What do you want on your next-gen S10, PRS2?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
DreamDiver

What do you want on your next-gen S10, PRS2?

Post by DreamDiver » Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:48 pm

These might be asking a lot. But they might be things that others like me want too.
What would you like to see on your next-generation machine?

Things I've thought about:
Obvious no-brainer additions in order of importance to me:
  1. Keep [many more] nights of high-rate and medium rate data on machine, even without SD card. Transfer the high-rate and medium-rate data to SD card upon insertion, so we don't lose data when we forget to put the card in one night. Because we do forget sometimes, durnit.
  2. A decent integrated eight-foot heated hose with more durable transition between hose and hose end.
  3. Show me the time in big numbers (maybe date too, but smaller) on the home screen. It's not like there isn't room.
  4. Better time-keeping, perhaps with radio-enabled atomic-clock sync. Admin-settable. [Popular]
  5. Admin-settable day-light savings preferences.
  6. Patient-settable screen-brightness. Button and tank brightness/on/off. [Popular]
  7. Patient-selectable screen 'themes' - regular colors and dark theme colors. How about a variety?
  8. Stay away from light blue backgrounds on patient-available screens, because light blue is supposed to be a wake-trigger. Admin screens can be bright. This is more about the normal patient screens that blind us in the middle of the night with bright colors when we're up for a pee break. Let's reduce that. There could even be a light sensor. Use a bright color scheme when the lights are on and darker colors when the lights are off.
  9. Use bigger fonts on a larger AMOLED screen.
  10. Ramp-on-demand button, especially for high pressures during mid-sleep wake-ups. [Popular]
  11. Even quieter machine. Let's see if we can get rid of the whistle on the S9, anything parallel on the PRS1. [Popular]
  12. [ edited version from StuUnderPressure ] Give me a visual cue on screen: a "warning" dialog that tells me the machine is still writing to the SD card when I turn off the blower, or store all waiting data immediately to the card when I turn the blower off. Allow me to turn the machine back on even if the dialog is still saving.
Other things I'd really like to see too:
  1. Inexpensive integrated patient-available oximetry option with high-rate data plethy capture. Yes, sleepyhead comes closest to integration, but PR and ResMed are both losing a whole market of patients by not making this a cheap and easily accessible option. Oximetry needs no prescription. This really seems like a no brainer to me, but also seems less likely than the others above because the makers are probably being pressed by DME's to keep patients out of the loop. That seems like bad science and bad health to me, but what do I know?
  2. O2 earlobe clip that doesn't leave marks or hurt -- or a finger oximeter that isn't unwieldy and doesn't hurt or leave marks.
  3. Aerophagia event capture (since it can wake some of us), and patient-optional aerophagia-based intelligent pressure reduction in Auto models.
  4. Inexpensive integrated patient-available thoracic band option
  5. Pack-and-go tank - doesn't spill or leak when stowed in travel bag with water still in the tank
  6. In general, less proprietary methodology. It's nice to see SD cards incorporated in this generation of devices, as well as open-source data recording methods. How about inexpensive oximetry the same way? Open-source makes for a bigger user base...
Additional thoughts:
  • Open Source Raspberry Pi interface
    • Make available five or ten extra user-definable graph sections for the S10 Autoset/PRS2 Auto.
    • Create open source data logger using Raspberry Pi hardware and an interface cord that will allow users to capture high-rate or medium rate data and log it on the machine. This could be insanely useful for sleep medicine students who can't afford the big machines or time in the sleep lab, but want to prototype a new data logger. It could also be useful for hobbyists who want to get even more education and entertainment out of their own machines. It would also give sleep apnea machine developers a wider pool of makers who like to hack and create brilliant interfaces that could outshine or eclipse current standards.
    • Things that could be measured include:
      • Ambient external stimuli: light, sound, movement of other people, pets.
      • Ambient room humidity, temperature, etc., as wake-trigger. (For me 74 degrees and 70% humidity is a wake trigger.)
      • Body position: right/left side, belly, back...
      • Plethysmography, heart rate, O2, CO2, etc.
Chunkyfrog's list:
  • Wifi/bluetooth connection to phone or computer
  • RF Remote control option. On/off, humidity up or down, hose heat up/down, ramp.
  • Offline data collection/viewing
  • Email compliance data to insurance
  • Get rid of "Auto-IQ" and any other nasty machine that attempts to remove the patient from having a hand in their own therapy.
pootsie's suggestion:
  • Coffee butler option...
    • Pour green, unroasted beans into optional coffee tank.
    • Tank roasts coffee to desired darkness.
    • Tank grinds coffee as necessary for either percolator, drip or espresso (noiselessly, of course...)
    • Optional dispensers for cream, frothed milk, non-dairy creamer, flavors, alcoholic additives automatically set to dispense preferred additives.
    • Coffee is poured into reusable porcelain-lined adult sippy cup, with aroma acting as alarm clock.
  • jdm2857's addendum:
