Sore Nares...Looking for Another Mask Option

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
bassett

Sore Nares...Looking for Another Mask Option

Post by bassett » Sun Jul 02, 2006 3:23 pm

The topic of a sore nares has been covered extensively here. With that said, I've had a lot of problems eliminating a sore nares, after 3 months using the Mirage Swift large nasal pillows. I've tried various lubricants and I've made the straps as loose as possible (any looser would lead to leaks). I'm in a quandry however because I'm a rabid side sleeper. Does any one have any recommendations for a possible mask (without nasal pillows) that might be acceptable for me (as a side sleeper)? Thanks for your input.

Missy

Post by Missy » Sun Jul 02, 2006 4:11 pm

Bassett-I am 2 months into my Cpap journey and am hardly an authority on the subject, but I am using the Comfortlite 2 with the direct seal nasal interface and am really happy with it. I, too, had really sore nares from the nasal pillow interface (also had trouble with the seal) and switched to the direct seal. Since then, I have made real progress with the comfort level. I sleep on my sides and stomach and find this mask to accomodate ANY position. Hope this helps.

Snoozy Q

Post by Snoozy Q » Sun Jul 02, 2006 5:09 pm

Hi Bassett.

I am a side sleeper who usually uses a nasal mask (not pillows). I found the trick is to get a really good bed pillow (the kind you put your head on, not the kind that blows up your nose). I have one with an edge that is both high and stiff. I rest my head on my pillow with the front of my face and mask hanging off the edge. I also use Pad-a-Cheeks for extra comfort.

For what its worth, I use a FlexiFit mask -- I think it is the HC407. I don't think there's anything in particular about this nasal mask that makes it good for side sleeping. Getting the right bed pillow was the thing that made side sleeping workable for me.

roadwarrior

Post by roadwarrior » Sun Jul 02, 2006 5:12 pm

I actually do somthing a bit different. I switch off between a Swift and an Activa. When my sinuses or nares act up I switch over to the Activa for several days and then back once all is well. I don't generally experience much issues with sore nares with the large pillows. But I must say for side sleeping I can't imagine a getter mask then the Activa. Stays sealed with less than minimal pressure/tightness and is great for my sinuses when they are a tad stuffy.

Persistance is Omnipotent

kteague

Sore nares

Post by kteague » Sun Jul 02, 2006 8:38 pm

Hi fellow side sleeper - All nasal pillows are not created equal. The Breeze are soft and pliable. Don't know your reason for choosing pillows in the first place, but maybe you don't have to give up yet. You mentioned using size large on your Swift pillows - did you try a size smaller? Seems we have a good number of side sleepers on here so surely you'll have no shortage of testimonials of which non-pillow options are working for them. Good luck.
Kathy

birdshell

Wow--More Side Sleepers with Sore Nares

Post by birdshell » Mon Jul 03, 2006 7:42 am

Hi, fellow side resters!

It has been my experience that, with over two months experience on CPAP, the direct seal on the Comfort Lite and Comfort Lite 2 give me pain in the nares.

I have had success with all of the nasal pillow systems that I have tried:

1. Mirage Swift (straps were too slippery, lost a seal whenever I rolled side to side--since I was only waking up around 10 times per night due to apnea, this was really counter-productive except for the air supply being adequate.)

2. Puritan-Bennett ADAM System (slippery straps on my hair a problem but VERY nice overall, especially for cleaning)

3. Comfort Lite 2 (My latest attempt, FINALLY I have had it with the nasal pillows option for over a week)

Between #2 and #3, I had a loaner Comfort Lite with direct seal. This made my nares sore, but in all fairness--this was a loaner system until my CL 2 came in. It took about 6 weeks to come in. Because this was a loaner, and I had had success with the larger sized pillows on the Swift--I got the size 4 direct seal when the size 3 were not to be found.

A stretched nare is not so comfortable, although oddly the smaller nare was fine being stretched. Maybe this is because it was so used to being stretched for everything else. However, I got better at using the direct seal and could have lived with it, although I will have to try the size 3.

I was just getting used to the direct seal when my beautiful blue CL 2 came in. I have not tried the direct seal with the new set-up, but may have to do so just for fun. I would like to try the simple seal yet, too.

So, in conclusion, all nasal pillow systems new (Swift) and old (ADAM) have been comfortable for me, and the direct seal has not been so easy to seal!

CPAPopedia Keywords Contained In This Post (Click For Definition): mirage, nasal pillow, swift, CPAP, seal, Nasal Pillows

Last edited by birdshell on Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oldgearhead

Post by oldgearhead » Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:15 am

I know this may sound strange, but when my nose gets a bit sore or
I have some congestion, I switch to my F&P HC431. The interesting thing about this full-face mask is it doesn't lose its seal when I move from back to side. However, it does tend to get 'slippery and leak when wet'...

I found the HC431 to be better than the CL2 for 'side sleeping'. But maybe its time to tighten up the CL2's straps again....

birdshell

HC 431 vs. nasal pillows

Post by birdshell » Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:42 pm

I just resist doing the face mask so strongly. If I have to use one someday, I guess I will have to overcome the bit of claustrophobia and the encroachment into my eyes.

