CPAP proven to improve blood pressure

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
dsm

CPAP proven to improve blood pressure

Post by dsm » Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:40 pm

Another medical study that should interest a few among us

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/medical ... wsid=43859

DSM

Excerpt ...

Nighttime Breathing Mask Decreases Blood Pressure In People With Sleep Apnea

Patients with the nighttime breathing disorder known as obstructive sleep apnea who receive air through a mask while they sleep can significantly reduce their blood pressure, according to a study to be presented at the American Thoracic Society International Conference on May 22nd.

"Sleep apnea can have significant consequences on a person's physical health, and this study shows once again that treatment may lessen those risks," said lead researcher Daniel Norman, M.D., Fellow in Pulmonary and Critical Care at the University of California San Diego Medical Center.

xPAP and Quattro std mask (plus a pad-a-cheek anti-leak strap)

Vader

Re: CPAP proven to improve blood pressure

Post by Vader » Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:03 pm

dsm wrote:Another medical study that should interest a few among us

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/medical ... wsid=43859

DSM

Excerpt ...

Nighttime Breathing Mask Decreases Blood Pressure In People With Sleep Apnea

Patients with the nighttime breathing disorder known as obstructive sleep apnea who receive air through a mask while they sleep can significantly reduce their blood pressure, according to a study to be presented at the American Thoracic Society International Conference on May 22nd.

"Sleep apnea can have significant consequences on a person's physical health, and this study shows once again that treatment may lessen those risks," said lead researcher Daniel Norman, M.D., Fellow in Pulmonary and Critical Care at the University of California San Diego Medical Center.

Hey, I could've told you that!

My BP has come down considerably. No doubt about it, it's another darn good reason for apnea treatment, if overall health and well being wasn't enough incentive for folks.

Vader

Snoredog

Post by Snoredog » Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:15 am

I said that for years, nobody believed me. I found out the hard way, was treating hypertension before OSA, went on cpap ended up with Hypotension.

Dr. kept swapping hypertension meds, was working in the attic doing some electrical wiring, got vertigo and couldn't get out of the attic for over a half hour. Told my Neuro about it, she sent me in for another MRI, thought I had a stroke to the cerebellum. Was monitoring my BP regularly, it was always low, stopped taking the Lisinopril and just monitored my BP daily, haven't need it but a few times since. Think I have white-coat hypertension. Haven't seen that quack Neuro since either.

Here's one going back to 2002:
http://www.aafp.org/afp/20020115/229.html

Interesting note in the above, in table2:

Hematologic and biochemical findings

Elevated hematocrit

Hyperuricemia

Reduced renin levels during sleep

Increased sympathetic activity

Elevated atrial natriuretic factor

Elevated ratio of vasoconstrictor to vasodilator prostaglandins

Reduced testosterone levels in men

Reduced endothelium dependent relaxation factor (nitric oxide)

Reduced blood fibrinolytic activity

Increased platelet activation and aggregation

Elevated erythropoietin levels

Elevated plasma fibrinogen levels

Elevated endothelin

Elevated leptin levels

Elevated von Willebrand factor

When I first read the above report, I checked my hematology report, my platelet count was >800UL, Hematologist never could figure out why, I went on cpap my platelet count dropped back down to normal <399UL levels at next month's CBC. Increased platelet activation and aggregation puts you at greater risk of thrombus and clotting, increasing risk of stroke.

Vader

Post by Vader » Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:12 pm

I'm surprised this thread hasn't got more attention.

But anyway, as an afterthought....

I wonder what the big pharmaceutical companies would do, if increased CPAP use and awareness caused LESS people to be dependant on BP meds?

Vader

t-bone

Um, Vader?

Post by t-bone » Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:31 pm

I think you already know that answer...they'd buy the CPAP manufacturers, and double (or quadruple) the prices.

And make the machines have a six-month life span...

Do Not Incorrige!

Vader

Re: Um, Vader?

Post by Vader » Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:54 pm

t-bone wrote:I think you already know that answer...they'd buy the CPAP manufacturers, and double (or quadruple) the prices.

And make the machines have a six-month life span...

Yes, actually I was thinking somewhat along those lines....

Vader

Krelvin

Post by Krelvin » Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:59 pm

I just had one of my BP meds dropped due to the change in BP after going on BiPap.

