Mouth Taping Procedure 6/2/06

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
roster

Mouth Taping Procedure 6/2/06

Post by roster » Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:51 pm

Note 9/15/2008: IMO, mouthtaping should be a last attempt when all reasonable efforts to use a FF mask fail.

No, I did not invent or discover mouth taping. Many were doing it for years before I came along. I did decide to write down the detailed procedure of what is successful for me in the hope that it would be helpful for new tapers.

Mouth Taping Procedure Updated 6/2/2006

I tried chinstraps for the first two months and although they kept my mouth closed I would wake up from apnea episodes due to the pressure leaking out through my lips. Taping the mouth sounded stupid and hideous to me but I tried it, it works beautifully for me and it is quite comfortable (the chinstraps were hot and uncomfortable!). Here's the procedure that works for me (My mask is the Swift nasal pillows and I am quite happy with it):

Mouth taping

Tape: Nexcare Gentle Paper Tape (3M Micropore Surgical Tape) 2-inches wide (available from many internet suppliers; I buy mine from Walgreen’s - $6.99 for 360 inches).

Nightly routine
:
1. Notify family silent for 8 hours (phone calls – take message).
2. Wash thoroughly and dry face.
3. Apply Chapstick (generic brand) to lips.
4. Roll under about 1/16 inch of tape end to form tab for easy/quick removal of tape in morning.
5. Cut length of tape to cover lips plus about ¾ inch on each side of lips.
6. Turn lips in slightly (opposite of puckering) and center and apply tape horizontally across lips.

It doesn’t sound like it, but there is almost no discomfort wearing the tape and zero mouth leaks. There is slight discomfort when removing the tape, but the Chapstick stops the tape from adhering to the sensitive lip tissue. I find that occasionally tape adhesive is left on my face in the mornings. This can be rubbed off gently with alcohol swabs which are under $2.00 for 100 at about any pharmacy.

So far the only downside for me is the occasional night when I awaken and need to take an Ibuprofen and glass of water for muscle aches or headache. Then I need to remove the tape and retape.

I should add that I have sneezed quite forcefully right through the Swift nasal pillow and the mouth tape held.

I have now coughed a few times through the Swift nasal pillow and that was a little bit scary. The mouth tape held and the cough seemed to blow back through my nose and almost blew the Swift interface off. Oh well, I lived and now it won’t be so scary when I have to cough again.

Note: Some have expressed a concern about a power failure with the mouth taped. I have turned my machine off to test this and I could easily breathe through the exhaust ports on the Swift nasal pillow. Of course if you continue to sleep when the power goes off you are getting no therapy and apnea episodes will occur.

Note: Other brands and types of tape may be just as good. I haven’t tried any because I am satisfied with the 3M type listed.

Last edited by roster on Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:59 am, edited 8 times in total.
Rooster
I have a vision that we will figure out an easy way to ensure that children develop wide, deep, healthy and attractive jaws and then obstructive sleep apnea becomes an obscure bit of history.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ycw4uaX ... re=related

Bookbear

Post by Bookbear » Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:16 pm

Rooster, thanks for posting this. Right now, I am using a ff mask since I seem to mouth breathe some at night (didn't know I did until sleep test) and cannot use the nasal pillows for that reason. The FF mask leaves ruts in my fat face so I really would like to try the Breeze again. Your taping procedure may just work for me!

mothra7

Post by mothra7 » Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:30 am

Rooster,
I tried the paper tape with some success, but your method of slightly turning the lips inward seems to be the answer for me. Of course, now I still have issues with rainout, etc. etc., but I'm tweaking the protocol every night...I will survive! (and maybe finally get to sleep through the night!)
Thanks for the suggestion.

oldgearhead

Post by oldgearhead » Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:02 am

Rooster,

Your procedure has been lifesaver for me.

I have been on and off xPAP for over 5 years now. After trying your 'mouth
taping procedure', last month, I am, for the first time, sleeping through the night.

I am not a mouth breather. However, my problem has always been: As soon
as I doze off, my tongue 'floats' and the air rushes out.

I think, as others have mentioned, tongue control is a big part of the battle. I started out using the tape and parking my tongue behind the cleft of the upper pallet. Wrong, it did not work! I would wake up with a big hole blown through the tape, and air rushing out my month. For me the answer
has been to park my tongue behind the lower gum line. I feel someday I won't need the tape.

I wish to thank everyone on the forum for my recent success. Especially those of you, like Rooster, RG, Brass.., Night.., Off.., and etc. who take
the time to go the extra mile, when sharing your experiences...

btw - As far as FFMs, mouth pieces, and chin straps are concerned, I've been there and done that, all without success.

Jim Stuart/ Indy (Go Colts!)
(aka: oldgearhead)

oldgearhead

Post by oldgearhead » Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:16 am

..and furthermore, this is how I remove the tape:

1) Fill the basin about half full of very warm water.

2) With my right hand I scoop several handfuls of the warm water onto the tape.

3) Once the tape is well soaked, I keep rolling it loose with more handfuls of warm water, until its all off.

There is a product sold by the 'Chin Up' (Ugh!!) people that will also help with the tape removal. I've gone to the warm water because its almost as good, its much cheaper, and I think the 'Chin-Up' product is awful...

roster

Post by roster » Fri Jun 09, 2006 6:36 am

oldgearhead wrote:..and furthermore, this is how I remove the tape:

1) Fill the basin about half full of very warm water.

