Where A CPAP Newbie Should Start

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
LSAT

Re: Where A CPAP Newbie Should Start

Post by LSAT » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:15 am

yoyoyomonica wrote:Now I am very overwhelmed. Seems like lots is involved in this cpap situation. I dont have a machine yet. and go back for the second study on the 15th for the fitting. Just very overwhelmed. I did read this whole thread and dont know where I should begin.
I would begin with getting the proper machine and mask...ask lots of questions of the providor....Then...once you get the machine and mask home and try it for a night or two, let us know your questions.

simsy

Post by simsy » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:19 pm

Hi All

I'm a newbie to this forum, but not to CPAP, having been using a machine for about a year now. It has certainly helped me a lot, although I think I've still got a way to go.

My interest now is in getting hold of a decent mask that doesn't, itself, interfere with my sleep.

I've got a lot of research to do in this forum so I hope the information I need is here somewhere, and maybe I can help someone else with my experiences along the way.

Cheers
simsy

VegasPier

Post by VegasPier » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:19 pm

Test message. I see nowhere a requirment to register. If this message posts, then I guess I do not need to register.

Cheers, VegasPier

debbiep543

Post by debbiep543 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:41 pm

Hi, I am Debbie and I have had my CPAP machine for about 3 weeks now. I am having trouble staying asleep, I don't know if the machine is working correct or if i need to up the pressure or if the nose pillows are in correct. Sounds like a lot to start w/, & I know I have more things to figure out. So for now as my introductory i will leave what i have up and see what I get for information from anyone here. By the way, thank you to everyone that reads this and to any one that might have some info or advice to share.
Debbie

Pachyderm's Nose

Post by Pachyderm's Nose » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:36 pm

debbiep543 wrote:Hi, I am Debbie and I have had my CPAP machine for about 3 weeks now. I am having trouble staying asleep, I don't know if the machine is working correct or if i need to up the pressure or if the nose pillows are in correct. Sounds like a lot to start w/, & I know I have more things to figure out. So for now as my introductory i will leave what i have up and see what I get for information from anyone here. By the way, thank you to everyone that reads this and to any one that might have some info or advice to share.
Debbie
I think you will get more responses and more help by posting a new topic with your information and questions.

Please have your equipment shown as text, it's much easier to tell what model you are using!

DEXSUZ

Post by DEXSUZ » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:11 pm

These are my first 10 days on CPAP. I had a full-face mask for a week and have now switched to a nasal job. All is well except for mangaing to keep my mouth closed to a degree where I don't feel as if clamping my jaws dead shut. Am male, 62.8 years old and use a 10 on my new machine,

What are some simple ways to address my little hassle over keeping my yap closed enough without doing it to headache intensity?

ALL help is gratefully accepted!

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:52 pm

The choices to keep from breathing through your mouth are 1). Use a Full Face Mask 2). Use a chin strap 3). Tape your mouth shut. The Full Face Mask was primarily designed for mouth breathers.

DEXSUZ

Post by DEXSUZ » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:14 am

Thanks, Mr. LSAT. Appreciate your concise wisdom. With your "name" and laconic style, you wouldn't be an attorney, would you? Thanks again. By the way, where did you get that colossal logo with the Badgers, Crew, and Pack on it? I've seen people with those at Miller Park.

mastergss48

Post by mastergss48 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:17 am

I need help getting started ae mail me please i have no ins need this to keep my job mastergss48@yahoo.com

SleepWellCPAP

Post by SleepWellCPAP » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:45 pm

Hello All,

When starting use of pressure therapy equipment, the best first step in my opinion is to educate yourself on the specifics of your condition. What sleep apnea does to a person's health is truly devastating. The more you know about what you are preventing, the more committed and patient you will be when in comes to using your equipment. Put very simply, you need the right mask for you in the right size, it needs to be kept clean, your tube needs to be controlled to prevent leaks, and the right amount of moisture needs to be maintained to prevent drying out your sinuses.

There are a number of good books on the market now that cover in good detail the specifics of getting started. Simply type "CPAP" into the search bar of your favorite on line book vendor and you will see quite a few choices.

Good luck!
Jim Swearingen
Author of the book Sleep Well & Feel Great with CPAP, a definitive guide
For a free copy inquire with your local county librarian
CPAPtalk featured - Also available through Barnes & Noble Booksellers

49er

Post by 49er » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:58 am

mastergss48 wrote:I need help getting started ae mail me please i have no ins need this to keep my job mastergss48@yahoo.com
Just sent you an email.

49er

Tablet95

Post by Tablet95 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:41 am

I am newly diagnosed and I am picking up my new cpap machine on three days. While I'm very excited at the prospect of better sleep and better quality of life I am also very nervous about using this equipment . I have heard some good things from users and also a lot of negative things !!! I realize that all change is scary, but this just seems like a major life long quest

caffeinatedcfo

Post by caffeinatedcfo » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:21 pm

A CPAP Newbie should start by registering and posting their situation in this forum for advice before getting a device if possible!

Drowsy Dancer

Post by Drowsy Dancer » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:51 am

caffeinatedcfo wrote:A CPAP Newbie should start by registering and posting their situation in this forum for advice before getting a device if possible!
This is a GREAT suggestion.

It was only through the grace of G*d that I got a fully data-capable, then-top-of-the-line machine about a week before I found this forum.

How we squander our hours of pain. -- Rilke

zecop

Post by zecop » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:17 pm

Hello friends I am new to this discussion board. I would like to know about how people are coping with this. I am very glad to be the part of this community.
LAZY