marine battery??

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
pharmwoman

marine battery??

Post by pharmwoman » Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:18 pm

is it true that there is A marine battery that can power a cpap?? Thanks:)

roster

Post by roster » Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:42 pm

Have a look at this active post: viewtopic.php?p=88596#88596

Goofproof

Re: marine battery??

Post by Goofproof » Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:58 pm

[quote="pharmwoman"]is it true that there is A marine battery that can power a cpap?? Thanks:)

Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

roster

Re: marine battery??

Post by roster » Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:22 pm

goofproof said: "Also a lead acid battery needs to be in a vented area, not good to breath, not even nice to be around. You can get plastic carriers to house them in, in Campers( Higer Grade ones) they are housed in battery boxes and vented out side. You also need a charger to keep the charge topped off (UP) " _________________

rooster asks:
I understand that lead acid batteries need to be vented when they are being charged because they give off hydrogen gas. What about when they are in use but not being charged?

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:02 pm

When they are being used they still gas, the gas changes to the other electrode. What is the worst is when they heat up from aggressive use or charging, the gassing causes bubbles of sulfuric acid to be released into the air. That's where the smell comes from. Jim

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

BATPOO

Post by BATPOO » Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:49 am

I have quite a bit of experience with lead-acid batteries in enclosed spaces through my work with undersea vehicles. Lead-acid batteries do not produce sulfuric acid vapors unless they are severely overcharged at a rate that is sufficient to boil the electrolyte.

Lead-Acid batteries are not a hazard to be around when you are using (discharging) them. Conventional wet batteries, sealed lead-acid batteries and Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) batteries do not produce harmful vapors during discharge.

Any of these 3 battery types can vent hydrogen while they are being charged and should therefore be kept in a ventilated area during charging to avoid the possibility of explosion.

BATPOO

roster

Post by roster » Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:56 am

Here is a good source of information on batteries:

http://www.windsun.com/Batteries/Batter ... lectrolyte.

Have a look at the AGM batteries description.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:16 pm

It is not a good ldea to stick anything that comes out of any battery, in you nose. All, but sealed batteries which we weren't talking about, vent gasses both ways. (That's why they are vented) Gel's under normal conditions are sealed, and are more user friendly. A normal lead-acid battery gases when in use, and sulfuric acid particles are released in it's normal charge recharge cycle.

Those are fact's you can go to the bank with. Jim

Grimace

suggestion

Post by Grimace » Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:22 pm

Rather than using a deep cycle battery, I'd suggest buying a portable jump starter unit to power your cpap. You can get one for less than a good deep cycle battery, probably 40 or 50 dollars, and there should be no danger of any toxic gas leakage. They are very handy to keep in a vehicle for an emergency, as they can be used to jump start a dead battery, most of them have a small air compressor built in so you can air up a tire, and most have 12-volt connectors built in as well. They can also be charged up from a car lighter socket. For a few dollars more, you can buy a unit that has a phase converter built in, so there's no need for an adapter.

jeepdoctor

Post by jeepdoctor » Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:17 am

If you want a battery that doesn't vent hydrogen and lasts a long time, Optima is the answer. Autozone and Federated carry them.

bbeck4x4

Post by bbeck4x4 » Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:17 pm

jeepdoctor, you beat me to the punch for suggesting a Optima.

I use a yellow top for my cpap needs, best battery on the market IMHO

Brian

krousseau

Post by krousseau » Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:02 pm

So glad you mentioned Optima-it is the one I got for the summer's rambling. And a Black & Decker smart charger. Got the connectors from cpap.com. It seemed like an expensive system to set up but it felt like the safest for a person who has no experience with batteries and recharging & using them for something like this. One more question. I think I've seen clamps on the battery posts/terminals-it seems like it would make for a more secure connection when putting the charger clamps on the battery. Is it my imagination or are there "things" to go on the battery posts/terminals? The guys at the hardware store hate to see me coming as I'm always asking for a tool that they say does not exist. (though one time I later found one of my "imaginary tools" in my Grandfather's tool chest).

Faced with the choice between changing one's mind and proving that there is no need to do so, almost everyone gets busy on the proof.....Galbraith's Law

bbeck4x4

Post by bbeck4x4 » Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:19 pm

the cpap is not using enough power to need a connector like say you car would use, the clip on units are fine, the ones that come with the cpap power cable, that is all that I am using.

Brian