2) With my right hand I scoop several handfuls of the warm water onto the tape.

3) Once the tape is well soaked, I keep rolling it loose with more handfuls of warm water, until its all off.

There is a product sold by the 'Chin Up' (Ugh!!) people that will also help with the tape removal. I've gone to the warm water because its almost as good, its much cheaper, and I think the 'Chin-Up' product is awful...
That's great to hear about your success!

This morning I tried soaking the Micropore tape in hot water to remove it. When it was soaked thoroughly, I gently pulled it off, but the adhesive separated from the paper tape. I was left with gobs of adhesive on my face which wouldn't wash off. After scrubbing for 10 minutes with a rough alcohol-soaked wash cloth, there was still a good bit of ahesive on my face. I shaved with an electric razor and that took some more adhesive off, but I will be leaving the house in a few minutes with "sticky" all around my mouth. Tomorrow I will go back to just slowly pulling off the tape without letting it get wet. This leaves a small amount of adhesive on my face but not nearly so much as this morning.

My wife loves touring houses so we are off this morning to tour the Sanctuary (http://www.crescent-resources.com/commu ... rhomes.asp).

oldgearhead

Post by oldgearhead » Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:34 am

Rooster - The residue had not been much of a problem for me. But there are toweleletts available that will remove it...

buckeyered

Post by buckeyered » Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:21 pm

Is there a way to tape and still keep my mustache? I cant seem to get a good seal with the tape as my mustache covers half my upper lip (I use it to cover a shrapnel scar) and I really don't want to shave it off.

automanRT

tapimg mouth instead of chin strap

Post by automanRT » Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:40 pm

I am a autocpap user, and a respiratory therapist. I have 15 years experience with setting up cpap's in patients' homes. I am telling you this so you can see that I am qualified in this field.
I can not stress enough that using tape over your mouth is EXTREMELY dangerous! If you ever became sick or had acid reflux with your mouth taped you will most likely inhale and drown in your own vomit, before you could remove the tape. If you have a respiratory condition such as asthma you could die from obstructing your airway. Thats' if you even awoke enough to know what has happened.
You would be better off using a full face mask to correct the problem. Please explore other options instead of attempting such a dangerous practice.
Good luck and god bless.[/b]

roster

Post by roster » Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:20 pm

Some people have been killed by automobile seat belts.

I have a very good and experienced sleep doctor who has given his approval of my taping procedure.

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:09 pm

Thanks, rooster, for your clear description of how you use tape. I've been taping my mouth almost every night for over two years, essentially the way you describe. Works great. Lets me wear masks that are MUCH more comfortable and leakproof than the two full face masks I used during my first six months on cpap.

Links to: Mouth leaks - Air Leaks - Tape - DIY Guard

Post by Guest » Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:13 pm

rested gal wrote:Thanks, rooster, for your clear description of how you use tape. I've been taping my mouth almost every night for over two years, essentially the way you describe. Works great. Lets me wear masks that are MUCH more comfortable and leakproof than the two full face masks I used during my first six months on cpap.

Links to: Mouth leaks - Air Leaks - Tape - DIY Guard
Rested Gal,
You ought to give that Hybrid mask a try.

viewtopic.php?t=10387

Taper

Post by Taper » Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:34 pm

Having never thrown up in my sleep in the nearly half-century I've been alive, it doesn't concern me much. (Actually, it doesn't concern me at all.) However, if you're prone to vomiting in your sleep, don't tape.

zleepy

Re: tapimg mouth instead of chin strap

Post by zleepy » Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:33 pm

Do people spit out acid reflux? I use to have sever acid reflux and while sleeping it was alway inhaled in my lungs. I did wake up and cough but I am sure I could remove tape if this happened.

[quote="automanRT"]I am a autocpap user, and a respiratory therapist. I have 15 years experience with setting up cpap's in patients' homes. I am telling you this so you can see that I am qualified in this field.
I can not stress enough that using tape over your mouth is EXTREMELY dangerous! If you ever became sick or had acid reflux with your mouth taped you will most likely inhale and drown in your own vomit, before you could remove the tape. If you have a respiratory condition such as asthma you could die from obstructing your airway. Thats' if you even awoke enough to know what has happened.
You would be better off using a full face mask to correct the problem. Please explore other options instead of attempting such a dangerous practice.
Good luck and god bless.[/b]

birdshell

Lips Soft; Vomit and DIE!; Micropore Tape Cheaper

Post by birdshell » Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:40 pm

Rooster, I had to add my thanks.

This works like a charm, and although I had to tape the whole mouth, I have graduated to the center only, using about 2 inches of the one-inch wide Micropore/Nexcare paper tape. The chap stick helps keep the lips in good condition. (I never applied it so regularly before.)

I was having SO much trouble with the slippage of my headgear straps caused by the 2 different chin straps.

As a relative newbie (just about 2-1/2 months), thank you, thank you, thank you.

As for the vomiting question, where does this come from? Why are so many medical folks so worried about this?

It reminds me of the "can't go swimming for 1/2 hour after eating or you will cramp and drown." This was later proven to be untrue, even though it was taught to lifeguards by the American Red Cross. (Including my father in the late 1940's and me in the late 1960's to early 1970's.) Here is some more about the topic:

http://www.snopes.com/oldwives/hourwait.asp

FYI, I went to my DME provider today and their Micropore 2 inch tape was less than $6.00 a roll of 10 yards (or 360 inches). They also sold them separately and in a box of 6 rolls.