    • humidifier tank auto-fills with coffee in the morning. Yeah - that'll wake you up!
Sir NoddinOff's idea:
  • Pre-ASV algorithms - smart algorithms that detect when ASV might be a more useful approach and attempt ASV if appropriate.
knightlite list:
  • PRS2-Specific List:
    • Optional humidifcation lock-set in patient settings area.
    • Better filter guard to keep filter from popping out when coughing or sneezing. [Popular]
  • trade-in mandate to get older, still useful machines out to people who will use them, can't afford them, need them.
Wulfman's list:
  • A single machine to meet almost everyone's needs: APAP/Auto - since APAP's can be set to straight CPAP. Makers could concentrate on making a better low-end machine that fits a higher number of users' needs. (BiPAP and ASV are going to need more than a quick MacSleepStudy anyway.)
  • For users capable of controlling their own therapy, in the same way diabetics control their own therapy, all data should be made freely available so patients can make those decisions with an informed, educated view.
  • Incorporate 16 or 32GB high-speed flash NVRAM into blower box. Keep one or more year's full- and medium-rate and statistical data available on the machine. Save all data - stop discarding it until the memory is nearly full - then enable the standard round-robin deletion method. It's not like the technology couldn't do it. Transfer to SD card as needed, using a patient-setting. Allow USB3.0 connection to transfer data from NVRAM to computer for faster transfer of GB of data.
  • Easily replaceable time-keeping battery - no soldering required, no special tools required - just a slot on the bottom or side of the machine. Standard time-keeping batteries - nothing proprietary.
allen476's list
  • Flip-up touchscreen.
  • Bluetooth App Update
  • Oxygen Considerations:
    • Concentrator connectivity - turn on/off concentrator when the CPAP is turned on/off.
    • O2 cylinder connectivity smart valve - turn on/off cylinder when CPAP is turned on/off.
    • O2 twofer valve - Intelligent valve switch that turns on cylinder if concentrator fails and CPAP remains on, or if cylinder is empty, turn off the cylinder and turn on the concentrator if CPAP remains on. Patient-selectable preference for cylinder or concentrator as main and backup. Optional alarm if neither cylinder or concentrator are available. (This is an on-off valve with safety shutoff. Actual O2 settings are done manually on cylinder or concentrator.)
    • Reduce line clutter to the hands, face.
SleepyCPAP's List
  • Encore Viewer and Pro
    • Improve encore software
    • Higher-resolution graphing on screen
    • Better accessibility of data on screen rather than as a printout
    • Better printouts.
    • Better data archiving for Encore viewer. Allow encore viewer to keep a copy of all previous data on the computer - not just view what's on the card.
    • Find a better method than SQL database for Encore Pro, because - wow - is that unweildy for this kind of data.
  • PRS2-specific
    • Ramp for Cflex/Aflex
    • Turn Cflex/Aflex on/off while machine is on.
    • More intuitive large leak indicator on screen. Other intuitive on-screen alerts when therapy needs are not met. [Popular]
  • Sleep Position Sensor for Auto users
  • Free patient-avaiable firmware upgrade option to make use of new capabilities when the older machine is still perfectly suitable for the upgrade.[Popular]
  • Free patient-avaiable firmware upgrade for machines found to have flaws in their firmware.[Popular]
  • Free patient-avaiable firmware upgrade option to make AutoIQ-type machines into full Auto.[Popular]
Black Shampoo's suggestion:
  • BPA-free constituent materials
  • No outgassing materials in any of the materials used on the S10 or the PRS2 including:
    • blower
    • blower housing
    • machine frame
    • humidifier tank
    • filters
    • masks
    • hoses
    • O2 tubing
Hose_Head's Travel XPAP list
  • Travel XPAP that is significantly lighter than today's XPAP's. The lightest ones are currently just under three pounds (1.36Kg). Let's get them under a kilogram (2.2 pounds).
  • Maximize efficiency of travel humidifier: smallest possible size of humidifier while still providing a reasonable volume of water used in a night by an average user. [Thumb Down] on smaller tank
  • Alarm clock. Along with being able to set the machine's clock, allow us to let the machine double as an alarm clock. That's one less thing to pack. [Thumb Down]
  • Luggage: [Popular]
    • Better-padded
    • securable
    • roomier
    • decent stowage pockets, flaps, compartments, etc. for extra CPAP equipment.
    • An official-looking well-placed patch that clearly shows the luggage is medical equipment on flights. (Velcroed and stowable inside the luggage for when we don't want to advertise the luggage as medical equipment.)
    • Enough room for an eight-foot hose, a hose-cover, two masks, chin straps, various adapters and a liter of water.
concerned_sister's suggestion:
  • Patient advocate smartphone app.
    • Alerts sent to patient advocate (parent's, sibling's, nurse's) phone
    • Alerts on mask leak, mask off, over-long apnea, machine restart, (others?)
    • Local wifi-enabled, live feed of data.
sewsleepy's list:
  • PRS2-Specific List:
    • In-line HEPA filter that isn't unweildy.
    • Already available... Dishwasher-safe easy-to-clean tank.
jdm2857's suggestion
  • Activated-charcoal odor-absorbing pre-filter
zoocrewphoto's suggestion
  • Snore detection when mask is off. Mask face-fart detection.
S10-Specific List:
  • Forthcoming... (?)
PRS2-Specific List:
  • Full-color brightness-controllable AMOLED display

