Last night I came up with this really funny idea for my hose (temporary). My bedroom is not big and my side of the bed is near the door. I put this big S hook on this chinese tote bag that was hanging on the door handle and thread my hose through the biggest part of the S hook. Hey, it worked. I think I'm going to to look into the 3M cord organizer.

~Melissa~

NyNurse33

Post by NyNurse33 » Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:41 pm

This is also a good idea to keep the hose from pulling. You can probably make this from home.

http://cgi.ebay.com/CPAP-BIPAP-HOSE-CLI ... dZViewItem

~Melissa~