Hard to believe- paper towel in mask -blockage

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
knightlite

Hard to believe- paper towel in mask -blockage

Post by knightlite » Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:00 pm

I cleaned my equipment and left a dry paper towel in mask as is my custom . . I found out after sleeping with it in there 6 hours and attempting to put mask back on after a bath break . Never felt any symptoms . In my defense it was low light and I just had eye surgery on both eyes. I have to laugh at myself , I would not have thought it possible. But entirely my fault.
Slept through 2 hours of a power outage another night- didn't bother me , but it sure showed up on sleepy head.
I do remember putting my hand in front of my mask vents to make sure it came on when I turned in .
I have the pad a cheek liner so I felt that with my nose but not the drying towel , I put the mask together in low light and installed the liner/headgear that had been drying all day. Connected the hose /hit the on button and checked the vent with my hand after I had laid down .
Next time my fingers will check the inside of the mask for anything that could fall in there.
I'm sharing this as a caution to others , a plastic bag near your cpap machine or something getting into your mask is a real danger to us older sight impaired cpapers.
I'm sure it helped that I had the auto apap machine. Must have tried to compensate some.
Make sure you eye ball all your equipment/intake vents and all often.

avi123

Re: Hard to believe- paper towel in mask -blockage

Post by avi123 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:34 pm

Even if it got stuck in your nose you could have continued to breathe thru your mouth.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:53 pm

Just shows that you are better off not cleaning your equipment...............

sleepycarol

Post by sleepycarol » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:15 pm

I knew there was a reason I go months without taking mine apart to clean. LOL
Start Date: 8/30/2007 Pressure 9 - 15
I am not a doctor or other health care professional. Comments reflect my own personal experiences and opinions.

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:53 pm

I'm having problems with the electrical outlet my cpap was plugged into. I woke up twice in a panic, not getting any air (I was getting SOME air through the anti-asphyxiation valve, of course). I need to look at my data and see if this happened more than just those two times.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

knightlite

Post by knightlite » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:07 pm

Janknitz
There was a series of stopping due to a bad version of software on pr machines , you may have one of those, it would seem like a power problem . There may be a fix for that or software upgrade . I saw it discussed here awhile back. If its an outlet problem - run a extension cord until you can get that one fixed.
Your situation seems far worse than mine.
Thanks everyone I will still clean my equipment.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:04 am

I started hanging my mask up high when out of service after I saw a cricket on the nightstand.
No, I didn't eat it--dang thing got away!

knightlite

Post by knightlite » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:38 am

chunkyfrog wrote:I started hanging my mask up high when out of service after I saw a cricket on the nightstand.
No, I didn't eat it--dang thing got away!
cute reply.
I didn't want to bring the bug thing up --but.
We have those really big roaches here by the river and they go to the ceilings when it rains a lot . What a bad thought that would be ,a live bug in your mask.
I really don't think you are like that girl on everybody loves raymond who loved frogs and ate bugs. Hilarious show.
Maybe i should store a paper towel in it all the time. LOL