Current Settings PS 4.0 over 10.6-18.0 (cmH2O) - Resmed S9 VPAP Auto w/h5i Humidifier - Quattro Air FFM
TNET Sleep Resource Pages - CPAP Machine Database
Put your equip in your Signature - SleepyHead v1.0.0-beta-1
Kevin... alias Krelvin

RachelM

Time period for BP reduction

Post by RachelM » Sat Oct 21, 2006 4:39 pm

After beginning CPAP, is it short-term that BP figures are reduced or does it take long-term to see results?

Mile High Sleeper

blood pressure improvement

Post by Mile High Sleeper » Sat Oct 21, 2006 6:03 pm

I imagine the length of time to see improvement in blood pressure varies by individual. For me:

By the end of 6 weeks (with machine incorrectly giving only 4 hours of treatment a night), blood pressure went from borderline high (140/90 or more) almost all the time to borderline high half of the time, normal (120/80) half of the time, with no medications.

After 10 weeks of incorrect setting of therapy mode by the RT at the DME, I learned to how to check, correct, and adjust the machine settings so I was getting a full night of treatment. After 4 weeks at correct settings, perhaps sooner, blood pressure returned to normal range for the first time in several years. At the same time, I eliminated salt from my diet.

Later, I added the OTC herbal Carditone, suggested by my MD, to CPAP and very low (almost no) salt, and my BP became ideal (115/70). Then I experimented with discontinuing the carditione, and BP returned to normal and a little higher. So back to the inexpensive carditone which can be purchased online. The carditone info says that if you take it for 2 or 3 years, often you don't need to take it anymore and your BP will remain normal or ideal.

Problems cannot be solved at the same level of awareness that created them. - Albert Einstein

Do not wait for leaders; do it alone, person to person. - Mother Teresa

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Sat Oct 21, 2006 6:17 pm

After about 11 months on CPAP, I went off my BP meds (beginning of April of '06). My BP has generally been below the numbers that are considered "high" (140/90). It fluctuates a bit but is usually somewhere in the 130/80 range.....sometimes a little lower.....sometimes a little higher. Hopefully my little BP machine is relatively accurate.

Den

Last edited by Wulfman on Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

kteague

CPAP and BP

Post by kteague » Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:40 pm

Thanks for the articles to back up what I already believed. Lately when I hear someone say how many BP pills they are on and nothing is working, the first thing I ask is about their sleep. I have a longtime friend in that category. She is exhausted all the time, BP thru the roof, and just says she doesn't need her sleep tested because all she does is sleep. I could just scream. I will copy these articles and give them to her. Thanks again.
Kathy

thomzeyl

Post by thomzeyl » Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:28 am

OSA is officially recognized and listed as a risk factor for high BP by the Canadian Hypertension Society. I ask all my patients with elevated BP about sleep distubances, and ask them to check with their sleeping partners as well. Any positive answers, and they get sent for a sleep study. A great way to treat high BP!
"he who has no vision of eternity will never get a true hold of time"

qpriceisright

Re: CPAP and BP

Post by qpriceisright » Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:00 pm

kteague wrote:Thanks for the articles to back up what I already believed. Lately when I hear someone say how many BP pills they are on and nothing is working, the first thing I ask is about their sleep. I have a longtime friend in that category. She is exhausted all the time, BP thru the roof, and just says she doesn't need her sleep tested because all she does is sleep. I could just scream. I will copy these articles and give them to her. Thanks again.
Kathy
You are so right kt...I am currently on 4 Blood Pressure pills/day and nothing was working, I am also pregnant. I realized that I should try again to wear my mask because I was soooo tired all the time but I slept all the time too. (Thanks to CollegeGirl and telling me about the alarm on my system) I have been on my machine for almost a week and now I am already feeling better and I bet my bp is going to get better. Two weeks ago I could not stay awake long enough to read through a single subject with several posts.

stoverquill

Post by stoverquill » Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:56 pm

In August I was suffering from severe head-aches...found out high blood pressure. My doctor started me on meds and questioned me about my sleep. Sent me to sleep doc, and here I am today. Diagnosed with severe osa...waiting on my CPAP. My primary and I both believe I'll one day be able to stop meds.

The more I learn about sleep and sleeping disorders the more thankful I am that I have a Primary Doctor who listens without patronizing! And that I have found this forum.

Thanks for answering all my questions...I'm sure I'll have lots more when I begin CPAP.

Wishing you dreams!!!
Trina

I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me. Philippians 4:13

gulfpearl

Post by gulfpearl » Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:43 am

I have been on apap for 15 months now . I am 100% COMPLIANT. Before xpap therapy I was taking 2 B/P meds & my B/P was fearly well controlled.I now am taking 3 B/P meds & my B/P is still high. Iwas really hoping Xpap therapy would bring it down.