Resmed S9 Elite Teardown with pictures

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Re: Resmed S9 Elite Teardown with pictures

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:43 pm

Not everyone is comfortable with this degree of "surgery";
but it's good to know how--just in case. thanks to nashbridges for the contribution.
--and thank you to vicpete for bringing it back--I had missed that one--cool!

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:09 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:Not everyone is comfortable with this degree of "surgery";
but it's good to know how--just in case. thanks to nashbridges for the contribution.
--and thank you to vicpete for bringing it back--I had missed that one--cool!
here's another teardown: http://imgur.com/a/S0ojG#0

they're actually easy to take apart and put back together.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:53 pm

DIY-ers don't freak out over the unfamiliar--they just dig in.
I saw a T-shirt at MakerFaire: "I void warranties"

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:59 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:DIY-ers don't freak out over the unfamiliar--they just dig in.
I saw a T-shirt at MakerFaire: "I void warranties"

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:26 am

Just to throw more gasoline on the fire regarding the teardown of CPAP machines: There was a discussion of that same topic last year, only it was for the PR S1 series. (I'm not recommending anybody disassemble their machine, BTW)

http://www.tnlc.com/Lara/laura/osa/PR-S ... y_jdm5.pdf

Also: ignore the info on disabling the speaker... there's a far easier way to mute the speaker and you don't have to take the machine apart. You can PM me for details if you like, there are a few important caveats.

Last edited by Sir NoddinOff on Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:38 am

palerider wrote: (btw, oxyclean with get the yellowing out of the silicone, and trips through the dishwasher gets rid if the smell better than anything else I tried).
Hi Palerider: That the first I've heard of OxyClean and CPAP masks (if indeed you are saying it'll work on even thin silicone). Do you think OxyClean and the dishwasher are is a good replacement method for boiling cushions in a water and sodium bicarbonate solution (a huge PITA)... in other words, will it extend the life of those cushions

Anyone else tried OxyClean or have an opinion on that topic?

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:06 pm

Sir NoddinOff wrote:
palerider wrote: (btw, oxyclean with get the yellowing out of the silicone, and trips through the dishwasher gets rid if the smell better than anything else I tried).
Hi Palerider: That the first I've heard of OxyClean and CPAP masks (if indeed you are saying it'll work on even thin silicone). Do you think OxyClean and the dishwasher are is a good replacement method for boiling cushions in a water and sodium bicarbonate solution (a huge PITA)... in other words, will it extend the life of those cushions

Anyone else tried OxyClean or have an opinion on that topic?
I don't know... my only experience oxycleaning was with the silicone parts inside the s9, which are pretty sturdy. I'd tried dawn, alcohol, baking soda, vinegar, and simple green (degreaser) at least... and the parts were still yellow/brown, not clear. then I figured "well, why not" and dumped in some oxyclean... lo and behold, a few days later, I noticed the yellowing was getting less, and the stench was a bit less too, so I gave it a fresh batch and let it keep soaking.

as to mask cushions, I don't know, but if you've got an old crufty mask cushion... what's the harm in trying?

gary1001

Post by gary1001 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:48 pm

Old thread but....

Any idea if the fans/motors in the S9 series are interchangeable? I.e, are the VPAP motors the same as the elite or autoset?

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:02 pm

gary1001 wrote:Old thread but....

Any idea if the fans/motors in the S9 series are interchangeable? I.e, are the VPAP motors the same as the elite or autoset?
I can't see *any* difference in the elite, vpap auto and vpap adapt motors.

all internal parts identical.

gary1001

Post by gary1001 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:08 pm

interesting. I guess the only difference between models is the mainboard and software. Most likely just the software...

have you ever swapped out motors or mainboards up and down the range?

BugDoc

Post by BugDoc » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:27 am

These instructions were fantastic and accurate! I used them and dissembled my unit and cleaned it. Found a lot of dust despite using the filters. On reassembly, I did bend the SD holder guides and that will take some fixing. However, the noise from my unit appears to be a failing bearing, so I will have to replace the unit anyway. Lasted 5 years. BTW--I did buy the more expensive humidifier pan, and it is substantially better built. It is of heavier gauge metal and hopefully the coating is a lot thicker. I rust through the cheaper ones about every 9 months and have to replace them. Had 3 of the others in 4 years, but this one looks like it will last a lot longer.

BigBill

Post by BigBill » Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:08 pm

I have used a Fisher Pakel 604 and now a Resmed S9 Elite and Hi5 since 2011. 14,000 hrs used. My S 9 suddenly started making a very loud wining noise, especially on inhalation. Setting 14 inches.It seamed like a leak somewhere. Using this post with pictures I was able to disassemble and clean the S 9. It appeared that the silicone gaskets might have shifted inside. I cleaned the whole machine , much dust and grime and carefully reassemble. I made m sure the were properly aligned and sealed and seated. Now the noise/whine is gone and it smells better. Thank you very much.....

mcpascalns

Post by mcpascalns » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:48 pm

BugDoc wrote:These instructions were fantastic and accurate! I used them and dissembled my unit and cleaned it. Found a lot of dust despite using the filters. On reassembly, I did bend the SD holder guides and that will take some fixing. However, the noise from my unit appears to be a failing bearing, so I will have to replace the unit anyway. Lasted 5 years. BTW--I did buy the more expensive humidifier pan, and it is substantially better built. It is of heavier gauge metal and hopefully the coating is a lot thicker. I rust through the cheaper ones about every 9 months and have to replace them. Had 3 of the others in 4 years, but this one looks like it will last a lot longer.
I am interested to know that 'more expensive humidifier pan,' How many kinds we have? Would that fit with my cpap machine? I have a small water tank which I have to fill in water every night to maintain a desirable level of humidity at 4.5. Please, is there a way I can fill water only once to last a whole week?

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:24 pm

mcpascalns wrote:Please, is there a way I can fill water only once to last a whole week?
you want week old pond scum humidifying your air?

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:40 am

mcpascalns wrote: Please, is there a way I can fill water only once to last a whole week?
Not a good idea. Distilled water is cheap and it takes about a minute to put fresh water in the tank when you go to bed... what's the big deal?

Several months ago somebody had a successful idea to have a reserve tank hooked up to supply extra water so the tank wouldn't run dry during the night, forcing them to wake up to refill the tank. That's all I remember of the conversation since I'd never use the idea anyway. Maybe somebody bookmarked it back then.