Last edited by DreamDiver on Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:55 am, edited 39 times in total.

Sir NoddinOff

Re: What do you want on your next-gen S10, PRS2?

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:01 pm

ASV.

Ha, ha. Just kidding. I know ASV technology is not for everybody and comes with lots of caveats, but how about some trickle down technology already? In mass market machines, how can we safely kIck-start that thoracic diaphragm or central nervous system when it's not behaving? I think it's time for a discussion, which I'm willing to start even tho I'm far from an expert on ASV science.

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

StuUnderPressure

Post by StuUnderPressure » Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:03 pm

I like all of your suggestions.

Only change I would make is to "l"

I would rather see an on screen "warning" that tells me the machine IS still writing to the SD card.

Once that warning is no longer visible, I would know that it is safe to remove the SD card.

No waiting for a on screen que nor beep.
That would require me to stay near the machine until I receive either of those.

SD Card Formatter 5.0.2 https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/format ... index.html

DreamDiver

Post by DreamDiver » Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:17 pm

Sir NoddinOff wrote: ... how can we safely kIck-start that thoracic diaphragm or central nervous system when it's not behaving? I think it's time for a discussion...
Actually, I considered that, but couldn't think about how to word it. Thanks for putting it into words. Why not an inexpensive pre-ASV algorithm? Excellent, Sir NoddinOff.
StuUnderPressure wrote:...I would rather see an on screen "warning" that tells me the machine IS still writing to the SD card...
Much more elegant. With the consideration that we should be able to restart the blower after a short power-off break without having to wait for the warning screen to finish. I'll change it in the list. Excellent, StuUnderPressure.

Thank you both.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:18 pm

AA: Add WiFi or Bluetooth to my computer or smart phone, so I don't need to mess with the card.
BB: Offline data collection and viewing.
CC: Ability to email compliance reports to insurance, if required.

And eliminate temporary auto "features"! (Auto-IQ) This is the one of the scabbiest things they have ever done!

DreamDiver

Post by DreamDiver » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:48 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:AA: Add WiFi or Bluetooth to my computer or smart phone, so I don't need to mess with the card.
BB: Offline data collection and viewing.
CC: Ability to email compliance reports to insurance, if required.

