rested gal's infamous pantyhose straps - deconstructed Aura

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
rested gal

rested gal's infamous pantyhose straps - deconstructed Aura

Post by rested gal » Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:12 am

Linda3032 blazed a trail by posting pictures of her deconstructed Aura - Aeiomed's "Headrest" mask without the headgear:
Feb 01, 2006 subject: My Aura Configuration Linda3032 wearing her deconstructed Aura

So, I finally got some pictures made wearing my deconstructed Aura with the infamous pantyhose tights for straps:

I use the same placement of the red "tights leg" strap when I wear the ComfortLite 2 -- placing it across the "simple cushion" or the "nasal pillows".

The homemade strap can also be used across the front of full face masks, or just about any masks, to help keep them in place. Just take care not to cover exhaust vents.

Pictures of the "double-start" knot that I use to tie the homemade strap behind the head are here:
How to tie a "double start knot"

The many advantages to using a double start knot for securing a soft, stretchy homemade strap:

1. The easy loosen/tighten adjustability makes it more customizable to head size and comfortable than, say, a stretchy headband which might feel too tight at times.

2. Lays absolutely flat...a "double start knot" is not like a bulging knot at all.

3. Is easy to loosen with a little tug at the sides.

4. Is easy to tighten by pulling both ends.

5. Quick removal in the morning without having to untie a "real" knot. Pulling both sides outward from the cheeks (both sides at the same time) loosens it completely.

With the Breeze (shown below) I use the velcro straps that come with it, placing them across the front of the hose lower than the lowest "rung" of the plastic hose guide in front:

My edit: Five years later...still using a deconstructed "Aura" (mask name got changed to "Headrest".) And still using homemade straps ... legs cut off a pair of tights:
Last edited by rested gal on Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-SWS

Post by -SWS » Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:28 am

Hey, that's my house and that's my dog!

apneaicinisrael

Post by apneaicinisrael » Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:59 am

You GO Girl!

I love it!

(Thanks...)

AII

puffing billy

Post by puffing billy » Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:50 am

Have you tried the bitsa Breeze headgear with a strap from the side straps through strap guides at the top, it looks like it could be more stable.
Or perhaps you like the jaunty look!

Billy

neversleeps

Post by neversleeps » Mon Jun 19, 2006 4:32 pm

-SWS wrote:Hey, that's my house and that's my dog!
What a relief! I wasn't going to say anything, but I thought that was a mighty strange looking rottweiler....

-SWS

Post by -SWS » Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:05 pm

neversleeps wrote: What a relief! I wasn't going to say anything, but I thought that was a mighty strange looking rottweiler....

LOL! That's Max. He's the young alpha dog of our two-pack. While most wild dogs run around in the wilderness outdoors, our unruly pack-of-two prefer the great indoors. Rested Gal was originally going to train Max and Princess, but decided their unruly behavior just might be due to classic dog apnea.

You can see Max literally panting in his sleep in that picture as Rested Gal gets ready to hold him up to a CPAP mask---for a split-night autoPAP titration study. She's very good with dogs and home-based sleep studies, and she's not the least bit afraid to combine the two. .

unclebob

Post by unclebob » Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:03 pm

Hi rested gal,

Well, looks like you "blew" it. If you expect to become our poster gal for all us Apniacs you really need to show a little more positive identification. We need to feel part of the affluent majority to keep up our self esteem. Just because you have sensuous and infamous pantyhose apnea accessories to flaunt around with your tight little group, the rest of us are looking for leadership - and most of all, a symbol to capture our imagination!

Sure, you know your knots and other secrets, but you're in the big time now and we're all depending on you. I examined the "red tights leg strap" very carefully and nowhere did I see the Nike checkmark. If it's just a matter of not finalizing the contract, them you should have waited to model this new fashion line. And one more thing, how much is Max, the mini Schnauzer, going to get out of all this? Does this mean our DME fees are going up?

Neat post!! Thanks for sharing the personal insight!!!

Bob F

unclebob

neversleeps

Post by neversleeps » Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:35 pm

-SWS wrote:She's very good with dogs and home-based sleep studies, and she's not the least bit afraid to combine the two.

I understand she's had many willing participants:

and some not so willing:

Some who slept right through it:

and some who were just too wired up:

Some who preferred distilled water for humidification:

and some who were not at all picky about the water's source:

Some who were back-sleepers:

Some with serious mask fitting issues:

and, lastly, some who simply refused CPAP therapy altogether
and went with a cheap DIY oral appliance:

But they all left well-rested and happy.
ImageImageImage

-SWS

Post by -SWS » Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:32 pm

Love it! .

birdshell

Which Begs the Question--

Post by birdshell » Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:56 pm

Do animals ever have apnea? We surely have had a few champion snorers of the canine variety in our house.

The competition is to see which snorer can get to sleep first so that the rest of us take longer to fall asleep due to the noise--and usually the dog wins.

In fact, the D-O-G had to go stay overnight at the vet's office. When we went to pick her up, the doc led us back and turned suddenly to say, "By the way--she's snoring!" We assured him that all was right with the world. When she was rescued, the first nap was confirmation that she was meant for us!

Post by Guest » Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:49 pm

The blue-footed booby made my day!!!ROTFLMAO.

mothra7

Post by mothra7 » Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:51 pm

I used a pantyhose leg last night to secure my ComfortLite 2....this is promising! Unfortunately, my mouth taping was apparently slipshod and I awoke with cottonmouth and had to remove the mask. I will tape myself more securely tonight and hope for one blessed night's sleep!

Thanks for the great idea and photo, RG!

Bonnie

Post by Bonnie » Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:03 am

I was searching for RG's pantyhose fix and the instructions for deconstruction of the Aura and came across this post. I can't believe I missed it in June. The dog pictures are hilarious and gave me such a much needed bout of laughter this morning I thought I'd bump it up for y'all to see and hopefully get a chuckle or 2. Lord know we have enough trials and tribulations in our lives and need that occassional Cpap humor.

Bonnie

"People who say they slept like a baby apparently never had one"