I guess I tend to have a small-featured face in a large head. The sleep tech who helped me to try different masks said she could see why I did not like the nasal mask. I felt as if I were suffocating after using it for 20 minutes. I was counting the seconds till I could take it off.

Based on that, I am not sure a full face mask would work. You are not the only one alternating masks depending on the situation. It sounds like a plan, and it is always good to get a personalized review.

I know what you mean about the CL 2, though. I am still playing with the straps, and found out that I had the one on top (that hooks to the "unicorn horn base") too loose. Tightening that more was a revelation, but I'm off to check for other fitting suggestions on this forum.
Last edited by birdshell on Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oldgearhead

Post by oldgearhead » Mon Jul 03, 2006 1:59 pm

Birdshell,
Yes we noticed from your photo, your head is a bit out of proportion from your nose and mouth. But I would like to know how you keep ahead of the air leaks with that beard?

Linda3032

Post by Linda3032 » Mon Jul 03, 2006 3:02 pm

This is another "nasal pillows" suggestion. The pillows on the Aura Headrest are very soft, and they don't have the hard barrel thingie like Swift does.

If you use the Aura with the pantyhose strap - you can sleep in any positiion you want to. Even on your stomach and/or bury your face into your soft pillow.

The Aura was so easy for me to adapt to that it amazes me that everyone doesn't use one. (Yes, I know there is no perfect interface). But I would also hate to have you buy one and then can't use it. Or maybe I would, because I still would like to buy a used back-up Aura. ....

CPAPopedia Keywords Contained In This Post (Click For Definition): swift, Aura

birdshell

Prickly Problems

Post by birdshell » Mon Jul 03, 2006 6:15 pm

Birdshell,
Yes we noticed from your photo, your head is a bit out of proportion from your nose and mouth. But I would like to know how you keep ahead of the air leaks with that beard?
Thanks for the compliment. It isn't easy being prickly, and it is even harder to avoid leaks considering the barbs on the quills tend to shred any mask I use. The chin strap option never worked for me, so I had to go full face mask. The Tiara Ruby just disintegrated the first day.

That is why I went with the gas mask; it has a way of holding up as no other will. I mean, I think this one is from WWII, if not WWI--and it is still going strong. It will be useful if there is ever any chemical warfare, too.

The trade-off is the high number of leaks, you are right about that! But it is also a much cheaper alternative; they are had for a song at the military surplus!

I mean, have you ever considered the alternative cost of replacing face masks every 2 days? My DME provider was an elephant (proponent of the Breeze) who will never forget me. I have supported his whole herd for several years until I happened upon the gas mask.

Now I have a DME provider who is a unicorn and uses the ComfortLite 2. Unicorns can purify water with their horns for cleaning, which comes in very handy in the woods. I have a raccoon buddy who cleans all of my equipment for me; he REALLY enjoys that, but I have to watch him closely to be sure he doesn't eat any of the leather.

I hear there is a hybrid coming out: I can only hope that means a tougher human/animal mask that can be used by both species! .

CPAPopedia Keywords Contained In This Post (Click For Definition): breeze, DME

Last edited by birdshell on Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bassett

Update

Post by bassett » Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:18 am

Update: I've ordered a ComfortLite 2 so I can start a rotation among two masks.

In the meantime, I noticed my sore nares is caused, in part, by a slight cut on the inside edge of my left nostril. I've been putting healing cream on it over the past few days, coupled with vasaline on the nares prior to putting on the Swift. Also, I made a renewed effort to ensure the mask straps are located and tightened properly. I noticed, for instance, that the buckle on the upper part of my head had shifted to the left side (i.e., I had been pulling the strap tighter on the left). My mask is now more "balanced." The sore nares is not gone by any means, but continued further adjustments appear to be making it tolerable.

Thanks for all your help!!

SleeplessInVirginia

Post by SleeplessInVirginia » Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:56 pm

The only mask I have ever used is the Swift, and my only complaint is that my nose is getting pretty tender now too. Underneath it and my nose itself. I like the looks of the Activa for an alternate to use once or twice a week to give my schnozz a rest, but I'm having a hard time figuring out which size to get. I did the size test on cpap.com, but when I hit "enter measurements" it says that this mask would not work for me.
I don't think I have a strange size or shaped face, so I'm not sure how to proceed. I use the small size pillows on my Swift but that's not really any indication about what size Activa I would need.
I also like the look of the ComfortGel, but it's gotten mixed reviews and sounds like I would have a lot of face dents with it.

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away"

Bonnie

Post by Bonnie » Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:27 pm

Birdshell
You mentioned the Swift straps are slippery. Here is a GREAT solution. posted by Steve. I have it on my Swift and I never have had the straps ride up since. It works amazing well. Give it a try, you'll love it.

viewtopic.php?t=5965&highlight=velcro+swift+straps

Bonnie

"People who say they slept like a baby apparently never had one"

ladytonya

Post by ladytonya » Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:22 am

Hmm, I wonder if this would work on the back strap of the ComfortLite 2? I love my CL2 but that darn back strap won't stop riding up! I've tried tightening it, loosening it, and using the different attachment loops (or whatever you call them) and nothing seems to work. At some point during the night, I am eaither taking it off or it is falling off. I have better luck with the CL2 that I have had with any other mask, but I'm still not keeping it on all night. Maybe I'll have to get some velcro and try it out!

Tonya