And eliminate temporary auto "features"! (Auto-IQ) This is the one of the scabbiest things they have ever done!
I really like the wifi idea better than bluetooth for a couple reasons: a device can be down the hall, farther away with wifi. Wifi doesn't have device pairing, but is just as secure.

I'm not sure what you mean by offline data collection and viewing. Do you mean high-rate viewing data directly on the blower screen?

I like compliance emails. That's great.

Auto-IQ - designed by "the Devil" to be sure. It's entirely designed to keep patients out of the loop of their own therapy. Pure evil.

Thanks chunkyfrog!

danielqk

Post by danielqk » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:08 pm

"PRS2 auto" algorighm need to be improved. Pressure should increase with breath by breath to clear OSA events.

"PRS2 auto" need a switch to convert cpap to auto and vice versa.

"PRS2 all modes" should be all in one machine with different modes: cpap, auto, bilevel, bilevelS, bilevelST,
bilevel auto, asv..

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:27 pm

By "offline", I mean NOT dependent on the cloud and peering eyes!
(Think Zeo-- )
I want my data viewable on the computer, but not Internet-dependent.
Preferably with Sleepyhead as well as mfr's clinical software.

tetragon

Post by tetragon » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:29 pm

To an extent you guys are too hard on the modes introduced by the AutoIQ that are in the 60 Series Pro. Where I live, the AutoIQ and the 60 Series Pro are the only way people like me can get an auto-capable machine for regular use that the government will cover part of the cost of. In Ontario, APAPs are treated differently to CPAPs and have additional requirements, like minimum pressure requirement of 10 and a difference in requirements of at least 4 between different stages. While the thirty day limit is annoying, they still count as CPAPs, not APAPs.

DreamDiver

Post by DreamDiver » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:32 pm

danielqk wrote:"PRS2 auto" algorighm need to be improved. Pressure should increase with breath by breath to clear OSA events.

"PRS2 all modes" should be all in one machine with different modes: cpap, auto, bilevel, bilevelS, bilevelST,
bilevel auto, asv..
a. What's the current algorithm?
b. You mean the PRS1 Auto does not have a straight CPAP mode? I thought it did.
c. I believe they already have a machine that emulates all other PR machines. I don't think it's available to anybody but sleep labs.

DreamDiver

Post by DreamDiver » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:39 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:By "offline", I mean NOT dependent on the cloud and peering eyes!
(Think Zeo-- )
I want my data viewable on the computer, but not Internet-dependent.
Preferably with Sleepyhead as well as mfr's clinical software.
Privacy - the next frontier, for sure.
I'm pretty sure ResScan is not submitting my data to ResMed central. Do you know better? Have I missed something?
And Sleepyhead is great.

I don't care for the machines that require me to send a code to the company website either.

DreamDiver

Post by DreamDiver » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:45 pm

tetragon wrote:To an extent you guys are too hard on the modes introduced by the AutoIQ that are in the 60 Series Pro. Where I live, the AutoIQ and the 60 Series Pro are the only way people like me can get an auto-capable machine for regular use that the government will cover part of the cost of. In Ontario, APAPs are treated differently to CPAPs and have additional requirements, like minimum pressure requirement of 10 and a difference in requirements of at least 4 between different stages. While the thirty day limit is annoying, they still count as CPAPs, not APAPs.
Thanks for the insight, tetragon. I'll have to think about that one.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:02 pm

danielqk wrote:"PRS2 auto" algorighm need to be improved. Pressure should increase with breath by breath to clear OSA events.

There is no APAP with an algorithm that will attempt to stop an OSA event in progress......and with good reason.

Why? Too lazy to go into the setup configurations?

bilevel auto, asv..
That would be the machine they use in sleep labs.......it's called the "OmniLab Advanced System". Look it up. And, you can't afford it, either.

Den

pootsie

Post by pootsie » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:08 am

Do they have a machine that makes coffee?

That would be nice.

I also dig the compliance and data wifi or email idea. But coffee is better.

You are the Zzz's knees!

DreamDiver

Post by DreamDiver » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:50 am

pootsie wrote:Do they have a machine that makes coffee?

That would be nice.

I also dig the compliance and data wifi or email idea. But coffee is better.
I added this to the list. Okay, I embellished it a little...