New Software iPhone, Web, and Backup

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
NateS

Re: New Software iPhone, Web, and Backup

Post by NateS » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:55 pm

idamtnboy wrote: As has been mentioned a couple of WiFi SD cards that are available now have been tried but won't work in the S9. The only way I can see a WiFi card working in an S9 is if it is designed so that it looks purely like a normal SD card to the machine. In other words the WiFi aspect of it would have to be completely hidden from the S9. If it's a 4gb card and the WiFi part uses up 2gb, say, the card will have to appear to the S9 as a 2gb card. The S9 absolutely refuses to accept anything foreign in the file structure of the SD card. Get past that hurdle you are on to something. Many of us would like to have WiFi transmission back to our PC, probably even more so than to the cloud.
SD cards can be partitioned. I partitioned the external SD card in my cell phone.

Perhaps the second partition could be made invisible to the read/write system of the S9?

Regards, Nate

Present Rx: EPAP: 8; IPAPlo:11; IPAPHi: 23; PSMin: 3; PSMax: 15
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it." —Groucho Marx

DreamDiver

Post by DreamDiver » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:30 pm

idamtnboy wrote: As has been mentioned a couple of WiFi SD cards that are available now have been tried but won't work in the S9. The only way I can see a WiFi card working in an S9 is if it is designed so that it looks purely like a normal SD card to the machine. In other words the WiFi aspect of it would have to be completely hidden from the S9. If it's a 4gb card and the WiFi part uses up 2gb, say, the card will have to appear to the S9 as a 2gb card. The S9 absolutely refuses to accept anything foreign in the file structure of the SD card. Get past that hurdle you are on to something. Many of us would like to have WiFi transmission back to our PC, probably even more so than to the cloud.
NateS wrote:SD cards can be partitioned. I partitioned the external SD card in my cell phone.
Perhaps the second partition could be made invisible to the read/write system of the S9?
Regards, Nate
It is very unlikely that current SD slots on either S9 or PRS1 will be able to make use of SDIO. From Wikipedia:
Wikipedia wrote:Host support for SDIO
The SDIO and SD interfaces are mechanically and electrically identical. Host devices built for SDIO cards generally accept SD memory cards without I/O functions. However, the reverse is not true, because host devices need suitable drivers and applications to support the card's I/O functions. For example, an HP SDIO camera usually does not work with PDAs that do not list it as an accessory. Inserting an SDIO card into any SD slot causes no physical damage nor disruption to the host device, but users may be frustrated that the SDIO card does not function fully when inserted into a seemingly compatible slot. (Bluetooth devices exhibit comparable compatibility issues, although to a lesser extent thanks to standardized Bluetooth profiles.)

FattyMagoo

Post by FattyMagoo » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:33 am

That video was awesome DreamDiver, I think you've nailed it!

Regarding WiFi comments - have read those threads, just don't think everything has been tried to rule out WiFi as an option.

I'm wading in deep with a couple experiments, can't hurt to try.

DreamDiver wrote:I wanted to clarify what I'm thinking. I might have gone overboard.
I hope this makes sense.
http://youtu.be/W4qJq2ZM41Y

I realize there isn't yet a wifi adapter for PRS1. LIkewise I seriously doubt the ResTraxx is designed for continual monitoring. SDIO cards probably won't (like eye-fi) work in either case because the firmware and hardware on the device have to be designed to support it.

It may be that our hopes lie in the next generation of devices, the S10 and the PRS2, with the idea that perhaps designers will include the overall civic hacking community.

djhall

Post by djhall » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:19 pm

I like everything you proposed, except I too would like to see:

1) local storage on the wireless device / card so it can be downloaded non-wirelessly later if necessary
and
2) the option to upload the data to a local computer, the internet, or both. Aside from perhaps not wanting that data on the internet, there is also the potential for concern about the long term stability of the site hosting the data if that is your only copy.

Otherwise it sounds great. I am a full time computer tech by trade and I'd be happy to beta test if you need volunteers.
Last edited by djhall on Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

raylo

Post by raylo » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:38 pm

avi123 wrote: This is Resmed's goal with ResTraxx:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mp0OQchHvSY
Holy big brother, Batman! Did they intentional try to make this as spooky/scary as possible? Music, voice, and message combine to make this sound like a fake ad from a sci-fi movie. If it wasn't Resmed, I would have assumed it is fake.

FattyMagoo

Post by FattyMagoo » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:48 pm

DJ this is a hot button for me also. Recently Zeo went out of business without any warning to customers. Not only did they not get a chance to download their sleep data, they were rumored to be trying to sell customer data in bulk to get someone to buy the company.

I think software ethics is something big companies (and some small) haven't yet figured out is a key part of what makes software good. The irony is I think most times it actually costs them more in the long run than if they just would have thought of people as human beings in the first place.
djhall wrote: 2) the potential for concern about the long term stability of the site hosting the data if that is your only copy.

Otherwise it sounds great. I am a full time computer tech by trade, so I'd be happy to beta test if you need testers.

djhall

Post by djhall » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:08 pm

raylo wrote:
avi123 wrote: This is Resmed's goal with ResTraxx:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mp0OQchHvSY
Holy big brother, Batman! Did they intentional try to make this as spooky/scary as possible? Music, voice, and message combine to make this sound like a fake ad from a sci-fi movie. If it wasn't Resmed, I would have assumed it is fake.
Oh my god... You weren't kidding! Satellites in space zoom in on your neighborhood where scattered neighbors houses are emitting green beacons, then zooming in on a close up of your house which is emitting a red beacon, and then zooming into your bedroom where you are sleeping because your cpap is sending out the only red beacon.... yeah, that's not creepy imagery at all... And the emotionless monotone voice, "Imagine being able to see your patients at any time, from anywhere.... Imagine being able to zoom in as close as you need to see who is doing well... and who isn't."

Eeek! Who put this together, the NSA!?!?!

DreamDiver

Post by DreamDiver » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:35 pm

djhall wrote: Oh my god... You weren't kidding! ...

Nah... But would you mind putting down the ice cream for a second and turn the page on that book you're reading so we can see what happens next? It looks like it's going to be a page-turner.

djhall

Post by djhall » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:29 pm

DreamDiver wrote:
djhall wrote: Oh my god... You weren't kidding! ...

Nah... But would you mind putting down the ice cream for a second and turn the page on that book you're reading so we can see what happens next? It looks like it's going to be a page-turner.
Sorry, but you'll have to watch the video if you want to see how the rest of the story turns out. If I say any more I might inadvertently give away too much of the plotline where Resmed and the doctor send Jack Bauer to infiltrate his bedroom and interrogate him to find out why he hasn't been meeting his compliance hours...

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:21 pm

Video is copyrighted 2006, up on the Net since 2011.
Some efficacy data is hinted at, but the dreaded "c" word is used too many times for me.