how many watts does your cpap draw?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
yardbird

how many watts does your cpap draw?

Post by yardbird » Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:21 am

Here's a device that you might want to take a look at. I'm sure there are others out there, but this one looks like it's fairly inexpensive. You could conceivably use this to determine the power requirements of your CPAP equipment in case you're trying to figure out what you'd need for battery backup.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/electronic/7657/

derek

Post by derek » Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:30 am

I've done measurements on the REMStar Auto running on dc. It draws about 0.75 amps, which corresponds to 9 watts (12 x .75) without the humidifier. It probably draws a bit more on ac. This is about 1/6 of the power of a 60 watt light bulb!

I don't know how much the humidifier draws, but its probably 30 - 50 watts max.

The current ratings given by the manufacturers are the maximum values, and do not represent the average draw.

The point is that a cpap is not a significant energy user.

yardbird

Post by yardbird » Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:43 am

derek-

interesting... I'm seeing pure sine wave inverters going for about $60 on ebay in the 300-500watt range. That seems like it'd be plenty big enough to handle an autopap including the heater.

I'm not going to chase the battery backup thing just yet, personally. I mean if I see pieces and/or parts that I can get for a bargain I may squirrel some stuff away, but I have a 5000 watt standby generator and I'm more inclined to convert that to using natural gas, than I am to try and get set up to run my machine on battery.

chrisp

Post by chrisp » Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:23 pm

All you need to do is buy the M connecter 9$6)and a battery. Seems alot easier than running out to start that ole stinky generator @ 2 gallons an hour. And hope you dont get electrocuted or die from carbon monoxide .

:twis ted:

yardbird

Post by yardbird » Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:41 pm

chrisp.... propane. The generator is getting converted... no bad fumes.
I was gonna do natural gas ..... I'm still considering that as another alternative. The natural gas stays on when the power is out and I'd never have to worry about whether the tank is getting low on propane. However propane burns ALMOST as hot as gasoline and natural gas is quite a bit cooler burning .... just not there yet.

I agree about the battery though. If I lost my humidifier, but kept my xPAP machine running I think that'd be fine in an emergency.

sthnreb

Post by sthnreb » Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:30 am

I contacted Respironics about the Bipap pro 2 and they replied that it would pull about 80 watts of power.

CharlesJ

Post by CharlesJ » Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:59 am

derek wrote:I've done measurements on the REMStar Auto running on dc. It draws about 0.75 amps, which corresponds to 9 watts (12 x .75) without the humidifier.
Derek >>> Kudos on your knowledge of Ohm's Law!

To be accurate, current is drawn. Power is measured in watts.

Chuck

Wizbang72

Re:

Post by Wizbang72 » Mon May 04, 2015 12:45 pm

CharlesJ wrote:
derek wrote:I've done measurements on the REMStar Auto running on dc. It draws about 0.75 amps, which corresponds to 9 watts (12 x .75) without the humidifier.

Chuck
To be accurate, he used Watt's Law, not Ohm's!

Wizbang72

Re: Re:

Post by Wizbang72 » Mon May 04, 2015 12:48 pm

Wizbang72 wrote:
CharlesJ wrote:

Chuck
To be accurate, he used Watt's Law, not Ohm's!
To be even more accurate, I just replied to a 10 year old post!! A timely response....

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Re: how many watts does your cpap draw?

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon May 04, 2015 1:22 pm

Today we might use a Kill-a-Watt device, sometimes found at affordable prices at Harbor Freight.

poppi2

Post by poppi2 » Mon May 04, 2015 2:01 pm

Wizbang72 wrote:. . . To be even more accurate, I just replied to a 10 year old post!! A timely response....
You did give me a good laugh. Thanks, Earl

Post by Guest » Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:10 pm

I have a PR System one (DS S50 HS) and am trying to figure out the best battery back up solution for power outages, and have a simple question: why is is to darned difficult to find out how much power the cpap and the humidifier draw? Nothing in the manufacturer's paperwork or web site (is this a secret? why?). The bottom of the cpap says 12 v - 5 A, which guess means is uses roughly 60 watts. But a previous post notes that a Remstar was using 9 watts (no humidifier). That's a big difference! ALSO, regarding the humidifier: to minimize power draw, does it need to be disconnected (run the tube right into the cpap)?, or can it just be set to zero? Thanks for any answers.

CapnLoki

Post by CapnLoki » Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:16 pm

Guest wrote:I have a PR System one (DS S50 HS) and am trying to figure out the best battery back up solution for power outages, and have a simple question: why is is to darned difficult to find out how much power the cpap and the humidifier draw? Nothing in the manufacturer's paperwork or web site (is this a secret? why?). The bottom of the cpap says 12 v - 5 A, which guess means is uses roughly 60 watts. But a previous post notes that a Remstar was using 9 watts (no humidifier). That's a big difference! ALSO, regarding the humidifier: to minimize power draw, does it need to be disconnected (run the tube right into the cpap)?, or can it just be set to zero? Thanks for any answers.
This should answer your question, though these measurements are for the newer model 560. I think the 550 uses "classic" humidity, without the heated hose.
viewtopic.php?t=102179

This is my setup for a backup system:
viewtopic.php?t=102775

And if anyone wants to take detailed measurements:
http://www.amazon.com/Watts-Meter-Analy ... 001B6N2WK/

Additional Comments: Pressure 9-20, average ~9.5; often use battery power while off-grid
Hark, how hard he fetches breath . . .  Act II, Scene IV, King Henry IV Part I, William Shakespeare
Choosing a Battery thread: http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic/t1140 ... ttery.html