Been a Long While. ResMed Question

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Severeena

Been a Long While. ResMed Question

Post by Severeena » Tue Jul 04, 2006 12:45 pm

My hubby and I are both on the ResMed Lightweight and the Auto Spirit.

I have been having a hard time breathing at night and this last time the O2 overnight saturation test came back negative. I for one, when having a normal to negative response means I am in trouble.

Tom at different times has placed me on his machine and two nights ago he put me on a portable O2 tank. when the tank ran out, I woke up gasping for air and through my mask off.

I called the doctor's office and my doctor is out until Monday, but the doctor standing in for him left word for me to be put on the machine also.

Now I am wondering if they make a battery system for the ResMeds in case the lights go out.

Not all Masks work for everyone. Each Person is Different.

Post by Guest » Tue Jul 04, 2006 2:29 pm

don't know what to tell you on your oxygen issue, I think your case is too complex to discuss here. I also don't know what your pressure requirement is or anything like that, but 10cm cpap usually restores normal oxygen levels but if your lung capacity is impaired then that may not be the case.

As for battery backup, your Spirit WITH humidifier consumes up to 43VA (VoltAmps) according to the Resmed 2i User manual.

You NEED a pure sine-wave UPS to run your machine without damaging the humidifier or the UPS inverter.

Based upon that, I would recommend the APC (American Power Conversion) SUA2000 UPS. It is about the size of a tower computer, but is self-contained.

With a 70VA load (Resmed Spirit with 2i humidifier draws 43VA at Full pressure of 20cm, less if your pressure is lower).

The SUA2000, it will power a 70VA load for up to 8hrs and 51 minutes according to APC's Runtime chart. You could probably run both your machine and your husband's off the same UPS at the same time for nearly as long (there are plenty of outlets). With this UPS, you would plug it into the wall outlet, plug your CPAPS into the back of the UPS and forget about it. When the power comes back on it will recharge the batteries. It would also condition the incoming power to your home and protect your cpap equipment from spikes and power surges.

http://www.apc.com/resource/include/tec ... ku=SUA2200

Estimated cost is $839. Not cheap but it is what you would need. APC's are pretty good and service & support is also good.

Here is APC's runtime chart:
http://www.apc.com/products/runtime_for ... untime.cfm

Severeena

Post by Severeena » Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:38 pm

This would only run one machine. Since we have two then we would need two at that peice, to costly.

Not all Masks work for everyone. Each Person is Different.

Post by Guest » Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:01 pm

2 people on CPAP W/ O2 ... sounds like a back up generator that isolates itself from the electric grid and kicks in when power flickers automatically would be a worthy investment.

Just purchased a 5500 W gas generator on about day 3 of a 6 day outage in OK in January.

Also, contact local power company to let them know you use o2. They have a program to address power outages at a higher priority level for people with medical equipment frequently.

Good Luck!

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:07 am

Yes, Consumers Energy here in Michigan also has a reduced rate for those using life support equipment. They do require a letter of verification from your doctor that you are on an 02 concentrator. I don't know if Consumers Energy includes xPAP in their definition of "life support equipment" or not. My understanding is that some power companies do and that some don't. You need to call your power company to find out any details of their particular policy.

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.